PDA

View Full Version : How much to service diffs?

eksjay
12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Wondering what the going rate is for the service of diffs? I imagine a stealer would be somewhere over the $400 mark, and that is assuming no parts are needed.

kyphonii
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Are the seals leaking.
If not there is little to do other than oil.

layback40
12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Are the seals leaking.
If not there is little to do other than oil.
Dont worry I am sure they will find plenty. Local one here would not let you out of workshop for under a grand !!!

eksjay
13-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Rear diff is leaking ... miraculously it started seeping slowly two yrs ago after a stealer "serviced" it. It was always fine before that. I was too far away to take it back because they can no longer get ANYTHING right.

I got a price from the stealer to service, and there is no way I am taking it there because I will probably be up for $2K :toilet:, for no apparent reason at all.

After the last episode, I am thru with the stealer. I now buy genuine parts and choose my mechanics carefully.

anthonygubbin
13-12-2012, 07:32 PM
It is about an hour to do the pinion seal. That is usually the most common leak. About 30-45mins to dump the oil and refill it, depending on if there is a gasket.

Regards A

Roler
14-12-2012, 10:38 AM
...I got a price from the stealer to service, and there is no way I am taking it there because I will probably be up for $2K :toilet:, for no apparent reason at all.

After the last episode, I am thru with the stealer.....

My experience is, do the service yourself and u will have an idea about the state of your diff. If anything needs replacement, u can always bring it in to a mechanic u trust. Remove diff cover, inspect the gear for wear and tear, shavings, uneven wearing, play in gears etc. Scrape off the old gasket/sealant/RTV from cover and diff mating surface, clean cover, apply new gasket or RTV, whatever your preference has, reinstall and fill up with the correct diff oil. Even a simple inspection/clean like this will costs you a fortune at the dealers.

EwenM
17-12-2012, 09:08 AM
when my rear diff started leaking at the pinion seal (d35) i was told not to bother as it would be bearings as well , so i up graded to a 8.25 with lower ratio gears ( did the front as well ) and bang for bucks was one of the better thing ive done.

with new front control arms new brakes all round, at 399,000 km it rides like a new one

BillabongXJ
19-12-2012, 04:16 PM
a mate of mine had bearings replaced in a VR commodore ute and was charged $800. i don't think they even had to take the diff out of the car. it was just pop the lid off swap the bearings and redial the pinion backlash pop it back together fill it up. encourages me to learn how to do diffs myself.

anthonygubbin
19-12-2012, 04:22 PM
a mate of mine had bearings replaced in a VR commodore ute and was charged $800. i don't think they even had to take the diff out of the car. it was just pop the lid off swap the bearings and redial the pinion backlash pop it back together fill it up. encourages me to learn how to do diffs myself.

In a D35 it needs to come out as you can collapse the crush sleeve with the diff in the car.

Regards A

aaronwmcdonald
19-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Just had my rear diff in the 98 sport rebuilt today as the carrier bearing was making a grinding noise. it's great now. cost $550 all up and was done in a day. very happy with it.