PDA

View Full Version : Okay, now I'm really confused!

Dustbowl
10-11-2012, 08:19 AM
So.... Climbing the mountain at the wattos the other weekend I let a toss pot mate of mine drive my jeep (bad idea) he flogged it up there and it over heated :wall: now I flushed the coolant about a month ago because it was dirty and she got hot on the beach, the coolant as back to the shitty brown colour...
We topped it up with water and had a good day, he crawled back into his vitara for fear of his life.
Now this shitty brown coolant suggests it's really old or even rust, a mate of mine assured me the guts of the radiators are brass, so I'll rule that out, I've heard horror stories of water pump impellas rusting off, but weirdest thing, is the bottle of coolant I mixed up, sitting in the sun it has gone brown too!!!!

I don't get it!

I'll flush the system again and see what happens

undecided
10-11-2012, 08:37 AM
what coolant are you using ?

Dustbowl
10-11-2012, 08:45 AM
what coolant are you using ?

Don't remember, maybe nulon, concentrate, I went for the upper middle shelf, I'm not a tight arse when it comes to my jeep, but I didn't use the super deer stuff either :p

Raisins78
10-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Its not the organic stuff is it?

Dustbowl
10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Its not the organic stuff is it?

Hahaha you know I stay off that stuff mate :p

kyphonii
10-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Flush it till clean water runs out with the hoses off on one end, take the time to fabricate a hose fitting that will fit tight in a hose, there is a cone shaped hose end that works a treat, I forget the brand.
Flush the heater lines out through the top 3/4 hose.
My jeep has a 95 degree thermostat so my temp runs 95 to 105 and thats fine, Its what the factory set it to run at. You have cast iron head and block, they don't melt at 110 degrees. Then use a brand name recommended conditioner.
The system has a bit of every thing in it there's iron , aluminium, copper and so on. The jeeps can stand quite high temps with little to no effect. Stop panicking about 100 degrees as it means SFA. If your flogging the jeep (over 1500 rpm) then you should not heat up as the main fan is pulling heaps of air at 1500+, Check all your components in the cooling system one by one. The worst thing to do is idle through heavy going. Low range and 2000 rpm and you are laughing.

Dustbowl
10-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Flush it till clean water runs out with the hoses off on one end, take the time to fabricate a hose fitting that will fit tight in a hose, there is a cone shaped hose end that works a treat, I forget the brand.
Flush the heater lines out through the top 3/4 hose.
My jeep has a 95 degree thermostat so my temp runs 95 to 105 and thats fine, Its what the factory set it to run at. You have cast iron head and block, they don't melt at 110 degrees. Then use a brand name recommended conditioner.
The system has a bit of every thing in it there's iron , aluminium, copper and so on. The jeeps can stand quite high temps with little to no effect. Stop panicking about 100 degrees as it means SFA. If your flogging the jeep (over 1500 rpm) then you should not heat up as the main fan is pulling heaps of air at 1500+, Check all your components in the cooling system one by one. The worst thing to do is idle through heavy going. Low range and 2000 rpm and you are laughing.
Thanks mate, you're a legend.
I'll give all these a go and run from there, lots of top info, she normally sits bang on 100 and cast iron blocks, bloody indestructible!