View Full Version : Cupla TJ water pump ??'s

wes
21-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Looks like I will need to replace the water pump on my 97 TJ in the near future.

Is there any difference between LHD & RHD water pumps?

What's the general consensus, should I replace the fan clutch while I'm at it?
(97 TJ with 240K on the clock)

bonza
22-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Is there any difference between LHD & RHD water pumps?
not that I am aware of. the parts manual for my TJ lists the same number for both versions, so I see no reason it shouldnt be the same for a '97 even though they use a different pump to a later model

What's the general consensus, should I replace the fan clutch while I'm at it?
(97 TJ with 240K on the clock)
I would, especially if it is the original. they dont last forever and are not expensive

Tassie Jeeper
22-01-2013, 05:44 PM
i got a high flow water pump from ebay i think
and i think the clutch fan i got from wooders for $100-$150 to my door and it was there before i got out of bed the next morning cant complain:cool:

id do both i got the new pump and fitted it all up and fired her up and there was a clinking noise the fan blades were touching my pulleys!! :shock:

so i got the new clutch fan and removed my radiator for the 3rd time that week to fit it up what a bastard of a week that was :wall:

wes
22-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys - I will order a water pump and fan clutch.

Tassie - I will probably pass on the high-flow water pump.
How did you manage to get the fan hitting the pulleys?
And you had to pull the radiator (3 times!)?
I was hoping to do the job with the radiator in place.

Tassie Jeeper
22-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks guys - I will order a water pump and fan clutch.

Tassie - I will probably pass on the high-flow water pump.
How did you manage to get the fan hitting the pulleys?
And you had to pull the radiator (3 times!)?
I was hoping to do the job with the radiator in place.

the bearing in my clutch fan let go and there was allot of play in it which allowed the fan blades to move a significant amount and they were hitting the pulleys.
this movement could have caused premature failure in my water pump but i think it had more to do with over heating the engine.

How it all started:
i had to remove the radiator to clean the mud out of it hence the engine overheating prior,
i cleaned the radiator (Carefully) with the "Kartcher" and then fitted it back up after fitment i started the engine and noticed fluid seeping from the water pump so new water pump it was,
so i ordered a new water pump drained the radiator again then removed it again to replace the water pump.

after putting the jeep back together this i when i noticed the tinging noise which is when i realized i needed a new clutch fan so i ordered that and pulled the radiator for the 3rd time (FUN) fitted the new clutch fan and put the jeep back together.

u can do the water pump/clutch fan with the radiator in but i think its easier to remove it and i have to admit i can do it quite quickly now:hammer:

not to mention that the clutch fan pulley was rubbing on the water pump and i had to grind out some material from the water pump and lathe down the pulley so it would clear:wall:

then all was good for about a month at which the engine started to blow smoke, loose compression and get a whir+backlash in the gearbox so the whole week of time i spent on the engine plus parts was for nothing as it will be cheaper to do a ls1 conversion than to rebuild my gearbox on its own and then i still gotta do the engine:wall:

to make matters worse i am now un-employed atm and cannot get a job either in my field or elsewhere and am broke as a skunk.

off topic now but all the bushes in my control arms, steering arms/tie rod's need replacing panhards etc... and i need a new steering damper

RANT OVER FML:mrgreen:

wes
23-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Holy crap, I thought I had problems - you've made me feel much better **)

I will have a go at changing the water pump and fan clutch with the radiator in place - like you say it's easy enough to take it out if need be - but you've had a lot more practise :D
You've definately sold me on replacing the fan clutch at the same time.

I'm guessing you had issues with the fan pulley rubbing on the water pump because you had the aftermarket water pump.

And good luck with the job hunting.

Tassie Jeeper
23-01-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm guessing you had issues with the fan pulley rubbing on the water pump because you had the aftermarket water pump.

yer it was a cheapy ebay unit i think ill post some pics here.

And good luck with the job hunting.

cheers mate appreciate it.

