PDA

View Full Version : I've been thinkin bout rear shocks...

bruggz351
17-11-2012, 05:47 PM
G'day peoples.
1. What is the reason for the XJ having the rear shocks on different sides of the diff?

2. Would there be any detrimental effects to the safe handling of my XJ if I mount both shocks BEHIND the diff?

For me, the only reason I can think for number 1 is to resist torsional effects of acceleration on the rear axle. ?? I dunno...

Shortly, I will be modding the 8.8, and was toying with the idea of mounting the D/S shock on the rear of the axle. I know a new upper mount will be needed, I've been thinking of upgrading/strengthening the upper mounts anyway. Good opportunity for both.

Also, the exhaust will most likely need moving because of the pinion on the 8.8 and so would probably need moving for shock relocation as well.

As for Q.2, I see an awful lot of vehicles with the shocks both mounted at the rear of the axle, so, no undesirable handling should be introduced.

Am I mad??

cheers

layback40
17-11-2012, 05:51 PM
They probably made the diff with the same shock mount on both sides & it was necessary to turn it around to mount it.

junglejuice
18-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Lots of vehicles have the shocks on either side like the Xj does, there would be a reason, I don't know what it is but there'd be one...

Steve F
18-11-2012, 08:26 AM
It reduces axle tramp on a spring over vehicle, basically helps to stop the diff twisting in the leafs under torque with a shock either side of the axle.

Cheers
Steve

bruggz351
18-11-2012, 11:56 AM
It reduces axle tramp on a spring over vehicle, basically helps to stop the diff twisting in the leafs under torque with a shock either side of the axle.

Cheers
Steve

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. Ta muchly. I shall leave all as is then and just deal with the top mounts.

cheers

Raisins78
18-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Cheers
Steve
Beat me to it....lol