View Full Version : Custom intake

Gianni
23-02-2013, 07:26 AM
I installed the snorkel yesterday. But haven't hooked it up to the air box yet. Looking at the setup there will be a fair amount of bends in the intake and alot even though the air will be colder, the air flow rate won't be as good.

My thoughts are to run the snorkel straight to the throttle. I've followed the intake and looks like there is no maf or afm, so this looks easily done. Just need to work out an air filter option. Maybe a small custom box along the way

Any thoughts or anyone done this before?
And how does the motor sence air on the TJ. I can't see an afm

mika
23-02-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm no expert but a smaller air box/ filter might reduce air flow more than the bends.

Ando_13
23-02-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110194

Gianni
24-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't think so. The inlet hole of the stock box will only let in "x" amount. The size of box is simply noise reduction

wes
25-02-2013, 01:14 AM
The air intakes on TJs were specifically designed to be non-restrictive.
The stock TJ air intake is more than capable of easily flowing more air than the engine can use at WOT (wide open throttle) and redline RPM.

low ranger
26-02-2013, 01:14 PM
I noticed a significant improvement to fuel economy after fitting my snorkel kit. That suggests to me that there is an air flow improvement rather than a restriction from the fitment. I`m still running the stock paper element too. Probably get even better with a K&N or similar.
cheers,
Rick

Gianni
26-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Fitted the snorkel. Now to run the pipe to intake. Removed plate under brake booster and looks like there is a box with a cable in the way. What is this. Can I remove it. Anyone have a pic if their setup?