PDA

View Full Version : XJ 2.5 Diesel Oil Leak - VIDEO

BillyOneMate
05-01-2013, 10:54 PM
I have a oil leak form my 1999 2.5 Diesel XJ, was hoping it was just the rocker cover gasket, but replaced that with no joy.

Have made a video so you can see what is going on, wondered if it maybe the Oil Seperator in the video as there is some oil coming from that ... or if anybody has on any thoughts on where else it could be? Took it to my local mechanic who degreased it and said it might be the head gasket but it was hard to tell! Don't want to go that route unless i am certain.
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

http://youtu.be/V9s9STszXU0

Mudmonster
06-01-2013, 08:33 AM
i beleive it is coming from the O-ring at the back of the cam, i did one a while back on one of my jeeps and mine is doing the same thing now.
you will need to pull the gear box out to fix it and do the rear main seal while in there of course.

i did have some photos but can find them?

layback40
06-01-2013, 08:49 AM
i beleive it is coming from the O-ring at the back of the cam, i did one a while back on one of my jeeps and mine is doing the same thing now.
you will need to pull the gear box out to fix it and do the rear main seal while in there of course.

i did have some photos but can find them?

X2.
About the same time MM was doing his RMS, I had a similar leak. About 1ltr every 200km at times. I did the RMS & it didnt fix it.
Had to pull it to bits again.
When you take the bell housing adapter off you will find there is an O ring at the back of the cam, also there is a large O ring around the main bearing housing, best remove the housing & check it ~ was broken on mine. There are a couple of other O rings there. just replace all of them. I also used plenty of high temp oil resistant silicone in the O ring grooves & in a circle around them so if they let go again the silicone should still seal.
Good luck !

BillyOneMate
06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys, any pictures would be great...not sure if this job is going to be beyond me, i'll have to look into what's involved first as i've never pulled a gear-box off before...but am willing to have a go if it doesn't look too bad...

Mudmonster
07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys, any pictures would be great...not sure if this job is going to be beyond me, i'll have to look into what's involved first as i've never pulled a gear-box off before...but am willing to have a go if it doesn't look too bad...

it would be about a days job in and out if you havent done one before, you wiil need to have a good tool collection due to the ammount of differant size nuts and bolts and maybe a rattle gun or impact wrench to crack the flywheel bolts.
i used a hydrolic motor bike jack/stand on wheels to lower and raise the box.

i have done this kinda job about 5 times in 2 weeks so im pretty quick at it now :)

if you do it yourself and have any questions about it feel free to ask.

Balkanac
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
might aswell do the clutch while you are taking the box off, or at least the thrust bearing. They are always noisy, mine sounds like it wants to jump out :)

mud_slut
07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
might aswell do the clutch while you are taking the box off, or at least the thrust bearing. They are always noisy, mine sounds like it wants to jump out :)

mine was noisy for a while when i first got the car as in the thing wouldnt shut up at low speed maneuvers but then after a bit of fwy driving it just shut up :D im guessing it was the thrust bearing as it would only make the noise when you were chaging low range gears..

how bad is it change the RMS i have the seal here but a clutch would have to be the biggest job for me to come across

layback40
07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
mine was noisy for a while when i first got the car as in the thing wouldnt shut up at low speed maneuvers but then after a bit of fwy driving it just shut up :D im guessing it was the thrust bearing as it would only make the noise when you were chaging low range gears..

how bad is it change the RMS i have the seal here but a clutch would have to be the biggest job for me to come across

waste of time just doing RMS. I did clutch as well & had to go back in & do the other O rings. its about another 2-3 hrs to do RMS & other O rings if you are doing clutch.
You will get a big shock when you price a clutch.

mud_slut
08-01-2013, 07:20 AM
waste of time just doing RMS. I did clutch as well & had to go back in & do the other O rings. its about another 2-3 hrs to do RMS & other O rings if you are doing clutch.
You will get a big shock when you price a clutch.

hahha ive already been down the pricing road...its ridiculous..i think the best price i could get on an excedy HD was like close to a grand or maybe it was 700 cant remember... i think its like 300 for a HD for my rx7 ?!?!? i dont know what the pricing team must smoke at excedy.

i think after much debate with others the clutch i was going to go for was a Clutch Industries 4terrain

http://clutchindustries.com.au/range/4terrainclutch.html

from my understanding its a job much better suited to a hoist ...im kinda tempted to get one :) for this and various other jobs that need doing on the cars

layback40
08-01-2013, 07:38 AM
hahha ive already been down the pricing road...its ridiculous..i think the best price i could get on an excedy HD was like close to a grand or maybe it was 700 cant remember... i think its like 300 for a HD for my rx7 ?!?!? i dont know what the pricing team must smoke at excedy.

i think after much debate with others the clutch i was going to go for was a Clutch Industries 4terrain

http://clutchindustries.com.au/range/4terrainclutch.html

from my understanding its a job much better suited to a hoist ...im kinda tempted to get one :) for this and various other jobs that need doing on the cars

Problem is its a low revving high torque diesel. IIRC a V8 holden plate will fit. If you put the plates side by side you can see the correct one is much heavier in construction. The ones to get are made by Saach in Germany, Probably original.
The clutch for a diesel jap 4X4 is just as expensive.

A hoist maybe nice, with good ground clearance its not so bad. no need for ramps or lifting the jeep. just move the box back a few feet & its ok to work on.

The Smiths
08-01-2013, 08:09 AM
If the car is lifted then no problem - could even use a custom transmission jack:mrgreen:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/mds-houses/jeep/cherry/c7153d62.jpg

BillyOneMate
10-01-2013, 05:53 AM
ha ha, great pic!
Mine is a manual gearbox, does pulling it out job require any special tools?
do you need to re-centre the clutch when you put it back on?

layback40
10-01-2013, 08:27 AM
ha ha, great pic!
Mine is a manual gearbox, does pulling it out job require any special tools?
do you need to re-centre the clutch when you put it back on?
No special tools needed.
You do re-center the clutch, its easy as its not a recessed flywheel. Just start the pressure plate blots & center the plate by feeling around the perimeter, easy as.

BillyOneMate
24-02-2013, 02:24 AM
I finally got around to getting this done, the gearbox is off now, and looks like the cam was the culprit, thanks Mudmonster and Layback40

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68567941/XJCamShaftOilLeak.JPG

mud_slut
24-02-2013, 10:05 AM
nice job :)