PDA

View Full Version : Back to an XJ I think !!!

Back2XJ
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello all... I am new to this forum, but if all goes to plan I will be an active member.

My love of Jeep started when I lived in the US and I bought a 1996 XJ (2WD) as a runaround. This was a wonderful car and would rank as one of the best I have owned. The wifey and I cam back to OZ in 2001 after 9/11 so we had to sell the Jeep, but we went straight out and bought a new KJ Cherokee Limited. Again a wonderful car, but I didn't think it was as much fun as the XJ.. more of a town car really, and as a result my 4WD days in the bush were put on hold. We had the KJ for 6 years until we traded it on a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7litre V8 (WK). Again, this was a really nice car to drive, although it was more of a soccer mum car than I wanted.

The WK behaved well until 55000K. by this time it was 5 years old and out of warranty so Jeep Australia didn't want to hear about any problems even though it only had low mileage. From 55000K for the next 6 months it was in the shop for 5 of them. It was towed 4 times, had the transmission out 5 times, and even had a brand new transmission installed. At the $10,500 mark I refused to pay the shop more and said fix it on your dime. Every time we got it back it would last about a week then completely lock up in the transmission. We replaced the Transmission, the Transmission Control Module and even the air conditioning condensor (the transmission oil is cooled by the aircon system).

After the last fix, when the shop declared that they had just got it working but didn't know what was causing the problem I finally gave up, chucked in the towel, and traded it on a new Subaru outback for the little lady to drive around. I swore I would never buy another Jeep. BTW it had to be towed between when we ordered the new Suby and when I had to deliver it as a trade in... :(

However, all this has created an opportunity. I'm not about to take a brand new top line Subaru into the bush, and I made a new years resolution that this year I was getting back into Camping/4wding, so I am looking for an inexpensive vehicle to suit the purpose, and for the life of me, in spite of all my problems with the "new" Jeeps, I can't find a better vehicle than the XJ.

So guys, I'm looking for positive stories from you XJ owners to convince me I'm making the right decision, and toi build the argument with the missus that I should buy another Jeep. I would also like to know what to look for when I buy. I don't want to do extreme 4wDing, just off the beaten track kind of stuff towing an offroad camper trailer

thanks for any help
Pete

rainman
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Welcome,
First thing you need to do is decide if you prefer the update body (97 up)/ interior. or the pre update(96 down).
Be aware that in 97-98 some came with a chrysler 8.25" open diff- advantageous if considering going to 32"+ tires. the rest came with a dana 35 rear diff which is considerably weaker- but fine if only going to 31" tires "touring off the beaten track".
Xj's came to australia in '94.
Xj's were fitted with onboard diagnostic 2 from '96 onwards.- there is heaps of cheap aftermarket scanners that can plug in and read the trouble codes/ real time engine parameters of the OBD 2 vehicles. not so with the OBD1 system on the 94/95 models.

The 2001 model came with a low pinion D30 front diff, which is weaker/ less desirable than the high pinion D30 found in the 94-2000. Again something to be aware of, but should not be a problem if just touring off the beaten track with 31" or smaller tires.

All petrol xjs delivered in australia came with a 4.0 l engine, 4 speed auto gearbox, NP242 transfercase (Selec-Trac) & 3.55 diff ratios stock.

keep clear of the diesels.

Have a read of this.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968708

Is my jeep OBD1 or OBD2?
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/1972rainman/Jeep/th_FPR-1.jpg (http://s641.beta.photobucket.com/user/1972rainman/media/Jeep/FPR-1.jpg.html)

good luck with it.

Back2XJ
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Rainman... Thanks

I have been looking at a 2000 Sport model that is stock.. not even a bullbar.
I will probably give it a lift and new wheels/tyres but I will stay within the guidelines set by the RTA coz I don't want to run foul of the new VSCCS certification system.. that rules out 33's.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2001 front diff... I didn't know that.
BTW.. how do you tell which diff has been fitted.. seems there can be Dana 35s, or 44s (I read somewhere you get these with the towing pack !!), 2.5s etc.. all very confusing

rainman
01-02-2013, 11:37 AM
no d44s were supplied in Xj's into the australian market from the factory. D35 & 8.25 (rare some '97-'98 ) only.
people do put TJ d44's under xj's as a upgrade- but that is aftermarket modification.
they way to tell is to look at the diff.
use google images to get a pic of a D35 and a Chrysler 8.25 & a D44 when you have a pic of all 3 with you it is very easy to tell.

