PDA

View Full Version : Tj hellllppppp!

nukem
16-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi all I have a 4L TJ and yesterday it started missing and blowing smoke (mainly at idle?) it had a couple of hiccups before but always cleared out ☹? I thought maybe plugs? Any thoughts? She has never given me issues before?
any help would be MUCH appreciated :)

wes
16-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Plenty of stuff it could be - I've just been having silmilar issues with my '97 - what year is yours?

EDIT - I ask because what fixed mine won't be applicable to later models with their new-fangled wizzardry

BennyWA
16-12-2012, 01:56 PM
You didn't top up the oil and overfill it did you? Has happened to me before in my old XJ (Jaguar not Jeep)

nukem
16-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi guys no oil is where it should be and it's a 98. Maybe AFM? Or plugs ?

wes
16-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Like I mentioned earlier, my 97 has been having silmilar problems. Running very rough, missing, blowing smoke, stalling (it's an auto) hard to start and eventually not starting at all.
Problem was, it was intermittent - the next day it would run like a dream.
But the problem became more frequent.

If yours sounds the same, i tried a few things..

Cleaned out the throttle body / IAC, changed spark plugs (and leads) but it's hard to know what's helping when the problem comes and goes.
Last week when it played up, had it towed to Jeepkraft in Wangara - they tested the dizzy cap and coil pack -replaced both - (oh and rotor button) and it's been great since.
It helps if you have the proper diagnostic tools and know what components should be reading.

Mopud
17-12-2012, 11:19 AM
nukem, any error codes?

nukem
17-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi WES yes sounds like the exact same problem as mine problem was intermittent and now constant (doesn't stall though as is manual).
fingers crossed will work. Hi MOPUD unfortunately I don't have the tools to check error codes where would be good to go?
Thank you all for all this help.

Mopud
17-12-2012, 03:20 PM
To get the codes from your 1997/98 TJ:
* Turn the ignition key ON THREE TIMES in succession:
ON : OFF : ON : OFF : ON
(within FIVE seconds)
Note: this doesn't mean start the car three times, it means turn the key to the furthest point of the ignition before it starts.

If it reports any codes they will be displayed in the digital odometer (where you milage is shown). The last code that will be displayed is number 55, this is not an error code it simply means there are no more codes. So if all you see is #55, it means there are no codes.

nukem
17-12-2012, 04:24 PM
MOPUD you are a legend! came up with error code 21. I really want to make sure there is no problems with the car before i sell her so this is a Massive help!!! thank you thank you thank you!

Mopud
17-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, didn't need to look that one up having seen it more than enough times in the past.

It's an issue with one of the Jeep's 'oxygen sensors'. I believe you'll have two of them in your exhaust system. They'll need replacing (probably haven't been replaced once over the entire life of the vehicle).

I would suggest as a test, to disconnect the oxygen sensor at the front of the vehicle (that one's called the upstream sensor or 'pre-cat'). If it's blowing smoke and running rough at idle that one's normally at fault. You can safely disconnect it and the computer will reset itself to a 'default' running state and you might find that the car will run OK.

It's not OK to sell the Jeep like this though, I'd suggest you replace them.

If you're not sure what they are or where they are, let me know and I'll do my best to advise you through it.

Jonny Jeep
18-12-2012, 05:49 AM
That's the first 98 TJ I've heard of where the key trick works. The feature was supposedly removed for the 98 model year and didn't return till the 2001 model year. Out of interest, nukem, what are the two letters before the last six digits of your VIN - VP or WP? If VP it's a 97 model and may have been registered late.

wes
18-12-2012, 08:08 AM
You can also check the 'date of mfr (built)' in the passenger door jamb.
On mine it's March 97 but wasn't first registered in Aus till November 97 (8 month gap).
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52140&d=1326283138

The date it was first registered is found on the compliance plate - mounted on the firewall near the brake booster
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52141&d=1326283138

It's quite feasible that any 97s built after April 97 and sent to Aus weren't registered till 98.

bonza
18-12-2012, 08:28 AM
they can sit around in sales yards for a long time having been caught out like this years ago with a motorbike. bought a Yamaha in June 2004 and later noticed that the build date was October 2003. learnt my lesson so with my Jeep and latest motorbike I looked at a few in the yards and settled on 2 months between build date and compliance plate

Mopud
18-12-2012, 11:42 AM
You can also check the 'date of mfr (built)' in the passenger door jamb.
On mine it's March 97 but wasn't first registered in Aus till November 97 (8 month gap).

The date it was first registered is found on the compliance plate - mounted on the firewall near the brake booster

It's quite feasible that any 97s built after April 97 and sent to Aus weren't registered till 98.

Yeah i get ya there, mine was built in sep/oct 2000 but was registered a 2001. Not that there's any real difference between the two year models.

nukem
18-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi guys, I just dropped the car off to JeepKraft to get her fixed :), yeah i am not sure about the year now? :/ I will have a look and keep you updated.
You have all been so friendly and helpful I really appreciate it. Here is a pic of the old girl ;)

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mh6kgx.jpg

wes
18-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey, nice Jeep!
It's a 97 :D - you can tell by the extra cowl panel vents.

Mopud
18-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi guys, I just dropped the car off to JeepKraft to get her fixed :), yeah i am not sure about the year now? :/ I will have a look and keep you updated.
You have all been so friendly and helpful I really appreciate it. Here is a pic of the old girl ;)

What a stunner, very tidy.

nukem
18-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys! ok so at least i know what year it is now :) Cheers WES