PDA

View Full Version : transmission cooler lines

jeepOz
18-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi,
I've got a problem with my transmission cooler lines, they are busted due to a bad ass hole I took with quiet a bit of speed. Does anyone know where I could get new ones or am I better of taking the existing one's out and get them fixed up? I'm a bit worried about the the plastic fitting on those lines, so I would rather take new if possible...

thanks guys

Dustbowl
18-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Those lines are stupid!! I replaced mine twice and patched them a million times!
You are best to replace them with hydraulic hose (oil cooler hose) I did, and you can't beat it!
Just grab a couple of metres of Hydraulic cooler hose (available at auto pro) using a hacksaw or similar cold implement cut the middle from the lines, leaving say 150 mm protruding on the gearbox end, and leave a similar amount on the other end, replace the middle section with the hydraulic hose, leaving some slack to allow for movement, I sealed mine with some sikaflex and 2 hose clamps per end, cable tied it out of the way. it's 10x more durable than the original line and won't let you down.

briteway
18-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Yep, I agree with Dustbowl. I did mine that way too but one of the clamps gave way after a while and with one clamp on, the other slid off together with the hose off the metal pipe. I only noticed it when burning fluid off the exhaust pipe started sending smoke. I ended up losing one whole gallon of fluid and luckily I had some spare. Topped it back up, put a new clamp and all good after that.

Just check on the clamps periodically. I found that they started eating into the hose. I'll have to look for some better type clamps, maybe check the US market. I don't want to crimp the hose on as its easier to fully flush the tranny.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Dustbowl
19-12-2012, 04:50 AM
Cheers Brite :D

Some good warning there, ill go check mine are nice and tight now :p

carvesdodo
19-12-2012, 05:48 AM
FWIW ...

Replace the factory setup with a decent cooler,

... and use rubber tranny line from bursons/repco/wherever, as suggested above.

You shouldn't have issues with the hose coming off the shortened factory lines ... or leaking ... unless you cut the hose lengths too short and theres not enough flex to allow for drivetrain movement.

darksidecustoms
19-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Another on the to do list.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the best tool for flaring the ends of the pipes?

Windex
19-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the best tool for flaring the ends of the pipes?

From my interpretation of the above, they didnt flare the ends, just put a clamp on the sucker.

anthonygubbin
19-12-2012, 09:49 AM

You need one that does a ball flare. Probably not worth buying the tool Darkside as it is expensive. What I do is get a mech just to do my flares. It ends up being about 5-10mins work for them.

Regards A

Dustbowl
19-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Like AG said, a ball flarer, however windex is right, these lines don't hold huge pressure, the right size hose (3/8 i think) and Two clamps has held mine easy for ages now :)

jeepOz
19-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all your answers,
I'll do that as well but I will drop mine of at pirtek to get proper flaring nuts and fittings crimped on,that way it's still easy removable for flushing and whatever but more substantial than hose clamps...they fixed up my pressure hose from the power steering and I'm very happy with it.

@carvesdodo: can u recommend a good cooler? I though about it last night as well but I haven't done any research yet....

thanks again for your help

Raisins78
22-12-2012, 05:17 PM
plumbers or fridgey's flaring kits come with expanders.
Like this one ...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PC-Double-Flaring-Tool-Kit-SAE-Brake-lines-Plumbing-Air-conditioning-/190725576219?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item2c6821561b

If you expand the end of the pipe up a size, then the pipe clamps will never fall off.
Thats what I( have done with my fuel lines (All of them)
I replaced all the plastic hoses with proper high pressure fuel hose. expanded the steel pipe ends by about 1-2mm (now about 7mm instead of 5-6mm internal)
Hose over the top, pipe clamp on, and it cant slip off now.

Raisins78
22-12-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Copper-Tube-Flaring-and-Swaging-Tool-Kit-Plumber-Refrigeration-Flaring-Kit-/230848566635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35bfa5956b

Even cheaper, but with better expanding bits.

Mitch
22-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Re-route the lines up as high as possible to avoid the same issue/damage in future.Also be sure the hose is not to close to your thermo fan.Allways carry xtra trans fluid.

carvesdodo
23-12-2012, 10:32 AM
@carvesdodo: can u recommend a good cooler? I though about it last night as well but I haven't done any research yet....

