PDA

View Full Version : Aircon compressor

jakob292721
15-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi there, after just spending money on a regas, a spring broke on the clutch plate. Then the bearing decided to die. No problem, yet. Thinking that changing the bearing would be no problem, I decided to chase up a second hand clutch plate. After no luck yet, because for obvious reasons people won't separate the plate, I gave up and tried to get the bearing off. No luck with that either after getting to the point where I though the puller would brake. So I left the car at work, in pieces, and came home to check the Haynes repair manual I have for some clues. Guess they thought it would be funny to make a separate book for the aircon, which I don't have. :-x This is really testing my patience and if it was valued more under insurance maybe something may have accidentally happened to it.:wall: I was hoping not to have to lose the new gas/money and just replace the worn parts, so if anyone has any ideas, it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks. :)

Escapable
15-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I dont understand this at all .. maybe I've been working on mine too long?

Just bypass the mongrel compressor! .. There are threads on here about the length of the belt without the compressor and how to fit em (mine went for 20 000km this way .. or

Get a new clutch and bearing (the bearing aint anythting special) as the old one will be totally ruined anyway, and likewise for most of the others avail, especially if the bearing collapsed - did you remove the spring clip that hold the bearing in place?

Get a whole new compressor - these can be quite cheap if you look around, maybe import one but about the same in the long run as a local supply.

Maybe a real workshop manual that covers the air-con.. the hayes manual is for a complet range of vehicles, and these are assumed to be LHD non export models.

jakob292721
15-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Sorry, lol, it was written in frustration! Didn't think you could get new plates? Tried a few places this arvo and no one could help. Does the pulley come off with the puller and then the clip for the bearing? Just couldn't see any sign of anything holding it on? (yes the bearing is knackered, hence why I was trying to get it off!) Got the book for free so might chuck it and get a decent one. New ones are out of my price range and ones from the wreckers are risky for what they are asking. Being my 2nd xj without aircon, I'm keen to get it working. Thanks for your help. :)

junglejuice
16-01-2013, 06:26 AM
You need to get hold of the FSM and the parts manual, the two used in conjunction will tell you far more then the Haynes manual, there is a link to the downlad location at greatlakes xj site on here somewhere....

Hamsteh
16-01-2013, 07:20 AM
My compressor bearing is on the way out also, is this consistently an easy-ish repair?
Or are some more difficult than others? (Something about punching out pins?)

Escapable
16-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Hamsteh .... di it before the bearing collapses as iti can damage the shaft or bind itself to it as well as destroy the clutch as this does not have a chance once the bearing goes feral, not to mention the belt spinning off.

It is easy to bypass the compressor with a shorter belt (I had to go backwards around the idler pulley but after 20 000 it was still working fine).

Depending on what setup your XJ is will determine the belt size (mine is 2030, full size is 2275).

I managed to finid a MOPAR compressor complete on Ebay form the US for around 300 so if anyone wants a good compressor (no clutch or bearing, some damage to the shaft but otherwise OK) I have one that is not needed.

carlosprite
18-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Anyone have a part number for the bearing? Or know the size?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

jakob292721
18-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Sorry mate, I can't help, I ruined the compressor trying to get the pulley off. Have bypassed it for now until I can afford a new one. Good luck. :)