PDA

View Full Version : KK Cherokee rear camera

Plak40
30-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Folks,

Is the KK limited Jet meant to have a rear camera? If not then can someone give me an idea how much to install please?

Thanks

Mikzor
30-11-2012, 08:25 PM
No, I don't believe a rear camera has been a feature on any KK trim package. You should just have the rear parking sensors which beep at different intervals depending on how close you are to an object.

If you wanted to install a camera and seperate monitor there are a bunch of aftermarket options available that are relatively easy to install.

For example, here is a wireless model that splices into your reversing wires and 12v cigerette plug for $200.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM3797

fairmont1998
30-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Can't a camera also be fitted to the MyGig stereo using a Lockpick?

Mikzor
30-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Yep you're right, with a lockpick it let's you splice in any kind of external AV input into your MyGig screen so that's certainly an option. But last time I checked they were about $280 just for the lockpick... so guess it depends if you want to do it nicely for mucho $$$ or dodge it up for a bit cheaper :p

8Track
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Jeep offer a genuine reversing camera as an option!

chase
03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I had a camera fitted by per delivery at Jeep. I is an aftermarket one cost around $200 and is displayed on the my gig screen with distance lines.

Plak40
03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Ok...I now have my Jeep. How much to get it fitted again...$200? Was it done by Jeep and how long ago did you have it fitted?
Thanks

chase
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
It was $200- $250 and was fitted at the first service as the camera didn't come in time for delivery but the cost was worked into the deal at the time of sale.

KKnut
03-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Finally got around to installing a reverse camera into the KK. Used the Nav-TV harness and a generic CCD camera. The Jeep was going into the dealer for a service the day after I installed everything, so just gave them instructions to enable the function while they were already hooking up their Starscan tool. The hardest part is running the video cable to the dash, I found the easiest way is to feed over the roof lining, just need to keep well clear of the curtain airbags. Feels allot safer reversing especially combined with the factory sensors. Also fitted a USB/iPod harness into the glovebox but that's another story.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/apusy3a7.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/vagare5e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/8edu8uvy.jpg

single_single
04-05-2014, 03:22 AM
Very nicely done mate.

I bought a aftermarket rear view mirror which comes along with both front and rear cameras, and two way recording onto a memory card.

I screwed the rear camera onto the high breaking light and ran the wires underneath the doorsteps. :)

Connected a wire to the power cable of one reversing lamp and every time I shift the gear into reverse, the video feed gonna pop up on the rear view mirror.

Well as u know I bought the Nav radio set from that wrecker, I found it kinda overkill if I upgrade another rear viewing system on it. So I decided to stay with my current set-up. ;)

CibbyDoc
05-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Mine was fitted at time of purchase but it was def and aftermarket as they did a terrible job and it had to go back for refit and it's all fine now but no lock pick and it's a generic cam.

flashy
22-01-2015, 11:42 AM
The hardest part is running the video cable to the dash, I found the easiest way is to feed over the roof lining, just need to keep well clear of the curtain airbags.

Nice work KKnut,

I have just got my camera ready for an install and it is a bit daunting to run the wire. I was hoping your pics would show where the wire came out, because I have no clue :D

What did you use to push the wires? I was thinking of using one of those plumbing coils to get wiring through the ceiling.

Did you run the wire all the way to the from support (between the windscreen and the side window) and down from there? I am dead scared of interfering with airbags also, as I don't know how close they come to the ceiling! really need a remote camera on the end of the wire like the ones for exploratory surgery hehe.

KKnut
23-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Cheers Flashy, as the cable feeds out of the top of the back door through the rubber boot and I needed to take the shortest route to avoid running short, I found that the ceiling was the only option.

Wasn't all that hard to do but I had already removed the left side plastic trims all the way to the front passenger pillar when first investigating running along the sills, doing this allows you easy access into the ceiling void. I used a length of tongue & groove (standard tradie tool) to feed the cable through but it could be done without this.

Just keep the cable towards the centre of the ceiling to avoid it ever getting caught up with the curtain airbags. No need to be too concerned working around them unless you're being reckless and substantially interfering with them.

I did as you said and ran the cable down the passenger side windscreen pillar, then behind the glovebox and in behind the head unit. The camera is powered up from the left side reverse light, I tapped into it while I still had the trim off which helped allot.
If you need any more info just PM me. Hope it goes well for you and post an update.

flashy
23-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Awesome KKnut,

Thanks for that. That is really useful information. OK, I can do this! hahaha. I'll get the camera out too.

Thanks again.

KKnut
28-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Yeah I took pics of the reverse light hook up, just haven't come across them in my hard drive yet. Will post some if I find them.