PDA

View Full Version : XJ Handling

BillyOneMate
08-12-2012, 07:02 PM
The handling on my XJ is pretty shocking, seems i need to turn the steering wheel at least an inch before the wheels start to move, and even then it's vague at best, any ideas what i should be looking at to correct this?
Anyone else had a similar issue?
thnaks

layback40
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
There should be an adjustment bolt on the steering box. I think you loosen the lock nut & screw it in a bit to take the slack out.

anthonygubbin
08-12-2012, 07:41 PM
There should be an adjustment bolt on the steering box. I think you loosen the lock nut & screw it in a bit to take the slack out.

There is but I looked at doing it and you can cause problems if it is not done right, hence why I left it. Sounds like the box is pretty worn. From what people on here told me adjustment only solves it temporarly anyway. I could be wrong so don't take it as gospel. Othere people may have done the adjustment with some success. They also told me that the box really need to be removed when doing the procedure. I don't think the adjuster screw is that strong or something like that.

Regards A

shakes
08-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Have you had a wheel alignment done recently? That can also cause vague handling, and will rule out a few things for not much $$$ before you start chasing your tail with other things. (yes if it's not that you will need to get it done again but often on the jig you will spot other issues)

On that, Has anyone wound on more than stock castor in their XJ's? Mine is still a little lighter than I would like on the freeway I can't see any clearance issues, apart from heavier steering when slow is there any issue's to putting a fraction more in there?

anthonygubbin
08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Yerr my first port of call would be a front end inspection. If the XJ is up in miles and possibly not been greased up at the correct intervals all the ball joints could possibly be buggard, that includes tierod ends. What you may find if it gets checked out that there is a little bit of play in everything which mounts up to a lot. Although the steering box definitly sounds worn. If it is the steering box only then a reco one would be best. Mine has play and it has had a pretty easy life, compared to some.

Regards A

rainman
08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Look at the track bar.
On the diff make sure the bolt is tight no movement.
Make sure the tiered end is tight.
Make sure the bolts attaching the bracket that the tiered attaches to are tight/ holes are not flogged out.
Check sub frame for cracks.
Slop in the track bar will cause exactly what you describe. As will some of the other things mentioned above.
Get a friend to wiggle the steering wheel while you lay under the front end looking at the steering gear/ track bar. It will out itself.
Good luck with it.

junglejuice
08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Mine has always had the 1950's tv show steering, I recently swapped out the steering box due to mine leaking and the replacement was very responsive no vagueness what so ever, only thing is it pulls to the right...

I have had more caster on mine but you need to be careful of the pinion angle for the front tailshaft.....

BillyOneMate
10-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Is this video correct for an XJ steering box adjustment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAD0ugRQNek

layback40
10-12-2012, 07:42 AM
There is but I looked at doing it and you can cause problems if it is not done right, hence why I left it. Sounds like the box is pretty worn. From what people on here told me adjustment only solves it temporarly anyway. I could be wrong so don't take it as gospel. Othere people may have done the adjustment with some success. They also told me that the box really need to be removed when doing the procedure. I don't think the adjuster screw is that strong or something like that.

Regards A

Its a standard adjustment on recirculating ball steering boxes ( what the XJ has). If there is no other obvious issues, then one can try screwing it in about 1/2 a turn & see if there is an improvement. I have done that on many steering boxes. The only exception are old Mercedes Benz & they need to be screwed out.
If the bearing/bush on the shaft is buggered it wont help. I recall MM had this problem.

BillyOneMate
20-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Reviving an old thread here ... but handling has not been right for years and started to get even worse recently ... i took it to a shop a few years back to have my wheel alignment done, they assured me it was all fine "in the green zone". Didn't really question what "in the green" mean't to be honest, just took their word for it. Anyway, decided to measure the toe in myself last week and it was way out, toeing out instead of toeing in. Adjusted it to toe in by 1/8 myself and its a world better ... like a new Jeep :) Just wish i'd done it years ago!

LuluBelle
25-05-2017, 07:13 PM
YAY!!!!
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
simple fix