PDA

View Full Version : Brake specs 1998 XJ TDI

mud_slut
18-11-2012, 11:24 PM
hi,

just looking at doing an overhaul of my brakes and need some advice. i need to replace the front rotors as the mechanic that welded some new LCAs' on for me inspected the brakes and said they were servilely undersized.
What replacements are people using for rotors? I was thinking slotted DBAs'

http://www.dba.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/AusCat05AUG2011v2.pdf

which i think based on that guide is their street series

http://www.dba.com.au/products/street/

or their Street Heavy Duty 4000xs series

http://www.dba.com.au/products/street-heavy-duty/hd-4000xs/

I was thinking of just going with the Street series as i don't see the benefit for cross drilled rotor when they could get clogged up with mud.

Does anyone recommend any other brands for rotors ? I was only going to stay with DBA as its what we use on the race car and i think its fairly reliable for its price..

I'm also going to be overhauling the rear drums and i'm looking at replacing the shoes and cylinders. With respect to a 1998 TDI model what size drum would i have a 229mm or a 254mm ?? The Bendix website wasn't too clear on which model required which drum..the most i can get out of this website is that i need a BS1715 part no.

http://www.bendix.com.au/catalogue?manufacturer=Jeep&model=Cherokee#

Thanks in advance for the help again :)

junglejuice
19-11-2012, 06:33 AM
The diesel diff that I used to have had 229mm drums as I am certain they were the same size as the petrols...

layback40
19-11-2012, 07:53 AM
The diesel diff that I used to have had 229mm drums as I am certain they were the same size as the petrols...

Yes, the diesels have the standard 9" drum brakes & 3/4" wheel cylinders.

mud_slut
19-11-2012, 08:46 AM

thanks guys... any reccomendations for new rotors ?? everyone happy with DBA ?

junglejuice
19-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I have DBA slotted rotors in the front of my XR6 if that is any help....

mud_slut
19-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I have DBA slotted rotors in the front of my XR6 if that is any help....

haha yeah i have them in the front of my rx7 too, i definitely rate them for road use..i was just seeing if anyone uses them for offroad use as mud and other gunk could get in the slots but yeah unsure..would be happy to hear opinions.

thanks all for the advice so far :)

mud_slut
21-11-2012, 08:32 AM

So i was able to confirm i have 9" drums as i have a Dana 35 and no ABS, apparently only the models with ABS came with 10" drums ??

I spoke to Repco regarding the wheel cylinder and they have no idea what im on about when i mention i need a 3/4". They say they stock either a 22.64 mm or a 22.22 mm (bore size ) for my car. The 22.64 is the same part for each side where as the 22.22 bore has a cylinder specific to the left and right hand side.

Any ideas on which one i need ? i kinda need to replace them for a roady

layback40
21-11-2012, 03:03 PM
So i was able to confirm i have 9" drums as i have a Dana 35 and no ABS, apparently only the models with ABS came with 10" drums ??

I spoke to Repco regarding the wheel cylinder and they have no idea what im on about when i mention i need a 3/4". They say they stock either a 22.64 mm or a 22.22 mm (bore size ) for my car. The 22.64 is the same part for each side where as the 22.22 bore has a cylinder specific to the left and right hand side.

Any ideas on which one i need ? i kinda need to replace them for a roady

the guy you spoke to at Repco must be a work experience kid. probably not old enough to know what an inch is.
I dont know your location, you havent bothered putting it in your signature, but if you were near me I could suggest a brake place to try. Best you get your phone book out & look up ABS or any other brake & clutch place close to you in the yellow pages.
I know for my jeep the cylinders are identical ~ same on both sides.
Repco took over PBR many years ago. Any of the older guys would know.
If you are just going to replace the complete wheel cylinders, best you take them out & take them with you to the place you plan on getting them from so you can compare. Thats what I did with the cups.

mud_slut
21-11-2012, 06:48 PM
the guy you spoke to at Repco must be a work experience kid. probably not old enough to know what an inch is.
I dont know your location, you haven't bothered putting it in your signature, but if you were near me I could suggest a brake place to try. Best you get your phone book out & look up ABS or any other brake & clutch place close to you in the yellow pages.
I know for my jeep the cylinders are identical ~ same on both sides.
Repco took over PBR many years ago. Any of the older guys would know.
If you are just going to replace the complete wheel cylinders, best you take them out & take them with you to the place you plan on getting them from so you can compare. Thats what I did with the cups.

cheers for the tip. ill call abs tomorrow, i have one near me in mornington.
i tried contacting PBR today and just got nothing back.

layback40
21-11-2012, 09:24 PM
cheers for the tip. ill call abs tomorrow, i have one near me in mornington.
i tried contacting PBR today and just got nothing back.

Abs gave me an unbeatable price on brake shoes.
You will do much better if you call in & see them. that way you are not just another shopping for a good price.

mud_slut
22-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Abs gave me an unbeatable price on brake shoes.
You will do much better if you call in & see them. that way you are not just another shopping for a good price.

yeah ABS saved the day, have all the parts in the warehouse. is it worth investing in one of those spring pulling tools for this job or could i get away with needle nose pliers ?

Wooders
22-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Proper spring pulling tools make the job much nicer - otherwise needlenose vise grips.
Also whilst you are doing the rear shoes, it's worth getting spring & self Adjuster kits so the entire contents of the drum are new.

layback40
23-11-2012, 06:50 AM
yeah ABS saved the day, have all the parts in the warehouse. is it worth investing in one of those spring pulling tools for this job or could i get away with needle nose pliers ?
I made a spring puller out of a piece of fencing wire about 25 years ago. I still use it. Saves skinned knuckles & blood blisters. Have seen a guy cop a spring in the face. A good time to have safety glasses on !!
When putting the locating pin & spring things back, I find it easier to push the spring & cap in & then insert the pin through the backing plate & wiggle it around until it goes through the hole & then turn it 1/4 turn.

mud_slut
23-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Proper spring pulling tools make the job much nicer - otherwise needlenose vise grips.
Also whilst you are doing the rear shoes, it's worth getting spring & self Adjuster kits so the entire contents of the drum are new.

Yeah i definitely agree with you there. unfortunately im under the pump to have it done by Monday for a road worthy so ill have to skip it for now. i will definitely be replacing them in the near future.

mud_slut
23-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I made a spring puller out of a piece of fencing wire about 25 years ago. I still use it. Saves skinned knuckles & blood blisters. Have seen a guy cop a spring in the face. A good time to have safety glasses on !!
When putting the locating pin & spring things back, I find it easier to push the spring & cap in & then insert the pin through the backing plate & wiggle it around until it goes through the hole & then turn it 1/4 turn.

wow will definitely wear glasses for this one then..cheers for the advice.

mud_slut
25-11-2012, 08:47 AM
is it common to have to force the drum on when you change the shoes ? i pretty much have to put it on with a rubber mallot and back the handbrake right off to do it in the process. i did go with the 228mm shoes as suggested by various places but have a feeling they might be to big. the car still drives fine, but you can feel it struggling a little bit from the lights.

im looking at replacing the drums as well however i dont know how it would go if these old ones are having a hard time fitting on.

should i be ok just letting it wear down over time or should i look at replacing the shoes ?