PDA

View Full Version : XJ Cherokee 2000 VM Diesel Heater

charlie wade
04-11-2012, 01:32 AM
hi everyone im over in the uk and have a 2000 2.5td jeep xj with the VM engine fitted question i have for you all is this, is the heater any good ? mine is kind of ok not very warm, i had a 4.0ltr petrol before and that had a roasting heater but this diesel one is a warm puff more than anything, ive back flushed the matrix to no avail checked the actuators are moving the doors and the pipes to the heater in the engine are to hot to hold when warm
anyway any help appreciated just want to make sure its a rubbish heater before commiting to a new matrix or do the vm diesels have poor heaters
:p:p

layback40
04-11-2012, 05:34 AM
I find mine a bit weak, but more due to having difficulty getting the engine up to temp on cold days. Have thought about a cover over the radiator in the cold weather.
If I am towing a load & its up to the middle of the temp gauge the heater is good.

Mudmonster
04-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I find mine a bit weak, but more due to having difficulty getting the engine up to temp on cold days. Have thought about a cover over the radiator in the cold weather.
If I am towing a load & its up to the middle of the temp gauge the heater is good.

i have the same problem on cold days, heater gets warm but not hot.

charlie wade
04-11-2012, 06:34 AM

ahhh sounds like its just a diesel quirk wonder my temp gauge comes up to 90 degrees but like you say gets warm not hot, thinking that maybe a different thermostat may help?

sfedek
04-11-2012, 07:40 AM
I too have the same problem.
I find that if have the fan on floor & then turn the heater on it restricts the flow to the floor. Same as when i have it on face vents, when i turn up the heat is slows the flow to what ever i have it set to.
I have tried to figure it out but just have no idea & am not going to pull the dash out.
I agree, we have something strange with our heaters.

Eddy

layback40
04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
ahhh sounds like its just a diesel quirk wonder my temp gauge comes up to 90 degrees but like you say gets warm not hot, thinking that maybe a different thermostat may help?

In the cold weather mine struggles to get up 2 bars on the temp gauge. The thermostat is not open. I have wondered if my snorkel is causing very cold air to go in & the intercooler cools it as well. My fuel consumption is slightly greater in the cold weather. Will have to wait till next winter to try the cover.

MM ~ I didnt think it got cold up your way!! ;)
We get below 0 often during the winter in the mornings.Jeep still starts easy though.

Mudmonster
04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
MM ~ I didnt think it got cold up your way!! ;)
We get below 0 often during the winter in the mornings.Jeep still starts easy though.

yeah mate had quite a few cold mornings this year :)

amlav
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
My experience with couple diesel engine cars is that they are just warm
in the cabin when heating is on . Do not know why .
Not much help...but my 2 cent worth .
Cheers,
Andrei

Balkanac
05-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Same here, mine takes 10-15 min to become properly hot, eventho the coolant reaches optimal temp in about 5 min after a cold start

charlie wade
06-11-2012, 03:56 AM

My experience with couple diesel engine cars is that they are just warm
in the cabin when heating is on . Do not know why .
Not much help...but my 2 cent worth .
Cheers,
Andrei

well i cant believe that jeep would make such a balls up,lol on the heating front its been around 2 degrees this week and the heater is just about warm so dont know whether or not to go for it and fit a new matrix or just buy some gloves lol :D good tho people are commenting tho has anyone got a jeep with a vm diesel that has a hot heater be good to hear from them

charlie wade
11-11-2012, 09:13 PM
well guys i bit the bullet and fitted a new matrix took me a good day took the seats out then the steering colomn then the dash and finally the heater box new matrix in with some new sealing foams lubrd up the piviots and voila have heat and intrestily enough now runs at 90 degrees where it was running at 85 before ??? how bizare but once upto temp heater is nice and hot
so thankyou for all your help
;)

Adrian D
12-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Mine's always been great during cold weather. It could even get too warm inside.