View Full Version : Ground clearance / tummy tuck

alanbarn
08-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I've got a TJ which I'm trying to make as capable as possible offroad without spending $1000s, so I'm trying to max it out as far as I can while keeping it 'standard' (as in std shocks, springs, brake lines, fuel filler etc etc)

So far I've got:

31 x 10.5 tyres
1-1/4" body lift (with transmission shift lever drop)
1" motor mount lift
ARB Front Bullbar
Heavy duty rear bumper and swing away tyre carrier.

Everything else is standard at present.

To get maximum benefit from the tyres (and because the I've experienced the TJ shovel effect of the standard transmission skid plate), I'm thinking about to get as much ground clearance as possible by:

1, Lifting the standard petrol tank skid 1.5" (by cutting and bolting the old one (cos I don't have a welder)), this should have no issues as far as I'm aware.

2, Fitting a tummy tuck to gain as much ground clearance as possible (with the 31" tyres).
If I do this will I need to start looking at SYE, driveshafts etc etc?
How much can I tuck it up with a 1-1/4" body lift?

I'm a bit worried about all of the extra weight (especially the front and rear bars) on the standard springs. So later on will I need some some heavy duty springs?

brenttj
08-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah most likely wil need an sye and dc shaftas it raises the tcase

rupicon
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Yep you will need an SYE with a good tuck

Sifter
08-01-2013, 02:04 PM
What gearbox are you running?
The 6 speed is a bit more of an issue with tummy tucks.

I would go for:
1. SYE and DC tail shaft
2. Adjustable upper rear control arms
3. A Savvy Aluminium tummy tuck http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/category.sc?categoryId=11
4. A 1.25" body lift

rupicon
08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
I did the aev tummy tuck excellent increase in clearance not cheap and may not be readily available now ether.
Some pics of it in what have u done to your TJ thread, best mod I have done

Toff
09-01-2013, 06:07 AM
I'd add a MML with the 1"BL.
I'd then talk to Wooders about the GenRight Belly up - I like it best because it's a seperate support for the transmission.

alanbarn
09-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Mines a 6 speed (not sure of the actual gearbox part number).

I'll have a look at the Belly up

Going to fit a Novak transmission cable too to prevent any hassles with the linkage.

bonza
09-01-2013, 10:56 AM
as you have a 6 speed you would have the same skid plate as me. it has a "lip" on the front of the skid that points downwards and scoops up everthing like a bulldozer. all I did with mine was oxy cut the front of the skid. this was the equivalent of lifting 1". not as good as a tummy tuck, but a big big improvement for stuff all cost.

you can also get an OME suspension kit with different rate springs for various loads. the kit includes springs and nitro charger shocks, gives 50mm lift and costs $1199.00. fitting at arb costs about $375

alanbarn
09-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I'll be cutting that lip off :D