PDA

View Full Version : Front Diff Offset

Johnny XJ
23-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi Crew

I recently installed an 2" OME and upgraded to 31s and noticed the right tyre sticks out an inch more than the left from the flares! I had a wheel alignment and track bar adjusted but the right still sticks out! Not sure if this was like this prior to lift and tyres or only noticed because of the new tyres! Any ideas welcome....

Cheers!

Dustbowl
23-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Crew

I recently installed an 2" OME and upgraded to 31s and noticed the right tyre sticks out an inch more than the left from the flares! I had a wheel alignment and track bar adjusted but the right still sticks out! Not sure if this was like this prior to lift and tyres or only noticed because of the new tyres! Any ideas welcome....

Cheers!

Try relocating your Pan Hard (using a bracket or so) or making it longer If my memory serves me well, no other logical solution comes to mind... Yet :Penguin:

murray
24-01-2013, 01:25 AM
adjustable panard rod is needed

sturz_00
24-01-2013, 04:59 AM
I,ll 2nd that Murray

mud_slut
24-01-2013, 05:46 AM
is that standard for any xj when doing a 2" lift ? looking at lifting mine very soon

Dustbowl
24-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Normally not for 2 inches, but aparrently so in this case, they are a great idea to get done anyway :)

junglejuice
24-01-2013, 06:09 AM
No it is not normal for an Xj to be out by so much with such a small lift, on mine at 2" lift it was out by around 10-12mm IIRC for it to be out by 25mm then something is wrong either with the measurements or the front end....

mud_slut
24-01-2013, 11:25 AM
mm i was thinking of replacing the steering dampener with one of these as my one is shot

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-XJ-ZG-Cherokee-Grand-Cherokee-TOUGH-DOG-RTC-steering-stabilizer-damper-/121052424827?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2f496a7b

i guess i should pick one of these up as well

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-XJ-CHEROKEE-4x4-HEAVY-DUTY-ADJUSTABLE-PANHARD-ROD-/280606726254?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415576d86e

mud_slut
24-01-2013, 01:28 PM
No it is not normal for an Xj to be out by so much with such a small lift, on mine at 2" lift it was out by around 10-12mm IIRC for it to be out by 25mm then something is wrong either with the measurements or the front end....

JJ with respect to the front end..what are we talking here, damaged control arms ? or do you mean something more like body damage ? and the shell is not straight ??

cheers :D

Capt. Crunch
24-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Hey mate if the track bar / pan hard is not lined properly or is loose then when you turn it will cause more offset, you need to undo the panhard from the diff. drive the car back and forth in a straight line a few times, get out shake the car left and right then up and down at the front end so the car seats itself nicely over the front axle.

check it then and you might find it's lined up properly, put your pandhard in place again and you'll see it's shifted to the right by a few mm (10 - 12 as mentioned). This means your diff has moved to the left by that same amount relative to body of the car. you can either do a cheap fix by drilling the mounting plate or you can get the adjustable.
http://liftyourxj.com/tweaks.html#Speedo

Johnny XJ
24-01-2013, 07:15 PM
boys I got an adjustable panhard and the suspension reckons they adjusted it, obviously not!

junglejuice
24-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Measure from the spring seat to a straight edge on the outside of the tyres and compare this measurement from side to side to get an idea of how much it is out by, you can then compare this to the gap between the tyres and the flares and if all is well with the car these should match, if they differ then one of the guards and/or flares is not sitting true...