View Full Version : Victorian Lift Kit legality

codral
31-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys,

I've read that up to 2" diameter tyre size increase is legal in VIC under some new regulations, what's the deal?

I've done a fair bit of googling but am getting conflicting information from every side...

Was wondering whether 33" tyres and a 3.5" lift would pass RWC? Whats the maximum legal lift amount? or is it an overall figure that I need to be concerned about

What would pass RWC?

Also do most late 90's era jeeps come with 31" tyres stock or am I confused?

Cheers...

Cornelius
31-01-2013, 11:42 AM
75mm hight increase overall is allowed , max 2" on the tyres thus 31's are legal anything bigger and youre gone. Unless you have a true TJ Rubicon then you can go 33 tyres as the car came out stock with 31 tyres. Check the sticker on the inside of the door on your car .........

So if you choose 31 tyres then you have 25mm to play with in suspension or body lift ...........

Yes ............it sucks ...........

Cheers...

layback40
31-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi Guys,

I've read that up to 2" diameter tyre size increase is legal in VIC under some new regulations, what's the deal?

I've done a fair bit of googling but am getting conflicting information from every side...

Was wondering whether 33" tyres and a 3.5" lift would pass RWC? Whats the maximum legal lift amount? or is it an overall figure that I need to be concerned about

What would pass RWC?

Also do most late 90's era jeeps come with 31" tyres stock or am I confused?

Cheers...
You are confused !!:confused:
What jeep are you talking about?:confused:
If you need a roadworthy, get it before you do mods!! ;)
A stock XJ sport is 25mm lifted over other XJ's. some Xj's have 15" rims, others 16" rims. :cool:
Best you post what jeep you are talking about, the reason for the roadworthy, any other useful info you have. :rolleyes:
If you upset the PD by acting like an idiot, you could get a yellow canary regardless of what you have.:rolleyes:

mtd
31-01-2013, 12:29 PM
75mm hight increase overall is allowed , max 2" on the tyres thus 31's are legal anything bigger and youre gone. Unless you have a true TJ Rubicon then you can go 33 tyres as the car came out stock with 31 tyres. Check the sticker on the inside of the door on your car .........

So if you choose 31 tyres then you have 25mm to play with in suspension or body lift ...........

Yes ............it sucks ...........

Cheers...

Cornelius is right. Sort of. The tyre can increase in 25mm with an overall 50mm outer diameter increase (eg going from 29" to 31 is ok since you will only gain 1" lift because its a 1 inch increase all around which makes the outer diameter 50mm or 2 inches larger. I hope that makes sence. Anything over and its vass approved only. Ask me how i know.

fwdjeep
31-01-2013, 12:46 PM
My understanding is that victoria has adopted the NCOP rules on modification.
This gives you certain lifts via suspension and tyres without further certification. But if you have EFS then no can't do anything
Look up the www.ncoep.org.au

fwdjeep
31-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Sorry www.ncop.org.au

Cornelius
31-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Cornelius is right. Sort of. The tyre can increase in 25mm with an overall 50mm outer diameter increase (eg going from 29" to 31 is ok since you will only gain 1" lift because its a 1 inch increase all around which makes the outer diameter 50mm or 2 inches larger. I hope that makes sence. Anything over and its vass approved only. Ask me how i know.

Right you are sir. Going to 31 tyres then allows for a little more than just 25mm sus or body lit as the gain has only been 1inch.

Cheers

SeaComms
31-01-2013, 10:06 PM
VIC's adaptation of the NCOP are:

75mm maximum self certified lift (125mm max lift certified), including individual maximums of: 25mm by increasing tyre diameter (2in bigger tyre for 25mm lift), max 50mm suspension lift.

Body spacers can be used up to a maximum of 50mm, but require certification for any body lift.

This is a lift legality table put together by ncop.org.au

http://www.ncop.org.au/forum/download/file.php?id=18&mode=view

codral
01-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Cheers for the info... Surprising they're so stringent considering how popular 4 wheeling is...

