PDA

View Full Version : 03-06 softtop bracket question

wes
23-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Howdee folks,
Can someone with a 03-06 sofftop check their softtop brackets for me?

I've had a 03-06 sofftop on my 97 since I bought it.

It fits OK, but the rear side windows bulge (or get sucked in) sometimes and I've always wondered if the fit could be a bit better.

Finally got around to trying out some 03-06 sofftop brackets to see if it makes a difference.

This is a pic of my stock 97 bracket.
You can see the whole bracket really hugs the rollbar.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60130&d=1361617512

Here's the 03-06 bracket bolted on - it sits out a fair way from the rollbar.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60131&d=1361617512

Another pic of the 03-06 bracket (from the top) showing the gap.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60132&d=1361617512

Can someone with a 03-06 unzip their padding and have a look at their bracket - I was wondering if the later models have something on the rollbar filling that gap or if it looks the same as my pics.

H.G.
23-02-2013, 08:38 PM
yep they have thicker padding.. I have an 03... there is a hard foam paddign to make the roll bar appear thicker..

the top will usually suck in if you drive with the windows down or up and the fan on.. and blow out if you have the air conditioner on with windows sealed.... my guess is the air is thicker.. but Ill leave that assumption to the scientists..
you will also find against all odds.. that you tend to get better fuel consumption with the air con on and windows up.. as the blown out windows decrease your drag.. it sounds a little mental but its a fact.

wes
23-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Cheers H.G.
I knew about the thicker padding on the later models.

I was more concerned about the curve in the later model bracket not getting any support from the rollbar.
The early model bracket hugs the rollbar all the way round.

I see the 03-06 brackets have some 'ribs' - mabe this is to give them some strength without being supported by the roll bar (?)

I'm not too sure about your window theory **)
Pretty sure I've had my windows suck in with the air-con running.
I've definately had one side sucking in and the other blowing out at the same time.
I thought wind direction might be a factor but have nothing to back that up - just a theory I was working on on a long outback trip :D

Anyhow, I'll see what happens with these later model brackets - I've seen some TJs and the tops and windows are tight as a drum.
The windows on mine move with the wind when the vehicle is parked.

The 03-06 brackets are a bit longer and should stretch the top out another centimetre or so - might be enough to tighten it up a bit.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60138&d=1361624110

But I'd feel better knowing if the 03-06 brackets are supposed to be supported behind the big curve in them.

Jonny Jeep
24-02-2013, 04:48 AM
The brackets are not supported by anything. The ribs are what give them the extra strength for sitting out further.

tassiecj6
24-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Hey Wes ,
Where did you get the later model bracket ?.
I have the same issue with our TJ ,06 top on a 97 TJ.
Its not a major issue for me but if I can fix it cheaply ,that'd be good .;)

wes
24-02-2013, 09:10 AM
The brackets are not supported by anything. The ribs are what give them the extra strength for sitting out further.
Thanks JJ - I was hoping that was the case.

Hey Wes ,
Where did you get the later model bracket ?.
I have the same issue with our TJ ,06 top on a 97 TJ.
Its not a major issue for me but if I can fix it cheaply ,that'd be good .;)

Got them from Morris4x4 - I was ordering other stuff and just had them 'thrown in' - postage on the more important parts was going to be the same whether I got the brackets or not.
Like you say, not a major issue but I just wanted to try it.

I haven't put the softtop on yet (maybe this arvo - or later in the week) I'll post up when I try it and let you know how it goes.
The only feedback I can offer so far is the 97 rollbar padding was hard to get over the 03-06 bracket :)

tassiecj6
24-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Got them from Morris4x4 - I was ordering other stuff and just had them 'thrown in' - postage on the more important parts was going to be the same whether I got the brackets or not.
Like you say, not a major issue but I just wanted to try it.

I haven't put the softtop on yet (maybe this arvo - or later in the week) I'll post up when I try it and let you know how it goes.
The only feedback I can offer so far is the 97 rollbar padding was hard to get over the 03-06 bracket :)[/QUOTE]

thanks for that ,It will be interesting to see how it goes.
I got a quote from Morris4x4 too --brackets around $33 -freight $50 :(
Quadratec were even dearer .!!
I got some from a wreckers for $20 .
If yours fit better ,I might chase up the late model ones too.

Mudnguts
24-02-2013, 01:49 PM
No other supports on my 06 brackets.
With the bow/suck on the windows, I had the drivers one suck in and the passenger one bow out and found that the strap that runs from the rear to middle roof bows had torn out where its rivited on. Once fixed the windows both suck in and the noise level has dropped at speed...a smidge

wes
10-03-2013, 04:05 PM
No other supports on my 06 brackets.
With the bow/suck on the windows, I had the drivers one suck in and the passenger one bow out and found that the strap that runs from the rear to middle roof bows had torn out where its rivited on. Once fixed the windows both suck in and the noise level has dropped at speed...a smidge

Those 'retaining straps' popping off seems to be fairly common. I put some washers under the rivets on mine before re-attaching them.
Actually, may have used screws instead of rivets, but I definately used washers as well.

wes
10-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I have a '97 TJ and have been running a 03-06 softtop.
I've been very happy with it but always wondered if the fit could be improved (or not) by using the softtop rollbar brackets from a 03-06 model.
The later model brackets stick out a bit more and should theoretically make the top tighter.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=60138&d=1361624110

I put the 03-06 brackets on a couple of weeks ago and only just got around to trying out the sofftop with the new brackets.
The top was a bit harder to put on.
The 3 rear windows are much tighter (less flappy)
The rear sail panels are much tighter - almost feel like they are solid.

tassiecj6
10-03-2013, 05:58 PM
looks like I might have to chase up later brackets !!!
thanks for letting us know .

wes
17-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Well it's been a couple of months...
As I said before, Using the 02-06 softtop brackets really firmed up the softtop on my 97.
But now, after 2 months the softtop is starting to 'peel-up' at the back due to the greater tension.
Not sure how much of an issue this is. I've seen the same thing happening to varying degrees on other peoples softtops but I never had this happen when I had the old 97-02 softtop brackets on.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61882&d=1368790697

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61881&d=1368790697