PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Dan's Question Of The Day!

Dustbowl
27-01-2013, 09:01 AM
So, ad some of you know I've made piss poor progress with my Ford 8.8 Swap, I have just had a revelation... because the ratios will be different, as you all know I would either be able to engage 4x4 and never disengage, or I would be able to simply not go into 4x4.
However, If I used Full time 4x4, Wouldn't the open centre diff "Differentiate" the drive allowing the two Axles to drive as normal?

Cheers Folks.

ruffy01
27-01-2013, 09:34 AM
I asked exactly the same question ~12mths ago, didn't really get an answer :(

Dustbowl
27-01-2013, 09:45 AM
I asked exactly the same question ~12mths ago, didn't really get an answer :(

Haha well at least someone loves me! :p
I Really see it working, did you ever try it or just waited until you re geared?

murray
27-01-2013, 12:04 PM
ok ill give you a answer but you might not like it
you will be able to engage part time 4x4 getting it out will be the laest of your worries the wind up will destroy something inside this means yyou cant use 4x4 low for the same reason.
if you use full time 4x4 by actuating the centre diff function the instant 1 wheel slips you go noware as torque will be appllied to the least resistance
eg rear drivers wheel spins front full grip tourque all goes to the rear spinning wheel as centre diff sends power to rear diff as front has full grip all the power going to the rear diff then sends all power to the rear spinning rear wheel so there you have it all traction stops and you dont move.

SeaComms
27-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Will also depend on how the centre 'diff' is set up. Some have vacuum operated limited slip clutch pack in the centre diff when in full time 4wd. When it detected wheel slip it would lock the centre 'diff' giving 50/50 power split, or the same effect as part time 4wd with front and rear locked together.

If this is the case with yours, spin a wheel and it will lock up and twist something like a pretzel....

murray
27-01-2013, 12:55 PM
xj has a 242 what i said stands

Wooders
28-01-2013, 05:27 AM
Ok my 2 cents.
The NP242 does allow differential action. And I suspect you could run different ratios for a period of time with no serious issues BUT
* Whereas the diff action is occurring normally when turning, you'd be using it all the time,
* You'd be accelerating the differential amount when you do turn,
* This will generate a lot of additional heat and unlike your transmission there's no cooler to help control it.
* The faster/further you drive and the greater the difference in the F&R ratios the worse it will be.

As the fluid heats it will be less efficient and seals/bearings/planetaries/chain/shift pads/etc will all get less quality lubrication and will suffer accelerated wear.
Personally I wouldn't risk it.......

ruffy01
28-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Ok my 2 cents.
The NP242 does allow differential action. And I suspect you could run different ratios for a period of time with no serious issues BUT
* Whereas the diff action is occurring normally when turning, you'd be using it all the time,
* You'd be accelerating the differential amount when you do turn,
* This will generate a lot of additional heat and unlike your transmission there's no cooler to help control it.
* The faster/further you drive and the greater the difference in the F&R ratios the worse it will be.

As the fluid heats it will be less efficient and seals/bearings/planetaries/chain/shift pads/etc will all get less quality lubrication and will suffer accelerated wear.
Personally I wouldn't risk it.......

That's what my thoughts were Dave. Do able but not recommended & certainly not for long.

layback40
28-01-2013, 07:51 AM
That's what my thoughts were Dave. Do able but not recommended & certainly not for long.
X2
My XJ had 225's on the front & 235's on the back for about 20,000km. Only used 4wd for a few short periods with no problem.

This thread has potential. We need a new question each day though.;):mrgreen:

May have to think of a dodgy question !!:confused:

murray
28-01-2013, 09:13 AM
ok heres my question why do some people choose to ignore or throw in a red herring question to sound advice that has been aquired over the last 33years
of jeep ownership?

Dustbowl
30-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks Wooders, Seacomms, Murray, ruffy and yes you too layback :p

Murray you are right, the moment one wheel lifts the whole thing goes down the drain, and accelerated forces on all that spin won't be good.

Dave, thats some good 2c :mrgreen: not until you pointed it out its now obvious the increase in difference over speed, and yes, wear, and heat will be my new issues :hammer:

Layback, more questions to come :p ;) :toilet: :mrgreen: