View Full Version : Front Ujoint stuffed. Looking at Yoke conversion.

SKU113
08-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Hey guys. New here and just getting into this so any help would be much appreciated. My front Ujoint has a bit of play in it so I obviously want to replace it before I start hitting the trails but one of the bolt heads on the strap is broken and looks like being a bugger to get of, probably have to grind it, so i was thinking while im doing it I might as well change the yoke to a Ubolt setup. Im looking at this kit-
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190748846973#shId
Seems a fair upgrade for $110 bucks. What do you all think. Also are there any special tools required for this or is a simple slide out slide in swap? Also while I have the shaft out should I just go ahead and change the Ujoint on the other end to be safe. I havent checked it yet as I havent taken the under panel off. Cheers.

Tallpieman
08-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey guys. New here and just getting into this so any help would be much appreciated. My front Ujoint has a bit of play in it so I obviously want to replace it before I start hitting the trails but one of the bolt heads on the strap is broken and looks like being a bugger to get of, probably have to grind it, so i was thinking while im doing it I might as well change the yoke to a Ubolt setup. Im looking at this kit-
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190748846973#shId
Seems a fair upgrade for $110 bucks. What do you all think. Also are there any special tools required for this or is a simple slide out slide in swap? Also while I have the shaft out should I just go ahead and change the Ujoint on the other end to be safe. I havent checked it yet as I havent taken the under panel off. Cheers.

I recently bought the same kit from same supplier, its all good.It comes with the greasable uni, which some say is weaker, but lasts longer in wet, muddy conditions ....
Your biggest problem might be with retorquing the pinion nut due to the crush washer set up in your LP 30.You have to get it right or good bye pinion bearings.... I avoided this by going to a HP 30.
You shouldnt need to remove the skid plate to get the front tailshaft out... its just a little awkward.
If I were you I would google.... "how to re torque pinion nut on Dana LP 30"

and welcome to the forum.

SKU113
08-11-2012, 02:06 PM
haha youve thrown me with the hp30! I thought I had all my plans sorted, saving to regear and auto lock, but now after a bit of research im thinking maybe i source a hp30 and get it all done off the car which would make life easier in the mean time. can you give me a bit more info on how your swap went? I have a 2000 so it has the newer type brakes right? do you know what model xj or yj would be best to get one off? and finally this yoke kit will still fit straight on right?

Tallpieman
08-11-2012, 03:01 PM
haha youve thrown me with the hp30! I thought I had all my plans sorted, saving to regear and auto lock, but now after a bit of research im thinking maybe i source a hp30 and get it all done off the car which would make life easier in the mean time. can you give me a bit more info on how your swap went? I have a 2000 so it has the newer type brakes right? do you know what model xj or yj would be best to get one off? and finally this yoke kit will still fit straight on right?

I havent finished it yet, nearly, its locked and regeared and bolted in, steering and brakes to go and its done.... I think your after a 96-00 xj diff... you'll want adjustable front lower control arms due to xj adjustment being on the chassis and tj adjustment being on the diff..... everything seems to be going together well.Your brake rotor year needs to be matched to your unit bearing year and should all swap over to any HP30 you get.... I dont think there were any major differences with any Aus sold xj HP's(dont forget about 2001 they went to LP...)
I bought mine of Jungle Juice for $150, and just being able to keep the car on the road while I mucked around locking and regearing made it worthwhile.
Hope this helps.

garth
08-11-2012, 03:50 PM
i just put in 3 brand new uni's, both rear drive shaft and front drive shaft in the jeep, was easy as, cost me all in all 90 for all the parts, and bingo pressed them in no hastles, i did look at the conversion above, but didnt see the point in it for me personly