PDA

View Full Version : just found a dent in my exhaust

BillabongXJ
28-11-2012, 07:51 PM
just found a dent in my exhaust just half a foot from where it joins the header...dont know if that's been there since factory and meant to be there (for clearance reasons or something) or somehow sustained some damage (maybe engine mounts broke at some stage and it made contact with something but at this point its not really close enough to hit). is this something your jeep has too?

ace
28-11-2012, 08:05 PM
just found a dent in my exhaust just half a foot from where it joins the header...dont know if that's been there since factory and meant to be there (for clearance reasons or something) or somehow sustained some damage (maybe engine mounts broke at some stage and it made contact with something but at this point its not really close enough to hit). is this something your jeep has too?

Factory feature... search "dent" "exhaust" in XJ section or on the internets. Supposed to help drive shaft clearance.

Dustbowl
28-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Hahaha ah mate, my exhaust is covered in smacks, dents, scrapes and drags, it leaks in 3 places and sounds like a 747 down the freeway, i can near knock cyclists off their bikes at 2000 rpm and when I pull up next to Harley riders and they look over with the "I can't hear my bike no more" expression...
It's a jeep, you take it off road, these things happen :p

However i do believe Ace is on the money with this one.

BillabongXJ
28-11-2012, 09:03 PM
thanks for the speedy response, "factory feature" confirmed :)

haha sounds like a beast dustbowl :D

junglejuice
29-11-2012, 06:55 AM
I don't understand the thinking behind this "feature", I know it was for clearance but my extractors have two larger tubes running down through this area without any dents and they don't cause any dramas.
This factory "feature" has gotta be one of the worst things for performance that there is, makes extractors a much better option....

layback40
29-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Hahaha ah mate, my exhaust is covered in smacks, dents, scrapes and drags, it leaks in 3 places and sounds like a 747 down the freeway, i can near knock cyclists off their bikes at 2000 rpm and when I pull up next to Harley riders and they look over with the "I can't hear my bike no more" expression...
It's a jeep, you take it off road, these things happen :p

However i do believe Ace is on the money with this one.
hey Dustbowl,
Best you work out how to make it quiet for when you pull up next to the boys in blue. What you describe is a real cop magnet. Like as though you have a flashing sign on the roof "BOOK ME" :confused: :%:0=:rolleyes:

Mudmonster
29-11-2012, 04:46 PM
just like the diesel xj's, they put a big dint in the dump pipe just out of the back of the turbo. no reason for that one??

im going to make a new one very soon.

Joelzo
29-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Interesting. Jk's have one above the rear diff. It's factory but at first glance looks like its been in heavy contact with the diff tube.

Dustbowl
29-11-2012, 10:13 PM
hey Dustbowl,
Best you work out how to make it quiet for when you pull up next to the boys in blue. What you describe is a real cop magnet. Like as though you have a flashing sign on the roof "BOOK ME" :confused: :%:0=:rolleyes:

Hahaha you are dead right layback, it its a flashing sign putting out a radio broadcast on their channel :p
I have tried to seal her up but she is so warped it's a lost cause, I'll be going for a custom system, one to keep me out of trouble, and two, for a little more get up and boogie ;)