Tassie Jeeper
23-01-2013, 05:45 PM
here are some photo's of the conversion:

about half way down;)

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49211&page=12

Tassie Jeeper
23-01-2013, 05:57 PM
more pikies for ya.

a tip u will need a wedge of some sort to stop the fan belt slipping when trying to undo the clutch fan unless u take it all off in 1 piece (from memory i could not access all the bolts this way and had to remove the clutch fan first and then the water pump). It was way back in july when i did it poor jeep hasn't been for a real drive since:cry:

wes
23-01-2013, 06:17 PM
here are some photo's of the conversion:

about half way down;)

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49211&page=12

This link takes me back to page 12 of 'What have you done to your TJ...' waaaay back in 2007.
I thought maybe there was a number missing after 12, so crawled pages 120 -129.
You make a mention of a leaky radiator on page 121, but no pics.

Thanks for the pics in your latest post.
The thumbnail pics are all scrambled at the moment, so I will check back later.

Tassie Jeeper
23-01-2013, 09:12 PM
This link takes me back to page 12 of 'What have you done to your TJ...' waaaay back in 2007.
I thought maybe there was a number missing after 12, so crawled pages 120 -129.
You make a mention of a leaky radiator on page 121, but no pics.

Thanks for the pics in your latest post.
The thumbnail pics are all scrambled at the moment, so I will check back later.

page 12 is right...?
maybe cause my ajor is set up backwards (newest posts at the top and page 1 is newest)??

i duno.

and yer ages ago i had a leaky radiator its got some gay "V" shaped bracket between the radiator and the AC (REMOVE IT PERMINETELY) it had been rubbing on my radiator and put a hole in it and it was $800 for a new one

rhysTJ
23-01-2013, 09:23 PM
wes mate TJ fan clutch nuts suck from about 2000ish onwards there one huge nut you'll need a air hammer to do the job and come out with any hair left. the four bolts on the earlier models where alot easier.

i just did my fan clutch and halfway through it i thought shoot shoulda done the water pump while i was here...

I did my fan clutch with the radiator in place no drama's at all, got to unbolt fan shroud but thats it although it is a risky thing the fan blade would chop your rad like melted butter.

i had to trim my fan blades about 4mm to stop contact with several pullys, the ones from SBR and wooders would be better i just brought mine from ym work thats probably why... aussie suppliers cant seem to handle jeep parts ;)

wes
23-01-2013, 10:05 PM
wes mate TJ fan clutch nuts suck from about 2000ish onwards there one huge nut you'll need a air hammer to do the job and come out with any hair left. the four bolts on the earlier models where alot easier.

I've got a '97, so should be in the clear - although, looks like they are 4 studs (not bolts) on mine.
I found some cheap replacement studs on-line so I will get a set of those as well - save me pulling the old ones out and re-using them.

I did my fan clutch with the radiator in place no drama's at all, got to unbolt fan shroud but thats it although it is a risky thing the fan blade would chop your rad like melted butter..
I'll have a go with the radiator in place, maybe put a peice of plywood (or something) over the radiator fins. If it gets dodgy, I'll just pull the radiator out as well.

i had to trim my fan blades about 4mm to stop contact with several pullys, the ones from SBR and wooders would be better i just brought mine from ym work thats probably why... aussie suppliers cant seem to handle jeep parts ;)
You had to trim your fan blades just from changing the fan clutch?

wes
23-01-2013, 10:19 PM
page 12 is right...?
maybe cause my ajor is set up backwards (newest posts at the top and page 1 is newest)??
Found the pics :D
I've got my ajor account set up the other way around - it was page 177 for me.
That busted bolt must have been a pain.
Don't think I'd be comfortable taking a chunk out of my brand new water pump either - reckon I'd stuff it up :hammer:
Hopefully I don't have the same dramas.

ages ago i had a leaky radiator its got some gay "V" shaped bracket between the radiator and the AC (REMOVE IT PERMINETELY) it had been rubbing on my radiator and put a hole in it and it was $800 for a new one

I'll check this out while I'm at it - you are not talking about the big V shaped bracket you can see through the grill ?? :confused:

Tassie Jeeper
24-01-2013, 04:54 PM
maybe that was where is was supposed to be but mine was between the radiator and ac.

a big square of cardboard and some duct tape would protect your radiator nicely,
my radiator was on 12months old so i made sure not to F%$K it;)

in addition to the small amout of material ground from water pump (very small) yes i too was scared of going through, thats why when it still rubbed i lathed down the pulley, and when it still touched i lathed up a 1/2" spacer to go between the fan and pump:cool: