PDA

View Full Version : Wet Brakes

Armadillo
24-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I have found an "interesting" problem with my XJ. After giving it a bit of love (read: a wash ;)) or when it has been sitting for a little while after driving in the wet, the brakes (both front and rear) will grab very aggressively when I initially apply them the first couple of times. The bang for the rear was unbelievable, and I literally crapped myself the first time it happened. :eek:

Once the brakes have dried out - usually within a couple of hundred metres, they are fine. This problem never happens in the dry and haven't done any water crossings yet to test them out in that situation.

I am suspecting that the ABS has crapped itself.

Edit: Google is my friend....It looks like I might have el-crappo pads and shoes, so Ill invest in some decent ones and see how it goes.

bruggz351
24-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Hmmm. Mine does this also. Actually, mine will do it on a rainy day for the first couple of applications. Will have to look into this about the pads.

I wonder what it'll be like now with rear discs??

cheers

mud_slut
25-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I was also experiencing this problem after replacing the shoes and cylinders in the rear and having flogged out pads and rotors in the front changed my rotors over to DBA standards and bendix 4wd pads in the front and it brakes x10 better now. I also changed the fluid over and had to bleed it as there was an air bubble in the rear lines.

undecided
26-12-2012, 03:26 PM
i have that problem after the old girl has been left sitting on the boat ramp. Never tried to sort it as it quickly disappears

MidnightMods
26-12-2012, 04:05 PM
How much water are you applying to the hot rotors? the sudden change in heat will make pads and rotors change shape very fast and can often lead to pads moving slightly but once you have applied the brakes hard enough for the pads to reseat then it will be fine. Also cheap pad will build up with brake dust and washing around the brakes often pushes the dust onto the rotor/pads surface which in this case takes a few 100mts of braking to clean themselves off again.

Remember do NOT even apply the handbrake on the car when you plan to wash around the brake area. It is bad news for the brake system

Armadillo
01-01-2013, 09:35 AM
I Have ordered a shoes, new cylinders and all the little springy bits for the rear. I found a small leak, so a rebuild is in order.:rolleyes:

jakob292721
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Wow, mine does the same, but only the rear, in wet weather. Parked in driveway when raining is the worst. Disappears after a few apps but will actually lock up on me. No problem with the front. Seems like another xj "issue". Could spin the wheels in the old green one, but can't with the new one.) :( thinking of raping the old diff brake parts and putting in the new xj, but wasn't sure if that was the issue or fluid related or something completely different! Can't wait for an answer. Thanks. :)