PDA

View Full Version : Tj: dissy or coilpack

Gianni
13-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Hey peeps. Looked at a few TJ's now
Can someone help me out with some Info

What pro's and con's are there between the dissy engines and the coilpack engines?

Any significant differences?

Can you upgrade from dissy to coil and what's involved? Loom, splicing, ecu ect?

anthonygubbin
13-02-2013, 11:12 AM
IMHO I wouldn't even consider the option. Coil packs wear out, dizzys do as well but are cheaper in the long run. Heaps of cars run coil packs these days and they end up costing shitloads to replace. Just my 2c worth.

Regards A

Dustbowl
13-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Never had a jeep coil pack, but in my falcon, 18 years of bush bashing, school runs, two hundred thousand outback k's and midnight burnouts, the EF XR6's original3 pack design was indestructible, I would imagine a coil pack would be a step up from a Dizzy, albiet more expensive yet immune to dust, water and would definitely be a better performer, bus as to a conversion... Not a clue

Gianni
13-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I've had lots of coil pack motors and never had an issue with the dying. Even wired up a few custom coil setups before too. Never worked with a dissy before though on one if my cars. But have known of people who have issues if they wash out engine bay or as you said dust. So curious about the difference.

Would be good to compare ecu pin out chart for a coil pack compared to dizzy ecu
And also the plug on dizzy to plug on coilpack/igniter.
Oh and ecu part numbers. See if the ecu itself is different

anthonygubbin
13-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Jeep ones are not like the EF ones they have three coil packs and the whole thing needs replacing if one goes as normally is the case with all individual coil pack engines. I doubt whether there would be any performance increase over a dizzy. The issue with a Jeep coil pack is they are not going to be $99 from Sprints Auto. The other issue is if the coil pack fails you are off the road. Where as at least with a dizzy it will wear out but theorectically you will have time to get a new one before it won't run. Admitidly I ave not read a post on here where a coil pack has failed but if they are like Rav 4s and BA+ Fords, which this is a common issue then the fix is not cheap and is a fair bit of mucking around to do the job.

Regards A

Gianni
13-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Good points :) that answers my concerns then. Was just making sure an earlier model 96-2000 wouldn't be inferior to the later tj's. I've found out the boxes are different but still just as strong (probably just different ratios)

Dustbowl
13-02-2013, 02:58 PM
AG, you're right... So we need to use falcon bits? :mrgreen:

anthonygubbin
13-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I see no good points about Fords. The only Ford I would own would be a Gran Turino. The rest are shit and like my mech said "Fords are always gonna have problems".......:0=

Regards A

Dustbowl
13-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Oh... Fords have been the most reliable cars I've owned... Difference in experiences ay :p
I think I'm going to blow some big bucks on an F-250 one day :mrgreen:

projoe
13-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I've got 2006 TJ auto only has 40,000k on her but performance wise compared to my 1993 GLI ford s/w is a universe away (both cars seriously serviced) i'd have a coil pack & ecu any day the jeep performs well above my expectations & i just checked on price & delivery cost from USA (rockauto) $103.33 standard brand $180 aus delivered for a new coil pack that was the most expensive . made in USA product. (73.89 aus cheapest plus shipping)
this post was good reminder to put one in my next order to the states. thanks.

anthonygubbin
13-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Well three head gaskets in three years that is why I sold my EF 3 years ago for $500 just to get it outa my sight. The issue was it had a warped block but I was told that could not happen. I actually thought that very thing when I reinstalled a reco head myself after it had a blown head gasket twice before. I measured a gap in the blocks surface but under advice assumed that a block can not warp. BS, I should have scrapped the engine soon as it blew the second time. It may have been OK if I fitted a Ticford (red top)when the gasket went the second time.

Regards A

Dustbowl
13-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I've got 2006 TJ auto only has 40,000k on her but performance wise compared to my 1993 GLI ford s/w is a universe away (both cars seriously serviced) i'd have a coil pack & ecu any day the jeep performs well above my expectations & i just checked on price & delivery cost from USA (rockauto) $103.33 standard brand $180 aus delivered for a new coil pack that was the most expensive . made in USA product. (73.89 aus cheapest plus shipping)
this post was good reminder to put one in my next order to the states. thanks.

Ford S/W?
I've always had a blue oval soft spot :p

Dustbowl
13-02-2013, 03:24 PM
I have heard a bit of blowing Gaskets with the EF/EL models... I never believed it but like you said, I've only ever owned Red Rockers

Gianni
13-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Can't say I have ever owned a ford. Even though a relative owns a few ford dealers. Ha ha. It would take alot of hear to warp a block. Then again I blew a block doing 40km/h once. Rod right through side and through the sump. Whoops. Don't trust anyone else doing your timing belt. Ha ha.

Richo
13-02-2013, 05:10 PM
As far as I know the dizzy and coilpacks motors are both rated at the same HP and torque. Happy to be corrected....

Dizzy are easier and simpler if something goes wrong. Coilpacks are more water and dust proof. And probably more exxy to fix if something goes wrong, but I've never heard of Tj coilpacks crapping out.

Dustbowl
13-02-2013, 06:08 PM
As far as I know the dizzy and coilpacks motors are both rated at the same HP and torque. Happy to be corrected....

Dizzy are easier and simpler if something goes wrong. Coilpacks are more water and dust proof. And probably more exxy to fix if something goes wrong, but I've never heard of Tj coilpacks crapping out.

Not quite, Yes, yes, not sure and true. :mrgreen:

The coil pack is better set for bigger leads, standard they allow more current to be delivered to the plug, a distributor begins to generate static between the terminals at high rpm, this interferes with the spark delivery, however slightly correctable with a crank sensor, it's rather noticable with high HP motors, but thats all getting a bit carried away... these are jeeps not 1/4 mile monsters... we will stick with coil pack resists water and dust, distributor is servicable :)

Fat Chili
13-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Dizzy are easier and simpler if something goes wrong. Coilpacks are more water and dust proof.

True - but it is also very easy to increase the water and dust resistance of a dizzy.... I drilled and tapped the cap on my 2000 model dizzy, then ran a filtered breather hose into the cabin on mine in 2005, it's not had any water or dust ingress. cheap and easy.

Wooders
14-02-2013, 08:26 AM
True - but it is also very easy to increase the water and dust resistance of a dizzy.... I drilled and tapped the cap on my 2000 model dizzy, then ran a filtered breather hose into the cabin on mine in 2005, it's not had any water or dust ingress. cheap and easy.

You can also run an airline from a small pump to pressurise the dizzy if you are doing lots of wet stuff.
OP - IMHO i wouldn't worry about either pack or dizzy - get shops for the other features you want.

bonza
14-02-2013, 01:39 PM
the worst thing about the coilpak is disconnecting the electrical connector as it is a real so and so and up near the firewall so hard to get to.
thay seem to last forever though, but id I had my preferences would much prefer a dizzy, but I am ols skool and also would prefer a carby

as far as Fords go, my other half had a 1990's LTD for years and sold it to a friend when it reached 280,000 Ks. they then put on over 120,000 bringing it up to well over 400,000 Ks. with the engine still as strong as an ox and never failed to run.
pity about all the other things like electric windows, door locks and even the seat had collapsed by then