View Full Version : Some advice for buying a TJ Wrangler

boogs
21-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to start another "looking to buy" thread. I have had a look around the forums but can't find a thread with answers to all my questions.

So I'm looking at buying my first Wrangler. My current car is a 1996 VS Commodore which is in a very sorry state. I hired a 4x4 hilux recently and went to Fraser with it and now I'm hooked. So I just want some advice on what to look for in buying a TJ. My budget is MAX $15,000 so I'm fairly limited to 2004 or older and 100,000kms+. I'm looking at a Wrangler because:

- They look sexy
- Made for offroad
- They seem to hold their value well
- They look sexy

Any objections?

- What is considered "high" km's for a Jeep? There seem to be plenty for sale with 200,000kms+ around the $10,000 mark which I always thought was high. Are 150-200,000km wranglers still worth it? Will I have to do a lot of work?

- Any particular models/years I should look for/avoid?

- Manual or Auto? - Probably prefer Manual unless there is a reason I shouldn't?

- Looking for one with a hard top, but it's my understanding that if it has a hard top, it also probably comes with a soft top? What is a bikini top?

- I want to go 4wding. I'm still a noob, so nothing too extreme yet. Probably just to Fraser/Moreton/beach driving. I will probably end up going out with mates or joining a club, so I might do something more extreme at a later date. I am looking at ones that have had some mods done because I don't want to have to upgrade things on a stock car that is old. What upgrades should I look for? What are essential?

- Can anyone add any advice on what it's like to drive a wrangler if you are very tall? I'm 192cm/6'3"

- Do all models come with a roll cage or is that an extra?

- Any other advice or tips?

- Are parts reasonably priced and readily available?

I have my eyes on this one, just phoned and the price is now $13,500: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burpengary/cars-vans-utes/2004-jeep-wrangler-suv/1013731170

Thanks very much :)

slayer
21-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to start another "looking to buy" thread. I have had a look around the forums but can't find a thread with answers to all my questions.

So I'm looking at buying my first Wrangler. My current car is a 1996 VS Commodore which is in a very sorry state. I hired a 4x4 hilux recently and went to Fraser with it and now I'm hooked. So I just want some advice on what to look for in buying a TJ. My budget is MAX $15,000 so I'm fairly limited to 2004 or older and 100,000kms+. I'm looking at a Wrangler because:

- They look sexy
- Made for offroad
- They seem to hold their value well
- They look sexy

Any objections?

- What is considered "high" km's for a Jeep? There seem to be plenty for sale with 200,000kms+ around the $10,000 mark which I always thought was high. Are 150-200,000km wranglers still worth it? Will I have to do a lot of work?

- Any particular models/years I should look for/avoid?

- Manual or Auto? - Probably prefer Manual unless there is a reason I shouldn't?

- Looking for one with a hard top, but it's my understanding that if it has a hard top, it also probably comes with a soft top? What is a bikini top?

- I want to go 4wding. I'm still a noob, so nothing too extreme yet. Probably just to Fraser/Moreton/beach driving. I will probably end up going out with mates or joining a club, so I might do something more extreme at a later date. I am looking at ones that have had some mods done because I don't want to have to upgrade things on a stock car that is old. What upgrades should I look for? What are essential?

- Can anyone add any advice on what it's like to drive a wrangler if you are very tall? I'm 192cm/6'3"

- Do all models come with a roll cage or is that an extra?

- Any other advice or tips?

- Are parts reasonably priced and readily available?

I have my eyes on this one, just phoned and the price is now $13,500: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burpengary/cars-vans-utes/2004-jeep-wrangler-suv/1013731170

Thanks very much :)

That looks alright and ok kms on it!
I'd probs stick to a manual,but that's just personal pref.
Bikini top is a soft top but only covers half the car(like a ute).someone correct me if I'm wrong please!!
Mate im 6'2" and no dramas.very comfy!
All models come with the "sport cage"!this is not a roll cage at all but offers some protection!
Parts are pretty easy to get a hold of.plenty of vendors on here
And advice and tips....get into a jeep ASAP!!!!!!you won't regret it!!!!