View Full Version : Steering Damper fitment?

jonesey19
26-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I have just purchased a new skyjacker steering damper (standard fitment) and proceeded to install it on my 2002 TJ , when I bought the vehicle it didn't have a damper fitted, I did not notice that the axle bracket had been modified to take what could only be a shorter SD. Now that I have the new SD I would still like to install it , but I will obviously have to re-fab an axle bracket to suit. Here lies the question, do I raise the bracket to take the thicker SD clear of the steering arms? If I do by how much? I have read numerous posts regarding running the TJ without one.I do not have any steering issues , (without damper) but would still like to smooth it out a bit as its my daily drive. The jeep is lifted and runs 31 's.

wes
26-01-2013, 05:01 PM
You can get a special bracket from Blackjackwelding.

http://www.blackjackwelding.com.au/our-products/tj-wrangler-1997-2006

I stuck some washers under mine to raise it up a bit and haven't had any problems

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55728&d=1342923947

jonesey19
26-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks wes, did you fit blackjack adapter? or is yours fitted to stock bracket? I have enough clearance on the tapered bolt connection without the need of washers or spacer etc. I can fab a bracket rather than pay $55 plus p+p just need some idea of how far off the axle I need. If you have a photo of your axle bracket that would help thx
jonesey

wes
26-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I didn't get the blackjack adapter but I know plenty who use it - mine's stock at the other end.

Jonny Jeep
27-01-2013, 06:53 AM
With the right hand drive models only the stock steering damper and pro-comp fit. All other steering dampers seem to be "heavy duty" thicker diameter and don't fit without some kind of mod.

jonesey19
27-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Yes , thanks for reply. I need to mod axle bracket anyway (whats left of it) so I will guesstimate the clearance etc. If anyone has a photo of a modded bracket on the axle to accommodate a 50mm dia SD then that would help.

jonesey

Tassie Jeeper
27-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Yes , thanks for reply. I need to mod axle bracket anyway (whats left of it) so I will guesstimate the clearance etc. If anyone has a photo of a modded bracket on the axle to accommodate a 50mm dia SD then that would help.

jonesey

mine looks to be modified it was on there when purchased i can upload a pic tomorrow

sorry was busy today will try and get 1 in the morning

jonesey19
29-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Cheers for that, a photo will help, no rush, I need to grind off bits of old bracket first.

Jonesey

Tassie Jeeper
29-01-2013, 10:45 AM

here it is its pretty rough but i didn't make it

Sontssonts
29-01-2013, 11:42 AM

here it is its pretty rough but i didn't make it

This is the same as the black jack one. I have it and it works

jonesey19
29-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated , will fab something up at the weekend.
Cheers!

Jonesey

Tassie Jeeper
05-02-2013, 01:06 PM
This is the same as the black jack one. I have it and it works

what stops the bracket from pivoting to the drivers side when u turn right and the damper pulls on it??

mine has a bolt on it but it does not go through anything it rests on top of the original bracket which stop the new bracket prom pivoting to the passenger side when turing left but that wont help when turning right thats why i think its a bit rough is all (Not that iv had any issues with it)

Sontssonts
07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
what stops the bracket from pivoting to the drivers side when u turn right and the damper pulls on it??

mine has a bolt on it but it does not go through anything it rests on top of the original bracket which stop the new bracket prom pivoting to the passenger side when turing left but that wont help when turning right thats why i think its a bit rough is all (Not that iv had any issues with it)

Now that I look at it, nothing really. I'm sure DBO could give a more accurate explanation but I'd just say that providing its bolted tight to the crush sleeve, the dampner will release much easier than the bolt. As long as the dampner doesn't over extend and actually pull the body, job done?

Sontssonts
07-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Aaaaand as said, I've not had any issues either