PDA

View Full Version : leaking TC

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Anyone know what the best option is to fix a leaking TC. It seems to be coming from the yoke (if that is what it is called). How would I go about fixing it, mech? It does not look like something I could do?

Regards A

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Anyone overhauled one of these and knows approx what time it takes? I need to guage mech labour in my costings. Looking at all options now as a second hand unit is too expensive for something that may fail in 12 months time.

Regards A

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Anyone know what the best option is to fix a leaking TC. It seems to be coming from the yoke (if that is what it is called). How would I go about fixing it, mech? It does not look like something I could do?

Regards A

Forgot to mention the leak is on the front drive shaft side.

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Anyone? Need help with this one as I was meant to be heading off soon.

More info, the front driveshaft bearing is slightly loose which is obviously why it is leaking. Now this was fine before I did the front diff. Is it possible that I put the driveshaft in the wrong way (it can only go in two ways)? I read on the net that the drive shaft should position should be marked on the yoke and drive shaft so it goes back in the same place as it came out, because of balancing.
Another question am I stuffing up the TC's internals by driving it with a buggard bearing?

Why does shit like this happen when there are no mechs availble for another week to get this sorted? :(:(:(

Regards A

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Ok so I am really in the shit Rockauto don't have an overhaul kit for the 242 unless it is the same as the 231 overhaul kit, which consequently is the one they are listing for my 98XJ? Can anyone help me out on this one?

Regards A

Wooders
30-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Anthony,
Why the mad panic thought that you need to rebuild (or replace the T/case).
You've only described a simple leak.
Which could be either the outer Yoke seal or the inner yoke seal (the one under the yoke nut).
Either is fairly cheap & easy to fix.

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Anthony,
Why the mad panic thought that you need to rebuild (or replace the T/case).
You've only described a simple leak.
Which could be either the outer Yoke seal or the inner yoke seal (the one under the yoke nut).
Either is fairly cheap & easy to fix.

Man you are life saver. I was hoping you would come on. Now I have a leak from the front yoke however the bearing is shot as well, there is play. From my research on the net it seems like the whole TC needs to come out and be split. Now as far as I can tell that means damaging the rear output seals as well to get it apart. I thought the best way to go is an overhaul kit that way I have everything. Please set me in the right direction Dave. I aam wanting to get going soon and this will hold me up. Do you have the parts?

Regards A

Wooders
30-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Start simple by looking at the leak. If the inside of the yoke is dry then it's the outer seal, if not then its the inner seal.
Have you checked the nut is tight?
Yes you need to open the case if it's the bearing, but before ripping into it check the simple things.

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Start simple by looking at the leak. If the inside of the yoke is dry then it's the outer seal, if not then its the inner seal.
Have you checked the nut is tight?
Yes you need to open the case if it's the bearing, but before ripping into it check the simple things.

Inside is dry oil is slinging up from the outside as far as I can tell. It is slinging enough fluid up that you can see it up on the floor well hump. I know the bearing is shot as there is play in the yoke shaft.

Regards A

anthonygubbin
30-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Probably won't be me dismantling it as I don't have a work space for doing such a job. So I am thinking I will need all the bits a mech might need to the job once it's out.

Regards A

Jonny Jeep
31-12-2012, 04:50 AM
According to http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/# the front output shaft bearing for a 242 is a 207XLO bearing and the seal is 3946.

Looks like the outer shell of of that bearing is convex so I'm not sure how it's fitted exactly. FSM shows the retaining circlip is on the inside of the case so it needs to be split open anyway to replace the bearing.

Have a look at the online factory service manuals at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm#service and you can find out how involved the job is. It's under Cherokee - 1996-2001 - Transmission and transfer case. You could even print out the pages and give them to a mech so they know how to go about it if unfamiliar with Jeeps.

junglejuice
31-12-2012, 06:59 AM
I know from experience that the tc can be split in situ fairly easily to get to that bearing, I have one at home in pieces so if you get stuck I can grab some pics for you....

anthonygubbin
31-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks JJ & Jonny. I printed off a forum post from another site so may give it a go myself. I have orderd the parts from Wdrs couldn't get a full kit so hopefully nothing else is worn out. Dave was able to set me up with the most likley worn out bits. So by the sounds of it I should be ok.

Regards A