PDA

View Full Version : Immobilisied - Key fobs not working

SteveT
17-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Have an 97 XJ Sport (update) & I am currently stuck in the front yard... Both remotes suddenly failed to work??. Both had new batteries with no previous hassles so security kicks in..
A local mechanic got nowhere with the time he had....
No error codes show up when scanned.... The local "sparkie" said he could not?? help with the factory system so good luck, yeah...........
Any direction would be appreciated...........

cheezel
17-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Which year model? To my knowledge the ore updates don't have an immobiliser and the post updates have an immobiliser chip in the key.
The remote is just used for central locking(?) unless you have an aftermarket unit.
Does the immobiliser (orange key) symbol disappear when turning on the ignition?

What are your car's symptoms?
- if it starts then dies could just be a fuel or elec issue..

Cheers

SteveT
17-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry, adjusted above........
No, just a plain key with seperate remote original key fob's..
All lights out except for "security"...
The jeep starts and runs from 5/10 sec's, before dying again......

anthonygubbin
17-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Problem is the imobiliser has been triggered. It will run for say 5-10 seconds and then shut off that is the security system. The immobilser has a fault. You could try resetting the computer and see if that helps.

Regards A

Cypher
17-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Post updates have a chip in the key and a reader module behind the plastic surrounding the ignition barrel. The remote keyfobs are for lock/unlock/panic only, unless it is an aftermarket system. The stock key should have a moulded rubber cap on the end which is where the security chip is located.

carvesdodo
18-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Sorry, adjusted above........
No, just a plain key with seperate remote original key fob's..
All lights out except for "security"...
The jeep starts and runs from 5/10 sec's, before dying again......

This happened before ... or after the battery change ??

Some have had issues coz batteries were fitted wrong or only used one battery per remote.

If its not battery related ... its probably "locked up" due to some other interfering signal.

For starters ... disconnect the battery for a while/reset the computer. Reconnecting the battery puts the system in the immobilised condition ... but hopefully the disconnection has cleared any scrambled messages in the system.

Once its all back together ... push the lock button once ... then push the unlock button ... and if you're lucky you're back in business.

Dont keep constantly pushing the buttons either.

The dodgy immobiliser system in the first batch of the export model updates ... is the price you pay for having a chryco 8.25 rear diff ... and replacement ignition keys that only cost $5 .. :D

ryanmcsh
18-12-2012, 06:51 AM
I am having some similar issues with mine... The unlock button just wont work sometimes... I reset the key to the code and it helped (refer user manual), but it is still on the brink i think.

I am going to talk to a local Locksmith that dad (my dad is a local mechanic with his own shop) deals with a lot, specially with a lot of the newer cars, and see if he has a key fob that has better signal etc... see what he thinks about it all...

I cant guarentee anything before christmas, but i will let you know what i find out if it is helpful.

Keen Angler
18-12-2012, 09:37 AM
i have a pre update limited 96 cherokee and one of my fobs doesnt work the other one does! my imobiliser sensor is a little round black ball in the overhead console. this is connected to the keyless entry however it will not let the car start at all it just flashes all the lights continuosly until i click the fob again! I either want to disconnect the imobiliser or get a fob that works as the programing in the manual doesnt work for the key fob that isnt working(if that makes sense?) because i dont want to be stuck needing a spare key with a fob that doesnt work if i lose my set that does work! if i bought a fob and programmed it would this work? by the way my fob just has one button push it and it unlocks push again it locks. Or push it once and it unlocks and then if i dont start the car within 40 seconds the immobiliser turns on and i have to push it again to turn it off if i want to start it!

ryanmcsh
18-12-2012, 10:39 AM
One thing i want to do is wire in a push button that completes the circuit for the immobiliser so you can never not start your car if you lose the keys...

I am just in the process of printing out all the wiring diagrams at work (we are super busy atm... not) and when i get a chance i will look into it...

If i can get it to work then i will post something up for it...

SteveT
18-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Thank's for the input guy's....... Still immobilised, D'owh...
All fuse/relays checked & O.K..... Battery disconnected, reset etc but nil change.......... Mechanic wants to start at the remote key receiver (RKR)...... before looking elsewhere, but is unable to test my RKR.... Anyone got an unwanted one about at home??
?? Will it need to be partner to one another to be able to function/read each other?? Another thing to find out about..........

alex673
18-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Hey Steve.
Sorry to hijack this thread!!! My problem and yours are similar, so I thought I'd see if there were any bites on this one...
I ended up having to remove the immobiliser on my 95 Classic Limited due to a fault in the immobiliser that wouldn't let the car start. Anyhoo, now the key fobs don't work on the central locking. Should they still work, or do they require the immobiliser to still be installed??? I believe it is the standard OEM Jeep immobiliser...

kj69
19-12-2012, 03:54 PM
guys , you need to be clear which year xj you are talking about here , there are several people asking questions in the op`s thread and its just becoming confusing trying to figure out who is talking about what year model xj.

