View Full Version : TJ idle - revving high

wes
08-11-2012, 08:23 AM
I have a 97 3 speed auto.

It's currently revving high in Neutral (or Park) - about 1500 RPM.

Drives OK and no CEL or codes.

IAC and throttle body clean as a whistle.

HVAC works OK so I'm guessing no vaccuum leaks.

When I disconnect the TPS, revs return to normal so I'm guessing a bad TPS.

Question - Is it OK to drive around with the TPS disconnected till I get a replacement?

Dustbowl
08-11-2012, 08:47 AM
I have a 97 3 speed auto.

It's currently revving high in Neutral (or Park) - about 1500 RPM.

Drives OK and no CEL or codes.

IAC and throttle body clean as a whistle.

HVAC works OK so I'm guessing no vaccuum leaks.

When I disconnect the TPS, revs return to normal so I'm guessing a bad TPS.

Question - Is it OK to drive around with the TPS disconnected till I get a replacement?

Hahaha you got it Wes, that sounds spot on the money :)

wes
08-11-2012, 10:17 AM
haha - yeah, there's hope for me yet.

Just wondering though, if the Jeep runs fine without the TPS, do I even need it?
Obviously it's there for a reason but just seems weird you can make your vehicle run better by disconnecting one of the components.

Jeeps
08-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I've been driving mine around for the last 2-3 months like that. I replaced my TPS on monday after it arrived from rock auto ($34 + postage). Can't believe i waited so long to do it, feels like a new jeep!

It's a 5 min job but remember, to get the clip/harness off the sensor do this:

1) Pull the red clip lock back.
2) Push the little plastic pin release DOWN
3) Don't just pull the harness off, PUSH and pull it a bit while holding down the pin release. You'll feel it release, you sometimes need to push it to release it. If you force it while pulling, it could break the pin if it hasn't fully released. You kinda hear/feel a click when it releases.
4) THEN unbolt the sensor. It needs a torx socket.

cheers!

wes
08-11-2012, 10:30 PM
I drove around today with the TPS disconnected and the Jeep did behave a bit differently but I thought it was better than leaving the TPS connected and over-revving all the time.
With the TPS disconnected it certainly used a lot more fuel - I'm glad I found a new TPS to pick up tommorrow morning even though it's costing a lot more than the Rockauto bargain in Jeeps post.

Thankfully my '97 doesn't have one of those horrid red clip locks on the sensor connector - I always manage to stuff those up.