PDA

View Full Version : How many hrs to repair a TC

anthonygubbin
22-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Hey guys I have my TC out and I can not dismantle it as I do not have the right tools and they are not availble where I live. Therefore it needs to go to the mech tomorrow and I want to know how long it should take him so I can work out my cost. Anyone who has done please let me know?

Regards A

Dustbowl
22-01-2013, 05:05 PM
AG, Torque Converter or Transfer Case? :p ;)

anthonygubbin
22-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Transfer case.

Dustbowl
22-01-2013, 06:19 PM
To the Mechanic who knows what he is doing a Jeep Transfer is a 2-3 hr job, if that, the cost depends on how you sourced the case, $90 an hour labour thereabouts, plus what you paid for the Transfer Case.
If the mechanic sources his own, you may pay between a couple of hundred dollars or a couple of grand.

ApacheResistance
23-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Hey guys I have my TC out and I can not dismantle it as I do not have the right tools and they are not availble where I live. Therefore it needs to go to the mech tomorrow and I want to know how long it should take him so I can work out my cost. Anyone who has done please let me know?

Regards A

What's wrong with the case? Is it a 231 or a 242?

Dustbowl
23-01-2013, 06:54 AM
What's wrong with the case? Is it a 231 or a 242?

I'm pretty sure he has a 242, it's a 98 model from my bad memory :p

ApacheResistance
23-01-2013, 07:27 AM
I'm pretty sure he has a 242, it's a 98 model from my bad memory :p

If you can hardly remember that i should be shot for asking this next question. Do you know what is wrong with it or is he just trying to SYE it?

greeno
23-01-2013, 07:54 AM
I've done it and it's not a big job say 2 hrs to pull down wash up and put her back together

Dustbowl
23-01-2013, 07:56 AM
If you can hardly remember that i should be shot for asking this next question. Do you know what is wrong with it or is he just trying to SYE it?

Hahaha not sure he knows, from what I can gather he wants to get a SYE done, however he could have some chain stretch in there too.

Apache, did you hack & Tap yours?

ApacheResistance
23-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Hahaha not sure he knows, from what I can gather he wants to get a SYE done, however he could have some chain stretch in there too.

Apache, did you hack & Tap yours?

I did neither. Actually right on Halloween night I slammed into a huge drainage ditch that I didn't see with the jeep. The centerpin on my driver side leaf pack sheared off. Caused my entire axle to slide back and actually pulled the driveshaft right out of the TCase. Had to put it in 4wd and limp it home with only the front driveshaft pulling her along. Only in a jeep.

My rear shaft is literally only about 2 inches if that on the output of the TCase.

Buddy has a NP231 with a SYE installed and wants 100$ cash for it. Thing works perfect. Only problem is its 140 miles away. I know I should go get it. I might grab it when I go get my power heated WJ seats this weekend.

I'm noticing so many differences between the USA and oz. I can go get a fully working TCase for like 100$ and you guys need to pay thousands to SERVICE yours. My tranny blows? Can swap in a perfectly working used one for around 300$ with a TCase already bolted on it. Engine blows? 400-500$ max for a replacement. I was even going to complain about that, but I can't. Haha.

As soon as my internet starts working again ill post a link of a guy stripping down a 231. Does it step by step. Anyone could follow it.

anthonygubbin
23-01-2013, 11:22 AM
No SYE's, no chains, all I am getting done is two seals, a bearing, slinger and fork pads. I only needed to know how long so I can work out an approx cost. Someone said 2hrs so if I allow for three then I will have enough to pay him.

Regards A