PDA

View Full Version : Help me out

Magnum PI
15-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Ok, my son wants to buy his first Jeep and he seems to be sold on the XJ range or similar Cherokee, just something cheapish but not a dog box, what should i look out for? common problems etc etc, dont want him to get burnt buying someone elses problem

Dustbowl
15-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Look for oil leaks from the trans cooler lines, and up the back of the sump,
The ps pump an water pump like to be done around 200000 ks,
Apart from that they are foolhardy reliable and awesome all over,
We could argue all day about pre and post update :p
Just avoid 2001 models :p

anthonygubbin
15-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Don't get me started. Use my name in the search and you will see other threads where I have already given an exaustive list of common probs.

Regards A

Magnum PI
15-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Don't get me started. Use my name in the search and you will see other threads where I have already given an exaustive list of common probs.

Regards A

sounds like a long read??

I realise its all probably been gone over before, but now you guys have owned one, would you opt for a different model? Classic, Sport, limited or limited classic? Petrol or Diesel? these are a few he is looking at at the moment, al around his price range, http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/compare.aspx?silo=Stock&vertical=Car

anthonygubbin
15-11-2012, 02:14 PM
sounds like a long read??

I realise its all probably been gone over before, but now you guys have owned one, would you opt for a different model? Classic, Sport, limited or limited classic? Petrol or Diesel? these are a few he is looking at at the moment, al around his price range, http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/compare.aspx?silo=Stock&vertical=Car

2-3.5k will get a 95 and earlier. 4-5.5k will get an early update 97-98. Stay away from the 96 and 97 preupdate it is a hibrid model it was when they started moving to a OBD2 engine and they used a mis match of bits on them.

Regards A

kj69
15-11-2012, 02:31 PM
diesel is too expensive to repair if something goes arse up ,and parts are not as easy to find .

Hamsteh
15-11-2012, 03:26 PM
I have a 96 and I wouldn't say its difficult at all, <95 parts for everything except O2 sensors so far.

I'd go whatever you find in good nick for cheap, I don't think the differences between models (Classic/Sport/etc) to really lean you in any direction.

Updates are a nicer interior, if that matters to you, but again are a little more expensive as stated.

Be sure to check out interstate models as there are some great deals floating around NSW and WA for some reason, that could just warrant the cost of getting them brought across.

There are a few of us located Melbourne too that would be happy to help out

junglejuice
15-11-2012, 03:33 PM
2-3.5k will get a 95 and earlier. 4-5.5k will get an early update 97-98. Stay away from the 96 and 97 preupdate it is a hibrid model it was when they started moving to a OBD2 engine and they used a mis match of bits on them.

Regards A

In my experience with pre-updates, which is a fair bit, I would absolutely no problem with a 96 OBD2 unit, you just need to be aware that some of the sensors may be OBD1 or ODB2 units, thats all, it isn't difficult if you are aware.

Everybody pretty much knows I like pre-updates, I don't deny that, if I had my time again I reckon I would buy a Limited or a Classic just for the styling, a Limited I would like just for the ABS.
What I personally wouldn't buy is a 94....

bruggz351
15-11-2012, 03:49 PM
What I personally wouldn't buy is a 94....

Why is that Jj?

junglejuice
15-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Why is that Jj?

The floor pan is different in the 94 meaning that any other Xj seat or GC seat won't fit, there are other differences as well such as no airbag, a somewhat dated looking steering wheel, the cruise control buttons are on the steering wheel in the 95- models which make them a little more ergonomic.
The front diff unis are also smaller then the later models meaning they are weaker.
Minor issues I know, everything can be updated including the seating issue if you want to add the crossmembers for the seats to mount on (I have seen it done albeit roughly)....

rainman
16-11-2012, 08:13 AM
If i was to do it again i would go for a obd2 vehicle, so 96 onwards. A smart phone with app and a $30 dongle and you can see exactly what your engine is up to, makes trouble shooting much easier. Give the 2001 a miss as stated before. Just as a driver. if the plan was to mod the jeep, then would be looking for something with no abs ( axel upgrades are easier). Would be keeping a keen eye out for the '97-'98 models as some came with a 8.25 diff, which is significantly stronger then the usual d35 rear.a nice to have more than anything.

BennyWA
16-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Make sure the air con works.... mine was a dash out job and cost me $1300!!

Turismo07
16-11-2012, 10:36 AM
What's wrong with the 2001 models? Is that when Jeep started running out of parts and started bringing out random runout models which actually had less (i.e. no LSD etc)?

junglejuice
16-11-2012, 10:46 AM
The 01 model had the inferior Lp d30 like the Tj's and Zg's used, they also had the worst, most prone to cracking head...

