PDA

View Full Version : Radio Head unit upgrade

kyphonii
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm looking in to a new radio head unit for the XJ update.
I have an iPhone and want one that work well with the iPhone.
What do you guys have.

LukeXJ
13-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Hey Kyphonii I have been looking into upgrading the head unit in my 99 sport for awhile now, your setup looks very clean and well done just curious what the buttons below the head unit are for?

kyphonii
13-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Hey Kyphonii I have been looking into upgrading the head unit in my 99 sport for awhile now, your setup looks very clean and well done just curious what the buttons below the head unit are for?

Battery isolator, spot light, radio power with key out 2 spares.

mud_slut
13-12-2012, 05:39 AM
where did you find the facia kit for the buttons (isolator etc) im also looking at changing mine..dont mind the stock head unit but the volume button is starting to go

kyphonii
13-12-2012, 06:36 AM
where did you find the facia kit for the buttons (isolator etc) im also looking at changing mine..dont mind the stock head unit but the volume button is starting to go

Made my own.
ALUMINIUM and jaycar buttons

ace
13-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I have an Eclipse head unit. Has iPod dock connector cable but you could probs fab up a bracket, I just dump mine in the cup holder. This allows iPod control through the head unit.

It also has Bluetooth phone and audio. Comes with a wired mic you install and shove on the sun visor or near there.

Phone works well using selectable front speakers (l/r or both).

Bluetooth audio quality isn't as good as the connector but listenable. Also allows iPod control through Bluetooth too.

Happy with it. I have iPhone 4S and it works with wifes 4 too. They have newer models now I got a slightly older one for $200 from $349. Can get pic and model number if you like.

mud_slut
13-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Made my own.

nice :p it looks like wood grain in the pic. how were you able to get the head unit to sit center of the console. whenever ive done a single din install into a doubble din it never has sat centre, either above or below with a spacer.

With respect to head units are you looking for ipod control from the head unit (cable) or ipod control via bluetooth?

do you run an amp ?

are there any specific features your after ?

the two that would stand out for me would be

http://www.performancecaraudio.com.au/products/kenwood-kdc-bt7043u-cd-receiver.html

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=25

im an Alpine fan though :D

junglejuice
13-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Made my own.

Looks good, are they latching buttons?

kyphonii
13-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Latching ?
There are two types, push on and push again to off. and push and hold in for on. They had three colors, red green blue.
I made up the bracket shown and used it as a temp for a full rectangular version. The middle was cut out and threaded 3mm bolts about 30mm long at each corner, these are used to locate the front cover plate and to adjust it depth so that the cover plate fit neat up against the plastic interior trim thingy. then mark the cover plate and cut to suit. I removed the bolts and welded it up when the fit was finalised.

kyphonii
13-12-2012, 06:23 PM
nice :p it looks like wood grain in the pic. how were you able to get the head unit to sit center of the console. whenever ive done a single din install into a doubble din it never has sat centre, either above or below with a spacer.

With respect to head units are you looking for ipod control from the head unit (cable) or ipod control via bluetooth?

do you run an amp ?

are there any specific features your after ?

the two that would stand out for me would be

http://www.performancecaraudio.com.au/products/kenwood-kdc-bt7043u-cd-receiver.html

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=25

im an Alpine fan though :D

Just brushed alum and black paint but its a proto type so who knows.
My nephews a Alpine fan, I like his system so ill look into the Alpine. He has the usb out the back version, his ipod touch is permanently fix to the unit and lives in the console.
I'll run just a head unit and connect the iPhone. KISS method.

junglejuice
13-12-2012, 06:23 PM
The push for on and push again for off is a latching switch, the push and hold for on is a momentary switch....

mud_slut
13-12-2012, 07:38 PM
My nephews a Alpine fan, I like his system so ill look into the Alpine. He has the usb out the back version, his ipod touch is permanently fix to the unit and lives in the console.

Yeah i couldnt find any head units that have the USB rear output. My other car has that and its not bad just leave the ipod in the glove box and never have to worry about it. I think it wears the battery down though... i think youve done well there with the prototype its got my approval for sure 8-)

anthonygubbin
13-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Pioneer is my deck and speaker is my choice but Alpine is equally good. I have always opted for Pioneer as they are often on special at Autobarn. Mine has a USB port therefore it has never seen a CD. 16g micro USB and it sticks out 10mm. I have about 22 albums on it and it is not even 1/4 full. Although a 120g I pod would out-do it no doubt.

Regards A

mud_slut
13-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Pioneer is my deck and speaker is my choice but Alpine is equally good. I have always opted for Pioneer as they are often on special at Autobarn. Mine has a USB port therefore it has never seen a CD. 16g micro USB and it sticks out 10mm. I have about 22 albums on it and it is not even 1/4 full. Although a 120g I pod would out-do it no doubt.

Regards A

also a lot of the ipod compatible head units can also take a usb..sometimes they make you use a weird file structure like

USB [device]
\
PIONEER_AUDIO [folder]
\
SONGS [folder]
(place all songs in here)

if your happy to maybe add a few folders before putting in all your songs A is right you can have x10 more music