After running a few setups ... and monitoring running temps ... I settled on a stacked plate unit approx 250mmx250mm x19mm ... with the radiator heat exchanger bypassed.

Theres plenty of options out there --> http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91553

junglejuice
23-12-2012, 12:43 PM
There is only ONE reason for damaging the factory lines and that is ineffective bumpstops, this also can easily result in a damaged sump, damaged shocks and reduced spring life as well so ignoring the bumpstops is like complaing about the front bumper bar not being strong enough when you continually run into trees...

kyphonii
23-12-2012, 04:06 PM
You just need transmission oil line, there is bugger all pressure so no need for expensive fittings, good brand name high temp oil line. be careful were the line is routed as there is more movement of bits in the front of a XJ than a swiss watch.
Under extreme flex and compression the clearances will be a lot less than you think.

Raisins78
23-12-2012, 04:30 PM
There is only ONE reason for damaging the factory lines and that is ineffective bumpstops, this also can easily result in a damaged sump, damaged shocks and reduced spring life as well so ignoring the bumpstops is like complaing about the front bumper bar not being strong enough when you continually run into trees...
Spot on as usual JJ....
A damaged component can be upgraded, but if the root cause isn't fixed, then it is effectively a band aid solution

Windex
10-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Thread revival, my stock clamp on the cooler decided to totally fail on me today at 100kmh, only noticed the smoke once I slowed down. Tried to get it to seal so I could get home but no luck. So tomorrow to find a local mechanic or such to patch it up, I might try this method to get me back up and running.

Shiggins
19-09-2014, 01:00 AM
I have a leak. I also have a trans cooler that's seen sitting in the shed. I'm gona have to do this as well http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/18/mujy7a5a.jpg

Windex
19-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Exactly what I had, the clip on my return line finally failed and was leaking around 200ml a minute.

Shiggins
19-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Bloody hell. Mine is defiantly getting worse though. Better get into it. So I just hack saw that fitting right off and put my after market cooler on and use clamps on that hose.

Roler
19-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Well, we could all team up here.
Have been walking around this problem for a long time, parts all ready to go. Even got a tubecutter for the job....but now considering using a boltcutter and be done in 3 seconds with the lines...only thing lacking is motivation. Guess a blown line going 100km/hr is a good one.

And flaring those lines is all nice and good, but they're low pressure and a good hoseclamp will suffice imo. Just recheck the tightness on them every now and then.

Shiggins
19-09-2014, 05:05 PM
I'll check what i need on Sunday!

junglejuice
19-09-2014, 07:09 PM
....but now considering using a boltcutter and be done in 3 seconds with the lines...

I've done this myself on the side of the road, worked but you need to make the pipes round again as the bolt cutters will flatten the end of the pipe, a pair of multigrips did the trick...

xj99
19-09-2014, 07:53 PM
if i disconnect the front outlet of the transmission to do a flush then start the engine could i replace the fluid through the dipstick tube as quick as it pumped out of the gearbox, providing of course i have a large funnel and enough fluid on hand?
the reason i ask is that a few us forums on transmissions stated that you could effectively flush this way?

Roler
19-09-2014, 08:00 PM
You refer to the forward flush, I take it...I'll look up for you how I did it...

EDIT: I found the notes, but it's a bit long. What I might do is PM it, or make a separate thread for it, so not to contaminate this one.

Roler
19-09-2014, 08:09 PM
I've done this myself on the side of the road, worked but you need to make the pipes round again as the bolt cutters will flatten the end of the pipe, a pair of multigrips did the trick...

I thought about that being a downside to that technique....to have to pry the edges of the tubes outwards again in such a way that the tight-fitting trans hose will be able to be pushed over...

xj99
19-09-2014, 08:11 PM
You refer to the forward flush, I take it...I'll look up for you how I did it...

EDIT: I found the notes, but it's a bit long. What I might do is PM it, or make a separate thread for it, so not to contaminate this one.

Ok thanks pm is fine , my main concern is how quickly the fluid will come out the front line with the engine running, i am doing the pan gasket, filter, clean magnet first then new hydraulic hoses front to rear, then fill the pan and flush the lot. does the rear tranny line feed straight into the pan ?

