View Full Version : Won't select gear

tigermuzza
06-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Well my poor 2001 tj 5 speed has been sitting in the driveway for around 6 months with a brake issue, all that was fixed today, bled the system and went to go for a spin.
Now I can't select any gear while the engine is running, but it's easy as when the engine is not running,it's got me stuffed.
The clutch feels the same to compress so I'm not really sure

Any ideas??????

Dustbowl
06-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Thrust bearing ceased? Can happen if left sitting too long but feels no different...

Shauny B
06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
I would check if the clutch master cylinder has enough oil, mine did this i wasn't aware it had a slight leak from the slave cylinder topped it up and selected every gear well i am currently still toping it up need to buy a slave cylinder :D hope this helps.

Gianni
06-02-2013, 04:27 PM
I would start by bleeding the clutch
Things I've come across I these types of symptoms are master/slave cyl issues like mentioned with leaks. But if topping up doesn't help try adjusting for a little more throw.

If still not getting gears if look towards gearbox components like clutch or thrust bearing and pivot balls. Sometimes spacing pivot ball with a washer can add extra throw.

Also curious to know what clutch you are using. I've had issues with exedy where the disk breaks and releases the spring which then jams. But that usually means no pedal movement. So unlikely in this case.

Start with fluids (also check under dash for leaks around pushrod). Then look at clutch components itself

Can you rev match it into gear by any chance?

tigermuzza
07-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Well as it turns out the clutch was stuck on, after starting it in gear about 20 times forward and reverse it finally let go with a huge crack and worked fine ever since, never thought it could happen.

Gianni
08-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Hmmm. I would really be checking out wtf caused it. We're the plates seized? Clutch broken. Cylinder seized ect ect.