PDA

View Full Version : is it legal to run no doors in qld?

silverTJ2005
11-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Im trying to find out if you can take your doors off in QLD without getting a fine.
Ive asked heaps of different cops and they all say 'i dunno' so i was just wondering if anyone has any information about this or have been fined for running no door?

MRGC
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
I was told if it was explained in the user manual on how to take it off, then it was ok.

That's all I know, source was from a Sargent in nsw.

Tallpieman
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Bottom line is.... You might get a ticket, and you wont beat it because jeep never endorsed the use of no doors on the road......

jeep112
11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
worth the risk, yeah buddy!!!
Next on my list is some mirror relo brackets wouldnt go doorless without em

silverTJ2005
11-12-2012, 06:28 PM
ohh yeah i didnt even think about the mirrors!

Sontssonts
11-12-2012, 07:12 PM
There are threads and threads on this. A few have fought fines and won. As far as I know, tjs are ok, especially older ones as the doors are purely for weather protection. JKs aren't, as the doors are more structured and contribute to the integrity of the vehicle. you do need to have mirrors still, so relocating or replacing is required.

Also bare in mind, just because it may be legal doesn't mean you won't get a fine. The cops give you one and then it's your problem to defend it in court.

It also won't stop them pulling you over. This is a big thing for those of us who try and stay 'under the radar' as this attention could lead to looking closer at other 'mods'. Im sure, if you tried to argue that driving without doors is perfectly safe and legal, a quick walk around the car could turn up quite a few things that certainly aren't.

It is fun though!

SeaComms
11-12-2012, 07:15 PM
No, not legal in QLD. Despite it being written that the doors are only for protection from the elements, QLD transport reckons they are required for side impact safety. I have gone through all the arguments with them but its like talking to a brick wall - a dumb brick wall at that!

Only way you can 'legally' do it in QLD is if Jeep Australia will give a statement in writing that it still passes all relevent ADR's without them.

Here is the results of the the stuff I put together with taking bits from other members on here:

ADR2 – Door latches and Hinges:
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L01362
Section 2. Definitions
2.3. "Doors" means hinged or sliding doors which lead directly into a compartment that contains one or more seating ¬positions and which are not folding doors, roll-up doors and doors that are designed to be easily attached to or removed from motor vehicles manufactured for operation without doors. This should be enough on its own!!

ADR29 – Side Door Strength
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2007C00735
SECTION 29.5. EXEMPTION FROM TEST REQUIREMENTS
Vehicles complying with the requirements of ADR 72/… are exempt from the requirements of this rule.

(Also the JK has no side intrusion bars - have pics of the inside of the doors if anyone wants it)

ADR 72 – Dynamic Side Impact Occupant Protection
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03992
Section 1. SCOPE

This Regulation applies to the lateral collision behaviour of the structure of the passenger compartment of Ml and Nl categories of vehicles where the R point of the lowest seat is not more than 700 mm from ground level when the vehicle is in the condition corresponding to the reference mass defined in paragraph 2.10. of this Regulation. - The JK is much more than 700mm so this does not apply.

Section 4. Principal dimensions
4.2.1 Testing Dummy dimensions

No. Parameter Dimension (mm)
1 Sitting height 904 ± 7
2 Seat to shoulder joint 557 ± 5
3 Seat to bottom lower rib 357 ± 5
4 Seat to arm 242 ± 5
5 Seat to H-point 98 ± 2

Regulatory definition: For the purpose of U.S. regulation and GTR's (Global Technical Regulations) — and for clear communication in safety and seating design[7] — the H-point is defined as the actual hip point of the seated crash test dummy itself,[7] whereas the R-point (or SgRP, seating reference point) is the theoretical hip point used by manufacturers when designing a vehicle — and more specifically describes the relative location of the seated dummy's hip point, when the seat is set in the rearmost and lowermost seating position.[7]

VooDoo2
11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
My CJ was sold without doors so id love to see them try and give me a ticket. Not sure canvas and 5mm rod is going to protect me from a side impact either.

SeaComms
11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Ah yes, age is a different matter, doors were optional on the CJ. Compare the saftey of a Moke to a JK without doors - I know which I would prefer to be in!

VooDoo2
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
A JK i can see being an issue but what about TJ's. With canvas doors sold from new they would also fall under the same reasoning as the CJ. Was the JK ever sold with soft doors?

jeep112
11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
but then why does a sticker on my jk say the doors and roof are only there to protect from the elements and that i should not rely on them for protection and to hold me in the vehicle???? :confused:
That is the sticker i'll be pulling of the hard top and placing and the sun visor, to show the local constabulry

Mudnguts
11-12-2012, 10:24 PM
What does this Jean for my 06 tj as it came with full doors. I'm in WA and I don't think I've ever seen a wrangler on the road with no doors

Sontssonts
12-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Jeep112 this is Jeep protecting themselves. they dont want someone claiming the roof/doors didnt provide as much protection as a normal car. Its the same as the 'may contain traces of nuts' warning on the majority of foods.

Mudnguts. It doesn't matter what doors (or roof) the jeep came with. everything is manufactured the same and then they stick whatever doors and roof on thats required.

As Seacomms says. Ages is important. vehicles must comply with laws of the year of manufacture. this is why you see some crazy FJs and some CJs getting about that are perfectly legal.

Tallpieman hit it. Jeep wont endorse it even though their vehicles are designed for it. If someone gets a letter saying otherwise you would be laughing. but i doubt there is any chance of that.

Army Barbie
12-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Do a search for the legalities of no doors being legal in qld and you will find so many threads.

