PDA

View Full Version : loose steering issue

Balkanac
25-01-2013, 10:38 AM
The steering in my XJ has always been loose, the steering turns about 1inch and car does not react. I took it to a suspesion shop and they tightened the nut on the pitman arm which took away half of the looseness.
Could this be a problem with the steering box itself? There are no noises when turning, i had the rail welded a few years back
All the search came up with were the rail issues

rastus2571
25-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Have a look here mate....

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/steering-wheel-looseness-98-xj-adjust-steering-box-24180/

rainman
25-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Check track bar at both ends is tight and not moving. Check track bar mount is secure, check no cracks on chassis around steering box mount track bar mount.
Best is to lay under car and get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth through the dead zone while you look. Often stands out like dog nuts.

Balkanac
25-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a go

ApacheResistance
26-01-2013, 12:26 AM
When i bought my front bumper it came with a steering box brace. I popped out the bolts, and low and behold my stock spacer was broken in about 4 different pieces. Put on the new brace, and it was tighter but not super tight.

I narrowed it down to having a shot steering box. Have someone get in the jeep and turn the wheel. Watch the steering where it goes into the box. If it twists like half a turn, and no movement comes out of the pitman arm, the box is probably worn out. I could post up how to replace it if you want. I have step by step instructions on my desktop at home.

You could also have a crack in the rail where some of the turning motion goes before it goes into the pitman arm.

I'd check all other steering components before i went ahead and changed out the box. A lot of dudes upgrade the box with a Durrango steering box, but it's a pain in the neck. Read up on it if you want.

ApacheResistance
27-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Here is a great writeup on how to bolt up a durrango box to a Cherokee. Even if you're replacing your XJ box with another XJ box it's a great reference.

www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/durango-steering-box-upgrade-3805/

Balkanac
06-05-2013, 01:34 PM
sorry for bringing up an old thread, i had a look around the steering box and components and im sure its my steering box thats loose.

can anyone recommend a workshop in Perth that can rebuild the box for me?

junglejuice
06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
You can buy a brand new steering box from Wooders.....

valpacer
06-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Have you tried adjusting the top of the steering box?

I just picked up a 370 odd km XJ, replace the tireads and tube with a HD CRDStu unit, checked everything else, still had over 2 inches of play.

1/4 turn on the steering box and i now have the smallest amount of play. No new box for me. Yet :p

Dave

Antiferret
08-05-2013, 09:48 PM
i notice same thing.

no play, when i did the test (someone else turning wheel) the whole steering shaft assembley (not pitman, but all drag links including damper) rotates a fraction first, then the wheels turn.

is there a way to get rid of the stupid Y arrangement setup, and have a single drag link setup like patrols etc?