PDA

View Full Version : new radiator time

BLAKLISTED
02-01-2013, 07:10 AM
So my stock radiator has packed it in and I'm trying to sort another one out. I might be keen on going the three core route as per go jeeps website. One thing mentioned there is the three core setup reduces air flow at low speeds. Since he was running a upgraded electric fan this may have helped the air flow.

I will be using my mechanical fan for the time being, and not sure if I will end up changing it. So should I stick with a good heavy duty two core or would the custom three core still be OK?

I should add, I do no towing, some beach work and trails. The Cherokee is a bit of a weekend warrior but i am planning to do a bit of touring in it in the future.

Cheers

Hamsteh
02-01-2013, 07:14 AM
My experience with radiators was: mine was blocked, dented and leaking from the plastic tanks, I had no real issues with overheating but it did run hot and would cycle the aux fan when stopped at the lights. I then decided to go the 2 core copper/brass adrad route for around $280 I think it was.

I found no real improvement to maximum temps reached, but did find that temps would drop quicker once the aux fan kicked in. I have so far found a MUCH bigger improvement as a result of going to a larger fan clutch so my personal advice would be to avoid spending big on the radiator as I don't really think that it is the limiting factor in cooling the XJ.

Just my personal experience/opinions though so take of it what you will.

Cheers,
Hamsteh

xj jorg
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
When mine needed replacing I went to my local natrad dealer and had one of theirs fitted.The rest of the cooling system is still standard and even on the hottest days wheeling with air con on it only ever gets just above the half mark.I eventually spaced the rear of my bonnet up to allow air flow through the back which didnt alter the the engine temps but has helped under bonnet temps that could help the electrics that suffer from heat under there.