PDA

View Full Version : TJ Clockspring compatibility

wes
06-02-2013, 11:53 PM
The airbag light has been coming on intermitently for a few months now.
I'm thinking the clockspring is due for replacement.

I'm guessing the same part is LHD/RHD compatible - can anyone confirm?
I don't want to get any nasty surprises at installation time.

Also, my 97 does not have cruise control.
I can get a clockspring with cruise or without cruise.
Will I have any unforeseen problems if I use a clockspring WITH cruise and not have it connected?

It would be nice to have the option of adding cruise one day - and the clockspring with cruise is also a bit cheaper.
But I would not be connecting up cruise any time soon.

Jonny Jeep
07-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Mine's been coming on intermittently for a while too. It usually stays on after start up when it does happen and has only once so far come on while driving. Warning lights have been added to our MOT (roadworthy) checks now so I may need to source on myself before then.

Clocksprings from 97-01 TJs with/without cruise are fine for us 97 owners, I checked the pinout/connectors for somebody recently on Jeepforum.com. Dodge/Chrysler Neon of the same era, if you have them over there, use the same clockspring too.

I don't think cruise was programmed into the 97 PCM so you may not be able to fit an OEM cruise system without swapping the PCM for a 98-99 one. I don't know the switch resistances either so can't say if the Jeep controls would work with an aftermarket cruise control system. I actually fitted a Waeco (MS-50 I think) cruise control system to my TJ. It has a control panel that I fitted above the driver side vent in the center console.

Quick look on US ebay seems like 97-01 Cherokee may be the same fitment too but I'd need to check FSMs to confirm that.

...more info...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/97-02-clockspring-compatibility-tip-489127/

wes
07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Clocksprings from 97-01 TJs with/without cruise are fine for us 97 owners,

Thanks JJ, I suspected as much - great to have it confirmed though :D

I don't think cruise was programmed into the 97 PCM so you may not be able to fit an OEM cruise system without swapping the PCM for a 98-99 one. I don't know the switch resistances either so can't say if the Jeep controls would work with an aftermarket cruise control system. I actually fitted a Waeco (MS-50 I think) cruise control system to my TJ. It has a control panel that I fitted above the driver side vent in the center console.

Great info - hadn't considered PCM compatibility.

And I will get the TJ specific clockspring - they are readily available in the USA.