So based on that chart 75mm is max (i.e. 2" suspension 1 inch tyre) so a 2" lift with stock tyres will pass a RWC... and the further 50mm you can use body blocks for... So I guess you can legally be high enough (with 2" suspension + 2" body lift) for 33's you just can't run em for the RWC... Interesting, def a good idea to keep original tyres

codral
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Come to think of it, as long as it didn't look ridiculous, surely it'd be hard to measure the difference between a 2 and 3.5" lift kit, standard ride height on a 15 year old car varies greatly right

sladey
01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
i keep hearing that the new 2013+ rubicons are coming with 33's, truth?...fiction?

layback40
01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Come to think of it, as long as it didn't look ridiculous, surely it'd be hard to measure the difference between a 2 and 3.5" lift kit, standard ride height on a 15 year old car varies greatly right
Now you are thinking !! ;)
How many plods would know where & how to do the measurement.
Best have mud flaps that comply & that way you wont look untidy & raise suspicion.
There are plenty of hilux's & pootrols that look ridiculous.
I find if it looks like a farmers car rather than a hoons car, Mr plod is not so interested. If it looks like a retirees car even better. ~ A sticker like "we are spending the kids inheritance" or "gone fishing" helps.
A light bar on the roof is as good as a book me sign.

sladey
01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Now you are thinking !! ;)
How many plods would know where & how to do the measurement.
Best have mud flaps that comply & that way you wont look untidy & raise suspicion.
There are plenty of hilux's & pootrols that look ridiculous.
I find if it looks like a farmers car rather than a hoons car, Mr plod is not so interested. If it looks like a retirees car even better. ~ A sticker like "we are spending the kids inheritance" or "gone fishing" helps.
A light bar on the roof is as good as a book me sign.

I'v added the following to my rig

full coverage guards
mudflaps
cb antenna

not sure that a light bar is a book me sign but i agree If the car looks set up for 'overland' or touring rather than bashing then its a better overall look

and does this sticker count? perhaps I'm doing it wrong... (the sticker on my lowered datto says 'cops hate this' with the facebook thumbs down and I have never been pulled over

ps- the one thing that no-one will avoid, is the booze buses with the rta (vic roads in my case) set up looking to defect, this is a lot different than the local cops or even the highway patrol. also I'd like to the thank the designers of the jeep because 35's on a jeep look a hell of a lot smaller than on almost any other vehicle. and with my original wheels and tyres and springs in the garage who cares if i get defected, give me a half day and it will be all nice and legal like

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w365/sladeXS/45e92a02-a3a3-429d-bcf7-0c111a605af5_zps8f064a21.jpg

jamesthomas455
08-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Very informative thread, i really appreciated the efforts, here i found a website where if anyone is interested in buying the lift kit for their vehicle, can visit https://www.perfectlift.com.au/lift-kits/nissan-lift-kit
hope it helps somehow...
Thanks.

layback40
09-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Very informative thread, i really appreciated the efforts, here i found a website where if anyone is interested in buying the lift kit for their vehicle, can visit https://www.perfectlift.com.au/lift-kits/nissan-lift-kit
hope it helps somehow...
Thanks.

Link doesnt work

Mace1
09-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Worked for me....?

Nanook
09-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Worked for me but it's a Nissan page, you have to search for the Wrangler.

TBH better off getting a lift kit from one of the established vendors from the forums.

RPG
13-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Most standard suspensions are sagged so this makes a new lift always look a bit taller. I run 2.5 inch springs and 31's, I keep everything looking in proportion and have never had a problem. same with lights and accessaries keep them legal anylights above the center line of the existing vehicle light ae illegal and don't do anything to help with extra light anyway.

ajftj
15-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Given all the attention in QLD, I thought I'd try to work out whether my suspension lift and 31's are actually legal on my 04 TJ sport in Victoria.

This threads pretty concise so far (lots get confusing)😀 and good for me as its only Victoria.

As I bought the TJ with a stated 2" lift already done I thought I'd start by just measuring the wheel centre to wheel arch distance. Its 540mm.

Anyone got what standard would be?

relwell
15-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Also be aware of your track width with whatever tires and rims you put on there. In another thread they posted a scan of the QLD checklist the cops will use and lift height, tire size over stock, and track width are the three items they'll be specifically looking for. Operation Lift, I think? You're allowed 50mm over stock.

Now, I wouldn't imagine anyone would be able to look and know you're running tires are too far apart from stock, but if you give them a reason to have a closer look they will notice.