LSE3.9
01-02-2013, 12:46 PM
I have owned two XJs in the past - one pre update and one post update.

I think the biggest problem with any XJ now is their age and the distances they have travelled. Many are not maintained like they should be either and are on multiple owner lists. Even with good maintenance things wear out, bodies rust and it is the 'stuff' attached to an engine - auto boxes, transfer boxes, steering components, brakes, electricals, cooling systems, a/c, interior switches etc etc which can make them a nightmare to own some 12 years after the last one left the factory.

A search of the XJ board on this forum might prove beneficial to you.

If going the XJ route I would look hard and long and be prepared to wait a long time for the right vehicle to appear. But if Jeep still made the XJ I'd be in the queue for one - again.

Back2XJ
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
LSE

I agree.. a 12 year old XJ is going to have a higher maintenance cost. I have factored this in to my equation. The problem is if you bought a newer car you would have all the problems associated with electronics, and the associated costs. At least with the XJ, most of the problems are mechanical and the car is pretty basic (compare it to a 12 year old 4runner or Pathfinder). Those I can fix myself (or most of them). Also, the XJ has a whole industry of aftermarket and replacement parts supporting it.

My plan is to by as stock an XJ as possible and over time build it up. Firstly make sure its roadworthy by fixing any mechanical faults that come up.. then make cosmetic/practical aftermarket mods. The way I figure it you can buy an XJ with 200K on the clock for about $5000. If you spend another $10K on it, you have for $15K an excellent vehicle for what I want to do.

From what I have seen on this forum the priority would be;
1, Check the steering box for bolt shear and reinforce with the JKS steering brace system
2. Overhaul the cooling system and install an aftermarket transmission cooler/radiator
3. Overhaul the braking system (haven't decided if rear disc conversion is worth it or not at this stage.. I hate drum brakes, they are a Pain in the $$%$
4. Check engine mounts and other nuts and bolts
5. Check the engine (manifolds, head etc)
6. rest of drive chain (tranny, transfer case, diffs)

As you can se, I am not that concerned about mechanical problems as they can be fixed/replaced. I am more concerned about body/interior/electrical issues as they are harder to repair.

You advice to wait for a good one is well taken... There just aren't many Grannies who drove an XJ to church on sunday :)

Pete

quints
01-02-2013, 02:48 PM
My ex-partner bought a '96 XJ Sport with 170K on the clock for $4.5k about 4 years ago. It needed a couple of things: balljoints, tyres, a water pump, a decent service. But, it already had an Ironman 2" lift in it, a set of extractors and was a clean, straight rig that drove pretty well.

I bought it off her about two years ago. In her two years of ownership it had never gone offroad; having been used solely for kid taxi duties. Once again, it needed a decent service (which I gave it) and that's about it.

I've since added an Airflow snorkel, tidied up some of the (I presume) original owner's 'handiwork', replaced some consumables (brake pads / brake shoes); fitted an Iron Rock Offroad high-flow cat / muffler exhaust; sorted out some niggling suspension ride height issues; tossed a cooling fan thermo clutch at it and that's about it. More recently I fitted a set of Federal Couragia MTs in 30 9.5 15.

It has been a brilliant thing. It's seen a fair bit of the Brindabellas and Kosciuszko National Park. It's done some long highway work (admitedly not its speciality). It's even occasionally jockied for position as the daily driver (it'll never win that slot).

Having had shirt loads of vehicles of all sorts of specifications and applications, I found myself, a little while ago, asking myself if the XJ was perhaps the best vehicle I had ever owned. I was a little surprised at the speed at which I answered 'yes'.

Wait for a good one, Pete. But, I reckon the rest of your logic is sound. You won't regret it.

Catch ya around

eksjay
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
I have an 18 yo XJ purchased from new. The 4.0L I6 ... of course.

I cannot think of any reason to upgrade. The car is as primal in its nature as a crocodile.

Most of its outback touring has been in a stock standard factory floor format.

The only add-ons in recent years? 2 inch rear add-a-leaf and bilstein shockies.

Planning to buy an ARB roof rack for further touring in the XJ, and possibly a bullbar with spotties.

The only thing near it as an upgrade path is a Wrangler Unltd.

undecided
02-02-2013, 05:57 AM
There are plenty of happy XJ owners here. They are great value for money and can be used as a base for just about any application. As has been mentioned many times take your time and try and find one which has basically been a road car