PDA

View Full Version : Passenger front brake sticking

tigermuzza
11-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm having a major heartache with my brakes. I noticed it after having a play in the mud one weekend. My front passenger brake was grabbing a little bit heating it up to the point of smelling the brakes.

So firstly I ordered a caliper rebuild kit and new hydraulic lines expecting some muck to have worked there way past the caliper seals. To my suprise when I pulled the caliper apart it looked fine. I put new seals in and replace the line and it was still sticking. The slides seemed to move freely also.

Next I thought I'd get he disk machined just to rule out warped disks but no go, still stuck on.

Next I got a 2nd hand caliper from the wreckers thinking I may of stuffed the rebuild kit up but no, still bloody not working.

I've tried 2 sets of brake pads ruling them out, I also cracked the bleed nipple when they were stuck on to see if the loss of pressure would free them up but it didn't so that to me rules out the master cylinder

So now what, what's next to check. I'm out of ideas??????????

tjragtop
11-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Had the same problem a couple of times....

Pull the slide pins.... clean out the rubbers and use a good nickel or copper anti seize on them. They need to slide easily.

tigermuzza
11-02-2013, 11:02 PM
The slides are easy to move, I'm thinking of replacing the master cylinder, it's all that's left

ApacheResistance
12-02-2013, 02:20 AM
If your jeep is pulling towards the passenger side it actually means that caliper is working correctly and the driver side caliper is the bad one.

Have you even looked at the driver side caliper?

Hunno
12-02-2013, 05:05 AM
ABS???
if so it can be a faulty sensor. I tested my ZJ by pulling the ABS Pump fuse & found that was the problem.

tigermuzza
12-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Drivers side is working perfectly, and no abs. Thats why I thought it was mechanical rather than hydraulic because only 1 side was affected

tigermuzza
22-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Well I just replaced the master cylinder, I thought it had to be the culprit since its all that was left to replace but still no, bleed the brakes twice and I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Does anyone think the bearing could be the culprit, it doesn't pull to one side while braking, it's more a slow heating up of the rotor, it takes about 10kms to heat to the point of sticking.

The bearing has no play while cold. no knocking and seems to move freely that's why it was last on my list

Any ideas

rocsolid
23-04-2013, 12:17 AM
If you think its the bearing just swap them around as this will not cost you anything, just your time.

tigermuzza
23-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Well I just swapped the bearings over and no go, still doing it so I think I'll have to buy a brand new caliper, I just cracked the bleed nipple after it got stuck and it still didn't release

7ocko
23-04-2013, 02:08 PM
If you are running the stock caliper pistons buy some aftermarket stainless ones the originals can swell up there a sorta Bakelite compound . There no good at all .