View Full Version : Need Help asap re. TJ XJ compatibility

SKU113
16-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey all. Ive been chasing a hp front diff from an xj to work on and rebuild but couldnt find much up my way but I now have the chance to buy a complete car for a dirt cheap price but im trying to decide if the parts i could recycle of it and the potential money i could make wrecking the rest of it is worth having it taking up space in my drive and the grief my missus is going to give me over it. Other than the diff the main thing i need is a steering box as mine is proper stuffed. it was hard to see it on the xj but i figured surely they used the same one? both mine and the xj are 2000 sports models. what other bits would be worth keeping off it and like the hp diff are there any "upgrades" i could use? also was interested in the airbox sitting on the intake side with the much smaller hose. would make a much better basis for a cai system. is this swap possible? any other ideas or info would be greatly appreciated but i need to know soon so i dont miss out on the sale. cheers.

Tallpieman
16-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey all. Ive been chasing a hp front diff from an xj to work on and rebuild but couldnt find much up my way but I now have the chance to buy a complete car for a dirt cheap price but im trying to decide if the parts i could recycle of it and the potential money i could make wrecking the rest of it is worth having it taking up space in my drive and the grief my missus is going to give me over it. Other than the diff the main thing i need is a steering box as mine is proper stuffed. it was hard to see it on the xj but i figured surely they used the same one? both mine and the xj are 2000 sports models. what other bits would be worth keeping off it and like the hp diff are there any "upgrades" i could use? also was interested in the airbox sitting on the intake side with the much smaller hose. would make a much better basis for a cai system. is this swap possible? any other ideas or info would be greatly appreciated but i need to know soon so i dont miss out on the sale. cheers.

You should list a location..... peoples in your area are more likely to respond.

fil
16-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Where abouts are you located?

SKU113
16-11-2012, 07:56 PM
im in townsville but im really not sure why that matters? were townsville models different to the rest of aus? wait mine was bought in sydney originally. hmmmm

fil
16-11-2012, 08:01 PM
The main problem you will have is having to freight stuff as you will notice there is not too much jeep activity up our way. This will add to the costs for the buyers and make the parts harder to move. If its any help to you I have a HP d30 and a tj steering box. I can prolly get them to charters towers for you if you can get them from there

SKU113
16-11-2012, 08:07 PM
yeah i had considered the whole freight thing in terms of selling parts but i figured id just try and get rid of the smaller stuff that is easier to break down for shipping. it has all electric options, roof racks and stuff like that. mainly want to know what off it i can use myself for the tj. and yeah i could definitely get to charters. can you pm me a price? thanks mate.

Jonny Jeep
17-11-2012, 04:44 AM
XJ steering boxes will be a direct replacement for a 97-02 TJ box though some are 4 turns lock-lock rather than the three a TJ has. If you swap your box do it with the wheels straight ahead and do one of the following... either, slide the seat forward and thread the seat belt through the bottom of the steering wheel then clip it in place. Or, put a bungee through the bottom of the steering wheel and hook it to the brake pedal. Either method will stop the steering wheel from spinning freely while the box is disconnected. If it spins, the clockspring can be broken, and to check it's not broken and center it you'd need a puller to remove the steering wheel and get the clockspring off.