View Full Version : Clamp on front driveshaft

wes
02-02-2013, 07:14 PM
There is a clamp holding a rubber boot on the front driveshaft.

I scraped mine when I was out and about today and it's slipped - you can see the exposed shiny metal in this pic.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59645&d=1359799869

I have tried moving it back into place and it didn't budge - didn't get rough with it because I was concerned about damaging the rubber boot.
Is there a special trick to loosening/tightening these clamps?
Or is a special tool needed?

anthonygubbin
02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
cut the clamp off Wes and use a cable tie. Generally they are a consumable item once squeezed to tighten them up, they need to be replaced if they move.

Regards A

wes
02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
cut the clamp off Wes and use a cable tie. Generally they are a consumable item once squeezed to tighten them up, they need to be replaced if they move.

Regards A

haha thanks - gool ol' cable ties - never would have thought of that! :mrgreen:

I suppose a grub screw style radiator hose clamp would be just as good too.

anthonygubbin
02-02-2013, 08:13 PM
haha thanks - gool ol' cable ties - never would have thought of that! :mrgreen:

I suppose a grub screw style radiator hose clamp would be just as good too.

Yerr probably, I learnt the cable tie trick in the XJ forums as we have the same sorta boot, with the same clamps on our rear shaft.

Regards A

layback40
02-02-2013, 08:19 PM
You may be able to part the crimp with a screw driver enough to get it loose. Then get it back into place & re crimp it with a pair of tile pincher pliers. I have done it a few times on CV joint boots.

rhysTJ
02-02-2013, 08:30 PM
a better way would be a hose clamp.
so the boot can be removed and the splines can be greased , then you wont have driveshaft failure a couple of days before a big trip like me....:cool:

wes
02-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the ideas - I'll see what I can do tomorrow - OK, maybe next weekend :rolleyes:
(It doesn't look too urgent)

Rhys, are you saying I should be greasing something up while I'm down there?

/\ /\ I know that sounds wrong but it's a serious question.

nitrobrent
03-02-2013, 06:53 AM
If the slip joint doesn't have a grease nipple ,you should grease it.The male splines have a hard plastic coating on them.If this gets dry ,it will wear out,and you will get vibration.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59677&d=1359841941

rhysTJ
03-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Thats right.

grease it is a good idea mine was completely floged out almost 5mm of movement....

good excuse for a tom woods i reckon ;)

wes
03-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Thats right.

grease it is a good idea mine was completely floged out almost 5mm of movement....

good excuse for a tom woods i reckon ;)

For the front driveshaft?

rhysTJ
04-02-2013, 08:45 PM
For the front driveshaft?

Yeah theres splines under the rubber boot good idea to grease that often as the stock one does not have a grease nipple there.

If you dont it will wear andhave movement which causes vibes. and it isnt fixable so the only option is to replace the front driveshaft.
so if you dont you'll end up with a tom woods front driveshaft like me... the woods ones are better all round though fully greasable.

anthonygubbin
04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
No nipple on the TJ interesting logic, because the XJ has one on the front drive shaft slip yoke. One of those Jeep things........

Regards A

wes
04-02-2013, 08:53 PM
I've NEVER greased those splines - looks like that will be my first job for Saturday, right after I cut that clamp off.

I didn't know Tom Woods did front driveshafts as well - something else to spend money on :hammer:

rhysTJ
05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
there bloody hard to grease if the drive shaft is siezed... if you splines still move freely you'll have nil dramas and then keep the greasing up and youll save about 700 bucks!

if it is siezed good luck! still doable just a pain in the ass.

krankieone
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Dont use a worm drive clamp as drive shafts are balanced and extra weight won't help the cable tie would be better

wes
11-02-2013, 12:37 AM
After all the great advice, I lubed up the rubber boot and was able to slide the original clamp back into its proper position.
It took a while as I didn't want to damage the rubber boot, but it didn't end up being as hard as it first appeared.