PDA

View Full Version : flares to suit wheel tyre combo

dudoop
20-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Ok bought some 35 x 13.5 x 15 bfg krawlers they are brand new fitted up to a set of eagle alloy 15 x 10 rims back spaceing is about 3.75 inches bought these of a guy who ran 37s on them on a TJ .So all fitted up with rugged Ridge 7 inch flares and presto they stick out of the flare by 2 1/2 inches each side.

So what do people run as flares to cover this size set up should have gone the 33s on 15 x 8s that I was going to .To many years running comp cars got the better of me.

Were am i different have seen so many TJs over the years running 35s no worries with 7 inch flares any help would be great.

Duncan

crawl3r
21-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Ok bought some 35 x 13.5 x 15 bfg krawlers they are brand new fitted up to a set of eagle alloy 15 x 10 rims back spaceing is about 3.75 inches bought these of a guy who ran 37s on them on a TJ .So all fitted up with rugged Ridge 7 inch flares and presto they stick out of the flare by 2 1/2 inches each side.

So what do people run as flares to cover this size set up should have gone the 33s on 15 x 8s that I was going to .To many years running comp cars got the better of me.

Were am i different have seen so many TJs over the years running 35s no worries with 7 inch flares any help would be great.

Duncan

ideally you wanted 35x12.5x15 with 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing and that would be perfect with 7inch flares

because you have gone and wider tyre combined which a wider rim thats the reason your still sticking out so far. the only option you really have is to go to like clark rubber and buy those 2" flare extensions and bolt them onto your 7" flares. Also keep en eye on your hubs for any movement, they are going to be under a lot of stress which such a wide stance.

hope that helps :)

dudoop
21-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeh your pretty well telling me what I was going to do only with some 33s.

So how do you see these 2 options for me

1 stay with 35 x 13.5s stick them on a 15 x 8 with 3.75 back spaceing and yeh I know it will be a tight fit and probably illegal

2 or fit some 33 or 35 12.5s to the 15 x 10s that I have

with either of these options do you think ill end up inside the guards

supose there is option 3 let the wife continualy tell me she was right and I was wrong sell everything and go by some 33s on 15 x 8 rims

crawl3r
21-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeh your pretty well telling me what I was going to do only with some 33s.

So how do you see these 2 options for me

1 stay with 35 x 13.5s stick them on a 15 x 8 with 3.75 back spaceing and yeh I know it will be a tight fit and probably illegal

2 or fit some 33 or 35 12.5s to the 15 x 10s that I have

with either of these options do you think ill end up inside the guards

supose there is option 3 let the wife continualy tell me she was right and I was wrong sell everything and go by some 33s on 15 x 8 rims

dont go 33's....you will regret it and wish you went 35's so thats that problem solved.

personally i recon sell the lot and start again, you could keep the rims but im assuming they are 3.75bbs which means they are still gonna stick out a lot because it's 15x10.

buy new rims 15x8 with 3.75bbs and 35x12.5x15 and you wont have any problems at all....it will sit just inside the 7 flares....i was running that set up with 6" flares and mine was just sticking out like 1-1.5cm all round.

dudoop
21-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Did think of option 4 by some 15 x 8 rims with 4 1/2 back spaceing thinking along the lines that im saveing 2 inches on rim size and 3/4 inch back spaceing so there now inside the flares pay off would be that i would have to adjust the steering stops and loose some turning circle also not sure how it would affect tyre contact on the inside of the guards when flexed up was thinking of extra bump stops and lowering the upper shock mounts so lots of down travel ran my comp cars this way make side angles a breeze as you sit on the bump stops.

bobby dazzla
22-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi mate just replied to your pm so ignore that thought I would put it here for everyone,

I am running 35x12.5 pro comps on 15" MT classic rims. I am running the 7 inch flares and I am still hanging out of the flares an inch or 2.

Just something for everyone to be aware of is in WA it's a new law that the edge of the flare can't be more than 400mm from the outside edge of the headlight so a 7 inch flare is illegal. Feels like they are just targeting jeeps and the old FJ40 with this law which sh!ts me

HTH