SteveT
19-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Post updates have a chip in the key and a reader module behind the plastic surrounding the ignition barrel. The remote keyfobs are for lock/unlock/panic only, unless it is an aftermarket system. The stock key should have a moulded rubber cap on the end which is where the security chip is located.
No, just have a non-chipped key....... had that double checked as well... Have what carvesdodo described in his post.... damn, even Wooder's has never had anyone enquire about one before (the RKR) and he just put one in the trash last month or so........ When it's raining they say.:hammer:.......:)......
P.S. No panic button on the remote fob, just lock & unlock............

anthonygubbin
19-12-2012, 03:59 PM
No, just have a non-chipped key....... had that double checked as well... Have what carvesdodo described in his post.... damn, even Wooder's has never had anyone enquire about one before (the RKR) and he just put one in the thrash last month or so........ When it's raining they say.:hammer:.......:)......

Did you check both your keys at the locksmith Steve using their chip reader?

Regards A

SteveT
19-12-2012, 04:12 PM
:)This happened before ... or after the battery change ??

Some have had issues coz batteries were fitted wrong or only used one battery per remote.

If its not battery related ... its probably "locked up" due to some other interfering signal.

For starters ... disconnect the battery for a while/reset the computer. Reconnecting the battery puts the system in the immobilised condition ... but hopefully the disconnection has cleared any scrambled messages in the system.

Once its all back together ... push the lock button once ... then push the unlock button ... and if you're lucky you're back in business.

Dont keep constantly pushing the buttons either.

The dodgy immobiliser system in the first batch of the export model updates ... is the price you pay for having a chryco 8.25 rear diff ... and replacement ignition keys that only cost $5 .. :D
I think you last line sum's up my situation neatly. Hope that $$ for the key flow's on to other possible parts needed..:rolleyes:.;).:)....

SteveT
19-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Did you check both your keys at the locksmith Steve using their chip reader?

Regards A
Battery World initially & they gave me some new batteries as well.......
Sparkie also stated they were only key's, no chips in them & a mechanical engineer as well has just finished looking at it (late last evening) and thinks it is the RKR as well, but need to get another to see if it solves the problem before heading elsewhere.........

anthonygubbin
19-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Battery World initially & they gave me some new batteries as well.......
Sparkie also stated they were only key's, no chips in them & a mechanical engineer as well has just finished looking at it (late last evening) and thinks it is the RKR as well, but need to get another to see if it solves the problem before heading elsewhere.........

How did the sparky or battey world determine you don't have chips in the keys. You can't see the chip or anything that says it has a chip by the looking at it. You need to insert it into a chip reader. Unfortunatly I doubt whether a sparky or battery World would have such a device. ;)

Regards A

SteveT
19-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Anyone live around Blacktown (N.S.W) with a 97 XJ sport update willing to drop by and put their RKR into mine...... Held in by x2 screws and a wire plug, about a 30 sec. removal job........ Or have a spare one??

SteveT
19-12-2012, 04:37 PM
How did the sparky or battey world determine you don't have chips in the keys. You can't see the chip or anything that says it has a chip by the looking at it. You need to insert it into a chip reader. Unfortunatly I doubt whether a sparky or battery World would have such a device. ;)

Regards A
The sparkie fit's alarms etc. He could do anything with any after-market system currently out, but can not do anything to a factory fitted system, even my 15yr old Jeep system.:confused:.:).

kj69
19-12-2012, 04:37 PM
you have an ad in the wanted section what are you chasing ? sounds like its from a pre update?

carvesdodo
19-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Regards A

Not all XJs were created equal ... ;);)

See if this helps .... http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1042346&postcount=20

SteveT
19-12-2012, 04:48 PM
you have an ad in the wanted section what are you chasing ? sounds like its from a pre update?
Definitately an 97 update (Nov. build).....
The plastic box ( about 10 x 20cms) that is attached above the center of the windscreen on the roof lining. x2 screws holding it in place.....Limited model's have them in their roof console's out off sight.........

ozjeepster
19-12-2012, 04:54 PM
You will need a DRBIII scan tool if yours is an update going off what you have said the SKIM --- Sentry Key Immobiliser Module has either failed , or has been wiped by someone that doesn't know a great deal about jeep systems , I'd say you will need to have your keys reprogrammed to the Skim , if that don't work the skim is shagged & will need replacing .

SteveT
19-12-2012, 04:54 PM

See if this helps .... http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1042346&postcount=20
Thank you..:).....:cool:....:).....

