PDA

View Full Version : Does the VM motor question?

rico86
04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
I replaced the coolant in the xj yesterday as it only had water and I just stopped driving it today and outta the thermo housing there is a house that goes no where and its leaking coolant! Is it normal or is it stuffed?

GawdZillA
04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
What was the temp display on the dash?

When you say thermo housing are you talking about the radiator cap? if its ontop of your radiator and your talking about the rubber hose that goes from just underneath the cap to the left of the engine bay, it would be your coolant overflow hose, It should be tucked into a bottle but if yours has been removed i would look to either installing a replacement or checking your coolant levels.

Would also pay to check the radiator cap.

mud_slut
04-01-2013, 12:02 PM
any chance you could upload a pic ?

all of the hosing is pretty easy to replace. i replaced all of mine about 10,000 ago and with the misc hoses ie not your radiator hoses i just went to super cheap sized them and the cut them to size when i got home..did it all for like $10-15 including all of the hose clamps

mud_slut
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I replaced the coolant in the xj yesterday as it only had water and I just stopped driving it today and outta the thermo housing there is a house that goes no where and its leaking coolant! Is it normal or is it stuffed?

also what do you mean by nowhere ??? all the hoses should go somewhere ?!?!? :p

rico86
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Nah I know the radiator overflow but its not that it's underneath the thermo housing it drops down the centre of the block behind the belt u can see it from underneath the carhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/04/myby2y2e.jpg

layback40
04-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Nah I know the radiator overflow but its not that it's underneath the thermo housing it drops down the centre of the block behind the belt u can see it from underneath the carhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/04/myby2y2e.jpg
Mine has a pipe like that connected to the water pump. It is the drain on the cavity between the seal & the bearing.

rico86
04-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Ok so when the car is running it drips and when I rev it a fair bit of coolant comes out is that normal? I over filled the radiator overflow up so it could be that but not sure

sfedek
04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Ok so when the car is running it drips and when I rev it a fair bit of coolant comes out is that normal? I over filled the radiator overflow up so it could be that but not sure

You need a new waterpump mate. That hose is connected to the pump & when we get coolant coming out of there its a sign to change the pump a.s.a.p. before we overheat & do a head.

Eddy

rico86
04-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Damn it's running fine not overheating or nothing drove mt pinnibar the other day 8 hrs of highway driving and no overheating at all

Escapable
04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Some good replies to this question, so here is the 20cents worth.......
Firstly .. when you ask a question, be specific.......
secondly ..when you have a "hose" .. find our where it is from and goes to (they all go somewhere or else something (heater?) does not work!

19 cents left:
Coolant ..BEWARE of this stuff in an "old" engine, that is one that has been running water for some period of time.. this is a problem ...
What does it do??
Simply put it cleans all of the scum from the pipes and engine internals, radiator, heater, anywhere the coolant flows to... so where does this lead to???
It also cleans all the scum and muck that is holding back the leaks ..this leak is prob one that was about to happen.. wait for the radiator and water pump problems.. they ARE about to happen!!!
Modern?? engines, even that in the JEEP are made up of iron and alloy parts all clumped togeter, so it is recommended in ALL engines to run coolant ALWAYS to avoid the scum buildup... if you must change it thats all cool, say 50/60K??
I change mine with the auto filter service, but the water pump heater pipe had different ideas so a change has been done allready.
I use the premis NULOn (no, I dont get a kick back for this) premix with distilled water and my rad guy suggests just a topup with tap water if required.

My best guess is this is the overflow hose, due to expansion??
As advised by others.. check your temp guage, if this engine aint under pressure, you will see it go up uphills and down downhills.....it should stay constant .. mone changes a few degrees, but at 220K I accept that!

If in doube get a mech to it ...IMMEDIATELY!
(cheaper then a new engine)

Note: if you dont know, why lift the hood?

rico86
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
The first thing I thought was water pump but the temp isn't moving around up hilly areas and not overheating and the actual hose isn't coming off the water pump its coming off the the thermo housing ill just have to get my mate to look at it tomorrow thanks for the replys guys

layback40
04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
The first thing I thought was water pump but the temp isn't moving around up hilly areas and not overheating and the actual hose isn't coming off the water pump its coming off the the thermo housing ill just have to get my mate to look at it tomorrow thanks for the replys guys

Maybe a pic of where it comes off would be useful. Mine comes off the water pump.

mud_slut
04-01-2013, 11:49 PM
mine attaches to the steel hose from the water pump as pictured

http://4x4point.com.au/cart/images/4864566.jpg

i also found this that might be helpful to your water pump problem

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/1272366

read through this and see if your have any of the other problems.