Dustbowl
16-11-2012, 11:41 AM
The 01 model had the inferior Lp d30 like the Tj's and Zg's used, they also had the worst, most prone to cracking head...

Thank you :)

Pre and post both have ups and downs, post update were tougher in the body, pre update were better with electrics ( not that the post are prone to them), and pre updates are kinda prettier, try hard to avoid renix!!

layback40
16-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Just avoid 2001 models :p

I take it you are talking about 2001 build not 2001 first registered.
mine is 2001 first reg, late 2000 build & does not have the 2001 diff.
I suspect there were a few 2000 ones in dealers just before the 2001 ones started to arrive.

Dustbowl
16-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I take it you are talking about 2001 build not 2001 first registered.
mine is 2001 first reg, late 2000 build & does not have the 2001 diff.
I suspect there were a few 2000 ones in dealers just before the 2001 ones started to arrive.

Oh, yeah :p

You gotta check the vin not the rego stuff :p

junglejuice
16-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Thank you :)

Pre and post both have ups and downs, post update were tougher in the body, pre update were better with electrics ( not that the post are prone to them), and pre updates are kinda prettier, try hard to avoid renix!!

We never got the Renix units here....

layback40
16-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I would go for a reasonably stock standard one. Low Km if you can find ~ under 200,000km is best. They are about. Plan on him spending a couple of 1000 in the first year. Try & convince him not to make it into a cop magnet. The update is much more refined inside. Regardless of the year, they have their faults. As he is young & a diesel would feel dead to him, the petrol 4l would be best for him. If you can have it on duel fuel he will find it cheaper to run. A big thing for a young guy who has little income.
look underneath it to see how much abuse it has had.
Good paint either means its been repainted or kept in a garage. repaint could be hiding rust or accident damage.

Raisins78
16-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I love my 1995 Sport. First time Jeep owner, and can not complain.
Obviously buying a car under $5000 (mine was $2000 with rego) is going to come with a few problems, worn out parts etc.
I am yet to find an expensive part or upgrade, and im starting to run out of things to replace (I am replacing everything I can because I want zero problems, not because anything was broken....except the NSS lol)
I would set a budget....eg $6000, find a vehicle for $3000-$4000 and spend the change on replacing a few things, full service, a few upgrades etc
This site can help with all of them

Raisins78
16-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I would go for a reasonably stock standard one. Low Km if you can find ~ under 200,000km is best. They are about. Plan on him spending a couple of 1000 in the first year. Try & convince him not to make it into a cop magnet. The update is much more refined inside. Regardless of the year, they have their faults. As he is young & a diesel would feel dead to him, the petrol 4l would be best for him. If you can have it on duel fuel he will find it cheaper to run. A big thing for a young guy who has little income.
look underneath it to see how much abuse it has had.
Good paint either means its been repainted or kept in a garage. repaint could be hiding rust or accident damage.

My point exactly. If you have $5000, and you buy a car for $4999.99 your going to have problems, in any brand of car. Always leave room for extra costs.

layback40
16-11-2012, 09:40 PM
My point exactly. If you have $5000, and you buy a car for $4999.99 your going to have problems, in any brand of car. Always leave room for extra costs.
Yes we agree !! ;):idea::D;)

Raisins78
17-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Also from what I have read, the 1995 seems to be a popular choice...I was just lucky that mine was a 95....I only bought it for the price, and Ive always wanted to try a Jeep. Apparently the 95 has the better body, bit with the OBD1 motor. I couldn't give you too much info on the why's and how's, but Thats what ive read

Magnum PI
17-11-2012, 05:22 PM
A Big Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, will let you know what we find and how it all goes

timmy91
17-11-2012, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=rainman;1333265]If i was to do it again i would go for a obd2 vehicle, so 96 onwards. A smart phone with app and a $30 dongle and you can see exactly what your engine is up to

What's this app and 'dongle' your talking about rainman?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

rainman
18-11-2012, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=rainman;1333265]If i was to do it again i would go for a obd2 vehicle, so 96 onwards. A smart phone with app and a $30 dongle and you can see exactly what your engine is up to

What's this app and 'dongle' your talking about rainman?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=3&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=elm+327&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

or for Iphone/ pad you need a wifi dongal not a bluetooth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WIFI-OBD2-Wireless-Car-Diagnostic-Reader-Scanner-Adapter-for-iPhone-5-4S-/360512836559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f03d53cf

the app for Iphone i can not remember, search OBD2 in the app store, i do remember they want $50 for it however.