PDA

View Full Version : XJ Drivers window problem

Kiwi WJ
30-10-2012, 07:00 PM
ok, a WJ'er has bought an XJ - couldnt resist, it looked good to start a build.

The drivers window has a problem - if you wind it all the way down to rest your arm on it and try to put it up again - it makes a clicking sound (sounds like the motor is going but something is slipping causing the click, click sound.

If I pinch the top of the window and pull it up about an inch - it then goes up again all the way closed.

In the closed position - if I try to close more (no where to go obviously) that same clicking sound is back. It puts it up no issues or sound from an inch above the whether / rubber strip all the way up.

Is the window just off its track or is the regulator stuffed?

Cypher
30-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Have a look at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290734139053?item=290734139053&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160&vxp=mtr

Its a fix for a different issue but if you scroll all the way down the page theres a 'Related Tech Tip', he talks about disassembling the regulator and flipping the spiral cable, this is what you'll need to do. I had a similar issue with mine but it turns out the regulator housing is cracked and even with the cable flipped it gets stuck somtimes.

kyphonii
30-10-2012, 07:54 PM
For 75.00 odd dollars plus freight just buy a new one and get another 10 years out of it.
It the drive stripped.

Cypher
30-10-2012, 08:08 PM
My drivers side one is an aftermarket unit, was fitted before i got the car and its stuffed. I'm gonna get a second hand factory unit and fit up the repair kit and it'll be indestructible.