Roler
19-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Dont worry about it, it comes out at a stream you can keep up with. Just make sure you have a nice sized funnel, keep it filled while doing the procedure and you will be fine.

Roler
19-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Here is the pic to go with the instructions I sent. The instructions I wrote where for cherokeeforum.com, so the pic is for the LHD.
Your set-up will likely be different, also if you have an aux trans oil cooler, so keep that in mind. The main exit and return line to the trans however are the same, so you can use those to decide where to drain.

The prep is longer than the actual flush, just make sure you have enough ATF, I ended up using about 15 ltr in total, but my oil was black, even after two simple drain/refill actions in the 500 km before.

xj99
19-09-2014, 08:55 PM
thank you very much let you know how i get on

CCKen
20-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Here is the pic to go with the instructions I sent. The instructions I wrote where for cherokeeforum.com, so the pic is for the LHD.
Your set-up will likely be different, also if you have an aux trans oil cooler, so keep that in mind. The main exit and return line to the trans however are the same, so you can use those to decide where to drain.

The prep is longer than the actual flush, just make sure you have enough ATF, I ended up using about 15 ltr in total, but my oil was black, even after two simple drain/refill actions in the 500 km before.

Roler,

You know that's my pic. Doesn't a Yank get credit [for] his pics? LOL

junglejuice
20-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Roler,

You know that's my pic. Doesn't a Yank get credit his pics? LOL

Sprung!!!!! ;)

xj99
20-09-2014, 12:13 PM
started this morning with the bits needed for the flush, doesn't look too bad inside the transmission , won't be finished until much later today i have decided to completely strip and clean the pan and paint it then bake it in my garage oven before reassemblyhttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541ce293bb4dd.jpghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541ce2ab1c953.jpg

xj99
20-09-2014, 12:13 PM
now i know why it was leaking so badly , it didn't even have a gasket , just black silicone that ended up mostly being squashed just inside the pan and dried. took ages to remove all the gunk. Nothing nasty on the magnets though.

later i will do the forward flush

Windex
20-09-2014, 03:35 PM
now i know why it was leaking so badly , it didn't even have a gasket , just black silicone that ended up mostly being squashed just inside the pan and dried. took ages to remove all the gunk. Nothing nasty on the magnets though.

later i will do the forward flush

I am beginning to wonder if that was Jeep dealer thing, I had the same on mine, replaced with cork and has been good since, might be time to do a good clean of it too.

xj99
20-09-2014, 04:13 PM
I am beginning to wonder if that was Jeep dealer thing, I had the same on mine, replaced with cork and has been good since, might be time to do a good clean of it too.

Mine only had 110,000km when i bought it last year, but i suspect a dealership upsold a customer at around 80,000km for a tranny filter but did a dodgy silicone gasket to seal it all up.

xj99
20-09-2014, 06:53 PM
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d4004721a4.jpghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d4015e2448.jpghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d40246ab60.jpghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d4032728c5.jpg

job completed, took 13 litres to completely flush the transmission until i was satisfied it was clean. Happy with the result of the pan even though you won't see it but i had some 2k for my jeep that would have gone off if i didn't use it.

Roler
21-09-2014, 12:33 AM
Roler,

You know that's my pic. Doesn't a Yank get credit [for] his pics? LOL

CCKen!
By Jove man, what made you decide to look at this side of the water!
Your first post ever on AJOR and it starts we my name, lol.

Don't worry mate, in the written text that goes with that pic, like you could have seen on CF, you are mentioned as " pic courtesy of CCKen".
You know me a little by now, I would never take credit for those things. How could I. Over time with some of the pics I post, I have forgotten who I got them from. But let's face it, we share the good things we learn or get via the forum with others.

But hey, if you insist and since I remember you providing this pic: pic is courtesy of CCKen people, let it be said.

Maybe you could dig me up a nice pic of a RHD set-up, I lost it somewhere in my database ;)

xj99
30-09-2014, 05:19 PM
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d4004721a4.jpghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d4015e2448.jpghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d40246ab60.jpghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/imagehosting/29101541d4032728c5.jpg

job completed, took 13 litres to completely flush the transmission until i was satisfied it was clean. Happy with the result of the pan even though you won't see it but i had some 2k for my jeep that would have gone off if i didn't use it.
by the way the rear cooler line feeds straight into the pan sump