PDA

View Full Version : Air Con

Nezzy
14-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Hey guys

A mate of mine has a 2001 XJ Classic and has got a problem with his air con. The last re-gas only lasted 4 days. His ac guy put the dye in the system and its not showing up any leaks - he thinks it may be behind the dash.

Has anyone had a similar problem - is it a common one?

Is it easy enough to pull the dash out? We were thinking of doing that to save some $ on labour...

If anyone has any advice, that would be great - he's trying to keep the cost of the repair down as he's been told by another XJ owner that fixing his ac cost him $1600!

Cheers

darksidecustoms
14-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Can't comment on any potential leaks, but apparently pulling the dash can be a pain. A good few hours at least.

kyphonii
15-01-2013, 04:22 AM
Hey guys

A mate of mine has a 2001 XJ Classic and has got a problem with his air con. The last re-gas only lasted 4 days. His ac guy put the dye in the system and its not showing up any leaks - he thinks it may be behind the dash.

Has anyone had a similar problem - is it a common one?

Is it easy enough to pull the dash out? We were thinking of doing that to save some $ on labour...

If anyone has any advice, that would be great - he's trying to keep the cost of the repair down as he's been told by another XJ owner that fixing his ac cost him $1600!

Cheers
I'm a cynical Bas$@#d,
Id want to see the stained part before I paid.

ApacheResistance
15-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Pulling the dash isn't hard, but it isn't fun. :roll:

Takes a solid day or two, and there are lots of parts you will need to dissemble.

Jeeps are pretty notorious for having holes in the evaporator coil. My current jeep has a hole in the evap that i'm not going to fix, and one of my mates has a stock XJ and it to formed a leak in the evap coil. He went ahead and fixed it, but boy was it a job.

To check for leaks in my evap coil i use a refrigerant sniffer, and i pump some R-134A into the system so it can sniff it if it comes out. (mind you my dad is an HVAC tech and has a bunch of extra stuff laying around.) I don't actually think a shop will put any freon in the system if they know it's going to leak out because it "puts a hole in the ozone layer" and it's literally money out of their pocket unless you pay for it.

I'd tell you to convert the compressor to on board air so you can fill tires and run air tools, but being in Aus you actually need the A/C. Over here when it gets hot the doors come off, and it's more than enough to keep me cool while driving.

Here is a thread on how to do it, (For a LHD XJ) but all the pictures have since disappeared due to the age of the thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-actual-evaporator-heater-core-removal-installation-thread-592844/

Here is another one with a bunch of information in it.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/c-evaporator-core-repair-17364/index3/

Muttley
15-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I just found out I have a leak coming in through the cowl under the front window and the heater appears to only be working on full (4) on the dial. Also it wont change the setting it is on ( appears to be stuck on demister). Would it be the heater jammed on open with water coming into the cab through the vent?
Cheers