View Full Version : ATF+4 oil

low ranger
18-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi all, I`m in the process of fitting my SYE kit & I have a couple of queries. The Jeep dealer here doesn`t have any of the rubber sealing washers that fit behind the uni joint flange retaining nut. Anyone tried a suitably sized O-ring? The local Snooper Bleep store says that the ATF+4 oil is genuine Mopar also. Is this true & what do you all use for transfer case lube?
Thanks in advance...
Rick

ozjeepster
18-02-2013, 04:00 PM
ATF+4 is genuine mopar trans fluid & is also used in the transfer case , there are also good brand substitutes for the ATF + 4 , she'll , penrite , penzoil all have there own version & all are okay to use :)

ozjeepster
18-02-2013, 04:03 PM
As for the sealing washer , what sort of sye kit , if its a hack n tap just use some oil resistant silastic or the same stuff u seal your diff covers with , that's all I used on both my Xj 's and never had a leak ;)

glend
18-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Those Super Bleep guys will sell you (and tell you) anything and they know next to nothing about it. I would stick with ATF+4 for the auto transmission (Simply because there are so many problems that can happen with mixing fluids, and there are not many fluids that are spec'd for the Jeeps (G5 is one that is, but hard to find) but for the transfer case Nulon has a good ATF which is a univeral mulitvehicle synthetic fluid.

rhysTJ
18-02-2013, 09:08 PM
dx-3 is what is used in TJ transer case's.
AS IT IS IN MANY OTHER APPLICATIONS.
they use a recomendation guide... dont beleive them do it yourself.
penrite valvoline castrol any of them have a lube guide on there site.

permaseal blue or loctite greymax will be fine for the o-ring

bonza
20-02-2013, 06:59 AM
ATF +4 is specified for the auto transmission and for simplicity and to prevent the possibility of mix ups, Jeep also specify the same fluid for the transfer

example, with older autos, ATF +3 was specified and the transfer also had this fluid specified even though the earlier transfer is the same as later models

the auto is fluid specific and what is specified in the owners manual must be adhered to, but the transfer is not and any ATF can be used, but do not mix fluids in it. I use Dexron III in mine, only because it is plentiful and cheap

low ranger
21-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks again for the information. I bought some Penrite ATF MHP for $12 per litre. Mopar wanted $32 for theirs. It`s not all about the money though...I just wanted good quality at a realistic price.
Cheers,

briteway
21-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi low ranger, have a read of some of the info in this thread, I just received mine from the US: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1355639

Works out at $11.50/L including delivery.

But MPH is also fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

wes
21-02-2013, 07:52 PM
I've been getting Mopar ATF+4 from the local Jeep dealers.
The 1 gallon (3.785 L) containers are about $53 which works at about $13.70 per litre.

briteway
21-02-2013, 08:47 PM
I used to get it for $63 (~$16/L) plus I wasted time and fuel to go and get it (30km round trip ~ $9 fuel in my HEMI), then last time I rang the dealer, he wanted $80. So getting it to my door for under $12 is a bargain.