To me it does sound like a faulty pump and its premature failure signs don't always include overheating. in saying that the hose could have simply popped off and might need to be reconnected. can you confirm where the other end of the hose is connecting to ? the water pump perhaps ?

A faulty water pump is something you don't want and fixing it before its broken would be my advice (ive had two go one me). mind you it is a fairly easy thing to fix providing you're comfortable with removing your airbox and disconnecting a few hoses. if not i cant imagine it wouldnt take a mech more than an hour or so of his time as the xj water pump is fairly accessible compared to some cars

btw i wish the underside of my jeep was that clean :) i might have to get the degreaser out on the weekend

rico86
05-01-2013, 05:18 AM
It is the water pp from where I was looking it looked like thermo housing gotta get a new one this week. It's pretty clean ay!! U should of seen the state of it when I bought it

amlav
05-01-2013, 05:00 PM
No doubt. Your water pump seals are leaking and bearings are on the way out. That is the meanining of that hose to warn you that you loosing coolant torugh the pump bearing seals.
Replace pump asap.
Cheers,
Andrei

rico86
05-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Just ordered pump today will be here when I get back from killin boars :-)

mud_slut
06-01-2013, 02:21 AM
its not too hard to change the pump on the xj a lot better on some of the japanese cars ive worked on :) what pump did you go with ? Genunie ? Repco ? etc etc

did you just use a degreaser gun to get that to the state it was in ? or did you scrub it by hand ? i religioulsy user the engine bay cleaner to clean underneath the car but for some reason it never stays...probably doesnt help living on a farm though :)

rico86
06-01-2013, 03:37 AM
I ordered one from bursons I think it was ge or something like that yea I used degreaser first one the engine bay then just spent time with the gurni underneath but the car was filthy when I got it like inside and out was f*****

mud_slut
06-01-2013, 08:14 AM
nice :) just make sure you are across how the warranty works for parts there. When i tried ordering one from Bursons they said the had 4 in the system, which all had been returned for repairs.

Some retailers will actually cover repairs if say your pump prematurely fails however the condition or remuneration can be that it had to be installed by a professional or something along those lines.

mud_slut
06-01-2013, 08:15 AM
nice :) just make sure you are across how the warranty works for parts there. When i tried ordering one from Bursons they said the had 4 in the system, which all had been returned for repairs.

Some retailers will actually cover repairs if say your pump prematurely fails however one of the conditions of remuneration can be that it had to be installed by a professional or something along those lines.

rico86
06-01-2013, 08:20 AM
I find bursons pretty good they are heaps better than repco in my eyes anything iv needed for my jk, f truck or cruiser they have given me pretty good deals on and iv never had to take anything back unlike repco... Ripping Every Poor C*** Off lol

layback40
06-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Just ordered pump today will be here when I get back from killin boars :-)
Hey rico where are you goin killin boars?
There are a few down in the Milawa forest along the Murray & the Barmah just over the border. Most of it is NP but the NPWS & parks Vic dont worry much about guns & dogs at night.

rico86
06-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Heading up gulgong way at the moment prob hang around the got my cousins up east of gulgong but yeah no real plans was in vic last week camping n wheelin only had one dog with me but did really look for anything tho

layback40
06-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Heading up gulgong way at the moment prob hang around the got my cousins up east of gulgong but yeah no real plans was in vic last week camping n wheelin only had one dog with me but did really look for anything tho
Its all drying out in the forests down this way so you can get in to the swamps that they frequent. A few deer & goats as well. Best not upset the wild horses though or you will have a mob of screaming young horsey girls after you ! ;)

rico86
06-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Hahaha goats and deers are good got a fair few in 2011 in high country but last year haven't been able to get away cause of work but this year moving back to the country so be def getting back into it