SteveT
19-12-2012, 05:03 PM
You will need a DRBIII scan tool if yours is an update going off what you have said the SKIM --- Sentry Key Immobiliser Module has either failed , or has been wiped by someone that doesn't know a great deal about jeep systems , I'd say you will need to have your keys reprogrammed to the Skim , if that don't work the skim is shagged & will need replacing .
Yep, used that x2 but no error codes come up at all %$#@!. That one of reasons I am just starting at the RKR but the door prize is if you can guess what the Jeep price for a "new" 15yr old part (RKR) is from them $#@% ME........ Well at least the parts guy apoligised to me before giving the price for it..:rolleyes:.....:lol:.....:).....

anthonygubbin
19-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Thanks for clearing that one up Carves. I assumed he had the grey keys.

Regards A

ozjeepster
19-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Yep, used that x2 but no error codes come up at all %$#@!. That one of reasons I am just starting at the RKR but the door prize is if you can guess what the Jeep price for a "new" 15yr old part (RKR) is from them $#@% ME........ Well at least the parts guy apoligised to me before giving the price for it..:rolleyes:.....:lol:.....:).....

I know mate i see it all the time at work when they try to hit customers up for shocking prices , gives me the shits big time but im just the Jeep Tech that fixes em , i actually see the owner if i can & give them the part numbers & tell them to get em off Jeepparts or Wooders ;) much cheaper

SteveT
19-12-2012, 05:45 PM
I know mate i see it all the time at work when they try to hit customers up for shocking prices , gives me the shits big time but im just the Jeep Tech that fixes em , i actually see the owner if i can & give them the part numbers & tell them to get em off Jeepparts or Wooders ;) much cheaper
Wooders threw one out about a month ago, it was sitting there for some time. No one had ever asked him about it before.........
On a different tact, got a computor gremmlin presently so keep getting frozen out..... Damn, when it rains............

Jonny Jeep
20-12-2012, 05:06 AM
I don't know of differences between UK and Oz models but if it's the same as the immobilisers fitted to the first model year of (UK) XJs and TJs it could be a May & Schofield immobiliser. These were not factory fitted in the US but fitted upon import to the UK by Jeep UK. It's certainly possible the same units were shipped to Oz and fitted there.

Here's one thread about them from birty dastards Uk forum
http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=14321.0

The immobilisers are twinned to the PCM like the SKIM so unless the PCM sees the correct VIN and secret codes from the immobiliser the engine will not run for more than a few seconds. You can't just cut the immobiliser circuit out due to the way it operates.

To talk to the immobiliser a DRBIII scanner is needed and probably a M&S security card is needed to program remotes to the immobiliser. A non immobilised PCM from the US is one option if all else fails.

kj69
20-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Definitately an 97 update (Nov. build).....
The plastic box ( about 10 x 20cms) that is attached above the center of the windscreen on the roof lining. x2 screws holding it in place.....Limited model's have them in their roof console's out off sight.........

that explains it ive only ever seen the dome shape unit and roof consoles on xj`s mine is a sport and came with a roof console , i do have a roof console from a sport thats pulled apart if you need that bit ?

SteveT
20-12-2012, 04:55 PM
that explains it ive only ever seen the dome shape unit and roof consoles on xj`s mine is a sport and came with a roof console , i do have a roof console from a sport thats pulled apart if you need that bit ?
Some pic's in my wanted add... Wonn't let me upload the pic's a second time??.........

SteveT
26-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Damn, I did not believe it when I got home from work today..:confused:.... The XJ is all goooooo........ After cleaning, replacing etc ++ times, my son replaced the two batteries in the fob's with a very slightly wider single 3 volt battery and off it goes??..... One of those "Jeep" thing's...$#%$#@...:hammer:....:o.....:).....

kj69
26-12-2012, 08:01 PM
the fob on my 99 (only unlocks the doors) was not working and the batteries were pretty new so i thought it was stuffed , i cant remember what was that made me think to try it but i just opened up the contacts a little wider to make sure they were actually touching the batteries and works like a new one again:)

SteveT
26-12-2012, 08:54 PM
the fob on my 99 (only unlocks the doors) was not working and the batteries were pretty new so i thought it was stuffed , i cant remember what was that made me think to try it but i just opened up the contacts a little wider to make sure they were actually touching the batteries and works like a new one again:)
That was checked/re-checked + +....... In good order??...... Son was the first to try a wider battery, go figure?? As long as it keep's running & the Jeep fairies keep smiling...:)........

SteveT
30-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Damn it, back to square one..:mad:. The Jeep died again this evening in the driveway.... Same symptoms again, fun & games of owning a Jeep raa raa...:rolleyes:.......