PDA

View Full Version : Removing ABS from Updated XJ

ryanmcsh
10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering how hard it would be to remove the abs system from an ABS post update XJ? And whether it would do anything funny like stop the car from running or will it just turn on the little ABS light on the dash?

I personally am not a big fan of ABS, specially in a 4wding situation, and would like the extra room it can offer in the engine bay.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ryan.

Balkanac
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
aqs easy as pulling the ABS fuse :)

ryanmcsh
10-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I was also thinking in regard to removing the ABS module to gain some extra room in the engine bay? Is it as easy as getting an earlier, non abs connecter and putting it in the samee spot or is it swap all the brakelines?

Billnick
10-12-2012, 01:24 PM
This has come up before and somebody noted that if you have comprehensive insurance they may take a dim view of you removing the ABS if you are involved in an accident. The solution was to remove the fuse when you go wheeling.

Jimmyb
10-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I was going to do this if I did a diff swap, but opted against it. The plan had been to remove the ABS from engine bay and re-do the brake lines, wasnt going to be a small job by any means.

Theres always the option to put a switch in between the fuse so if you offroad you can turn it off.

junglejuice
11-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I have looked long and hard at going the other way, ie fitting ABS to mine as I am a big fan of ABS on road, I had a wreck some time ago that was still completely drivable that had ABS so I did some experiments while I had it like what happens if you simply remove the fuse.
What I found was if you remove the fuse (pre-update) it brings the ABS light up on the dash, if you refit the fuse while the engine is running the light stays lit, as soon as you turn off the ign and restart the car it goes back to normal.
My thinking is if I ever get around to doing it is to fit a relay inline with the ABS unit so that as soon as it is in "part time" 4wd the ABS is disabled but still enabled in full time and 2wd.

As far as fitting it is concerned it is a matter of swapping the brakelines, sounds like a big job but it isn't really as they just clip in, the brake line to the rear has a joiner that allows the front section only to be swapped.
My plan is to use the ABS system from a 94 as it has the hydraulic unit below the master cyl out of the way unlike the 95-01 models.

So to remove it would be simply a reversal of above, get hold of all the brake lines and the proportioning valve (if different) and simply swap it all over removing the hydraulic unit.
As far as legalities go it would be hard to argue that it would be illegal considering that most of them didn't have it and they are legal.