I've driven with no doors on QLD roads plenty of times but always carry the doors in the back incase I do get pulled over. I don't do it much these days though and if I do, it'll only be on the way to a trip and leave them on until I'm off main highways and more rural. Yes TJs don't have side intrusion bars but I'd rather a car's first contact be my door than my leg..
You'll never get Jeep Australia come forward with a letter saying that's it's okay.

garth
12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
prob is illegal, they like to fine us for everything up here, fart in the wrong direction and they will dock you 330 and 3 points, crazy stuff,

but yes, it is illegal in qld to run no doors on your car, stupid qld and their stupid laws from the stupid idiots that make the stupid decisions. :(

TOYROX
13-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Having the doors installed offers a level of protection in the event of an incident. Even if the doors are not of todays structural level with side impact protection.
So to me removing the doors in any circumstance and increase the level of risk for whatever reason is plain crazy, wheather it is leagal or not.

We spend a long time dead, we can have the doors off all the time then and it wont matter.

VooDoo2
13-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Having the doors installed offers a level of protection in the event of an incident. Even if the doors are not of todays structural level with side impact protection.
So to me removing the doors in any circumstance and increase the level of risk for whatever reason is plain crazy, whether it is legal or not.

We spend a long time dead, we can have the doors off all the time then and it wont matter.

Having a bit of canvas and 5mm rod beside me is safer how exactly? At BEST it stops some wind. At worst it adds a nice component to penetrate the occupants. In a crash these doors aren't safer in any possible way. If you would like to supply some full steel doors with side impact protection ill fit around town :D

Till them, no door will be fitted to my jeep.

TOYROX
13-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I suppose for the purposes of my comment and this post I should have stipulated hard doors as installed by the manufacturer.
As the original poster for this question seems to own what apears to be in his avatar a Silver TJ fitted with factory hard doors.
I just didn't want to cover every possible aspect of vehicles made.

And you will need to purchase your own hard doors for your own safety if you wish.

Sontssonts
13-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I suppose for the purposes of my comment and this post I should have stipulated hard doors as installed by the manufacturer.
As the original poster for this question seems to own what apears to be in his avatar a Silver TJ fitted with factory hard doors.
I just didn't want to cover every possible aspect of vehicles made.

And you will need to purchase your own hard doors for your own safety if you wish.

This is true mate but the factory doors are only sheet filled with foam anyway. they provide MORE protection but not nearly as much as those on a normal vehicle.

Im sure OP knows this though, he just wants to know if he will get in the shit for having some fresh air blow up the leg of his pants....

TOYROX
13-12-2012, 04:41 PM
This is true mate but the factory doors are only sheet filled with foam anyway. they provide MORE protection but not nearly as much as those on a normal vehicle.

Im sure OP knows this though, he just wants to know if he will get in the shit for having some fresh air blow up the leg of his pants....

That is true. The point I am trying to make is that having the doors on reduces the exposure to the level of risk in an acident.
This is the most important thing the OP should think of before taking the doors off regardless of the legalities.
Got to remember that not only do doors keep stuff out they also keep peoplpe in when there is an accident.
In the 60's governments started to come down on manufacturers to make cars safer by way of regulations and construction codes. Ie colapsable steering columns, seat belts, doors that have locking mechanisms that stay shut in the event of an accident etc etc.
Mostly road laws are much the same in that that are there to protect people.
As for the OP original Q about remove doors, on a TJ it is not leagle in any state of Australia. On a CJ it is. Cant expect every cop to know every law.

TOYROX
13-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Voo Doo if you need some doors for a CJ here is a pic of what a good set should look like.

yetiboy01
13-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Voo Doo if you need some doors for a CJ here is a pic of what a good set should look like.

Luckily on the CJ you don't have to run doors as they were an option, I get plenty of looks & rego checks from the cops with the doors on so running without the doors makes no difference & the CJ was engineered without doors so all legal with photos on the engineering report showing the Jeep without doors, now doubt it wouldn't be to hard to get the JK engineered to run without doors, a TJ was engineered at the same time as my CJ & it didn't have doors on ether

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk

TOYROX
13-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Luckily on the CJ you don't have to run doors as they were an option, I get plenty of looks & rego checks from the cops with the doors on so running without the doors makes no difference & the CJ was engineered without doors so all legal with photos on the engineering report showing the Jeep without doors, now doubt it wouldn't be to hard to get the JK engineered to run without doors, a TJ was engineered at the same time as my CJ & it didn't have doors on ether

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats correct Campbell, if you modify and have your TJ engineered without the doors and it is specified as having this mod it can make it leagle.

duck
14-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Anyone run with the aftermarket tube style half doors (http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/img/group/main/48/4869_1_lg.jpg) etc and have any issues with the law? Interested as this is a path I was looking at possibly going down in the future...

justjeeps
15-12-2012, 09:03 AM
you guys in QLD have got it hard i drive around with no doors all the time in summer i have been pulled up at rbt stops and only thing i had the police say was well this makes life easy getting in and out of a tall 4x4 looks like fun.

Jeeps
15-12-2012, 10:40 PM
When i had my soft doors i used to run around occassionally with no doors and no side mirrors. i sometimes threw them in the back "in-case" but not always. Never got a ticket but didn't stop an officer pulling me over to give me a ticket for no rear mudflaps. It's all about wrong place wrong time.

"Sir, i don't give a toss if you ain't got no doors but dagnabit you dang better have mudflaps!"

cheers

Jeeps
15-12-2012, 10:40 PM
When i had my soft doors i used to run around occassionally with no doors and no side mirrors. i sometimes threw them in the back "in-case" but not always. Never got a ticket but didn't stop an officer pulling me over to give me a ticket for no rear mudflaps. It's all about wrong place wrong time.

"Sir, i don't give a toss if you ain't got no doors but dagnabit you dang better have mudflaps!" (i had the doors on at the time)

cheers