PDA

View Full Version : 00' XJ Cherokee starting problem

TyronR
22-12-2012, 10:49 AM
My 2000 model jeep cherokee has a problem starting and running

It first happened 4 days ago, when I was leaving work. It started, then died a few seconds later. I had to crank it for a good 10 seconds or so to get it to start. After that, it went fine. So I didn't think much of it at the time

2 days later, I was leaving work in the afternoon. It started fine and I drove up the street. Just as I was accelerating to get into the traffic, it laboured and stalled. I had to push it back onto the side of the road and crank it for about 30 seconds for it to start. It then drove fine all the way home.

Later that night, I needed to go for a drive so I went to start it - it wouldn't start. I had to crank it for a good minute or 2 while pumping the accelerator before it started. It drove fine after that.

The next morning, it started fine and all went well until that afternoon when I needed to go somewhere. It started fine, but when I went up the street and was turning the corner while lightly stepping on the brakes, it maintained the revs until it laboured and stalled. I cranked it and pumped the throttle and it came to life after 10 seconds or so, but then stalled again after I turned the next corner. It started again while cranking and pumping the throttle for 10 seconds again, but stopped almost immediately again. After that, it started after 10 secs of cranking and pumping and drove fine until I stopped the car and started it 10 minutes later where it needed a little bit of a pump to get it to start.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do to fix this at all? Thanks in advance

anthonygubbin
22-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a fuel pump prob. It is a fairly common issue.

Regards A

rainman
22-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Could be fuel pressure.
Next time rather than crank the engine, turn key to run listen for the fuel pump, it will stop running after about 3 sec, key off, key back to run, repeat now start. By running the fuel pump a couple of times before starting you are getting the fuel pressure right up there. If it starts straight away - and continues to do so after the prepriming- then that suggests the fuel pump/ pressure/ supply is the issue. - or put a gauge on the fuel rail and see what the pressure is. Should be 49 psi.
Other than that.
Crank position sensor,
Coil / coil packs?
Cam position sensor,
In that order.
Good luck with it.

anthonygubbin
22-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Ahh coil pack model. I have heard of them giving grief. Trouble is I believe you have to change the whole lot. Lets hope that is not the issue.

Regards A

TyronR
23-12-2012, 11:09 AM
thanks for the info, i pulled down the tank and blew out the filters with air and now it hasnt played up since.

there was a fair bit of gunk in the pump assembly when it was turned upside down so maybe the intake was blocked up

if it does it again i might just buy a whole new assembly. priced it at $550 (hopefully its the right one)

TyronR
23-12-2012, 04:18 PM
sorry for double post, but it did it again before i went to work this afternoon

it seems to be getting harder and harder to start as it occurs

Raisins78
23-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Does it happen when the tank is below half full? I posted a while ago on swirl pots and what happens when the check valve dies... Ill find it in a second

Raisins78
23-12-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116432

TyronR
23-12-2012, 06:26 PM
nope i remember it was fine because when i was removing the assembly from the tank, fuel was stored in it and wouldn't come out until it was tipped upside down

I have ordered a whole new assembly off ebay for $230. that is the whole lot, pump, filter/regulator and all. fingers crossed this will fix my issue. only thing is that it might take 2 weeks to get here because of christmas