PDA

View Full Version : OBD1 XJ fuel leaks.

Raisins78
18-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi all.
We just got back from a shake down run and we have a very strong fuel smell coming in the cab.
Here is the details.
40 degree day
mixed low range and highway.
A/C on full blast
Engine sat between 100-105ish Deg C all day
Comes and goes, but got worse on the way home.
250km's travelled today. (alot of corrugated roads)
Could not find a visible leak, wet hose or join etc.

Is there a common area I should be looking at?
Could this just be the tank venting? (Was super strong smell)
I really want to find it before our big christmas trip.
Not only for fuel economy, but safety too.
I have inspected both lines from fuel rail to tank, nothing.
Inspected again with the car running, no wet hose/joins etc anywhere.

Any idea guys?

Used half a tank over the 250km's too. (39L according to the bowser, filled as we left, filled when we got back)

*edit. Car has sat for 30min, still heaps of pressure in the supply rail, so im guessing its either on the return line, or vibration/corrugation related i.e. I cant replicate it when I am stopped)

layback40
18-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Can you see any wet with fuel areas?

Tank breather?

junglejuice
18-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Is there any pressure when you undo the fuel cap?

banky
18-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Mine had a leak where the fuel line goes under the inlet manifold

Raisins78
19-11-2012, 11:35 PM
No Wet area's anywhere. Banky, was yours on the hard line, or the rubber hose?
Mine smelt like it was in the engine bay or nearby.
I replaced all my injector O-rings as I was getting a small vacuum noise from a couple of them (manifold side of the injectors were leaking, not fuel rail side, so I doubt this was the cause of the smell)
I am about to rip all the rubber/plastic hose sections out, swage the ends of the hard lines, and replace with high pressure fuel line (that I have in the shed, from the Supercharged VN V8 days.....just like the injector O=rings lol)

Raisins78
19-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Is there any pressure when you undo the fuel cap?
No. Breather pot (Charcoal canister) in the engine bay seems to work, no leaks etc.
All the hose's I have checked seem fine, they seal well onto the hard lines etc.
It really annoys me when I cant find something like this...I end up rebuilding the whole system from scratch!

I am going to drop the tank when its close to empty in case its one of the lines on top of the tank.
I have a new fuel pump here so ill do that too while its out.....Still have to install the sub tank, but want to find this problem first

kyphonii
20-11-2012, 04:10 AM
One of ours had a hose leaking at the filler. smell of fuel through the cab.

Raisins78
21-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I've decided to just replace the entire system. I'm bending up stainless line to replace the hard lines, and using 1000psi fuel hose for the flexible bits.
I bought a 50m roll a few years back for the VN, had diesels since so ill get to use it finally....

Raisins78
21-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Also can anyone link a seller/eBay ad/shop that sells one way fuel check valves for EFI?
All I can find is screw in ones for bosh pumps etc. I just want one with barbs on it to stick inline after each pump.