View Full Version : All Terraine tyre advice

izzy
07-03-2013, 12:32 PM
ok, so i was looking at getting some BF Goodrich All terrains... but im going through the same guy as dad is (hes getting something for the landcruiser) in order for a mutual benefit discount type arrangement, and they dont stock them.

they can do Maxxis A/T for $179 each tyre (fitted). does anyone have anything to say about them? or have another brand of AT they can recommend?

Will239
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM
What size are you looking at getting?

izzy
07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
i currently have P235/75R15 maxxis radial 751 's that came on the jeep when i bought her... so the same size as those i assume...

Wooders
07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
BFG A/T were great back in the 1980's. And that's where they belong.
Awful tire in mud, scary on wet roads, ordinary on gravel.
I'd rate the maxxis above them.
But therea a huge range of good A/T's out there these days.
personally I like the Duratracks we run on our DD.

izzy
07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
thanks for the response wooders :) ill have a look at the duratracks

izzy
07-03-2013, 03:46 PM
wooders: ive been looking at the goodyear duratrac reviews and everyone seems to like them in the short term, though there are concerns about the thickness of the sidewall and longevety. i need something that will last as i do not have the funds to be replacing tires relatively regularly.... so far the maxxis AT's are looking good.

bonza
07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
one good thing about BFG A/T is that they dont wear out. mine have done 100,000Ks and still have heaps of tread left, sidewalls are impregnable as have been spiked but didnt penetrate. that being said are fairly hopeless in clayey mud and have to be careful on wet roads

n_dorphin
08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
I dont like the BFG A/T's. Had them on 2 cars when purchased and they are crap of road.
I like the Maxxis 753. Good alround and not that noisey on road.
my 2c

anthonygubbin
08-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Maxxis AT's are ok I won't be running them again though. They are low a mileage tyre, 60k tops. I found them not so great in mud and slippery on wet roads if you lock up like happened to me 9-10 times. I nearly rear ended twice and I was not going fast. I locked them up at 90kph and thankfully the wheels stayed straight but hitting the roo was not pleasent. I now have Federals in an MT but I am looking at only 30-35k out of the set. I am seriously looking at Micky T's as they last ages and from what I can gather have good reviews. If you are after a decent AT, with decent mileage I would consider a Yoko or Toyo the Jap tyres are pretty decent from what I have heard and you will get decent mileage from them. The other AT's taht are receiveing good reviews are the new Bridgstones in a AT. light truck construction. I have spoken to 4WD owners with them and from what they say the Bridgstones are really good on sand. Not sure if you pan that type of use but a bloke told me he only aired down to 18psi and was climbing on sand. My Maxxis I had to go down to 12psi to have any success on Perin Dunes in Tassie.

Regards A

Jeeps
10-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm running bridgestone D697's. Really good tyre. The BFG's definately look better and tougher but they are quite bad onroad in the wet, i didn't like my BFG AT's. The D697's are really good onroad, especially in the wet. They also have a stamp on the side that says "Made in Japan", so the build quality should be up there.

cheers

izzy
10-03-2013, 11:43 PM
thanks for your responses people :)

Duk
11-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Been running Maxxis AT's on my GU ute which will need changing in another 5K. Will get 75K out of them at the change (15 months) - have been ok with 90% road use and balance off road (thats whats the CJ for)- will I buy the same agian - probably not but only because of the wide choice out there - as per Jeeps post above I previous ran D697's which were good - also ran Kumos AT's on the TJ a few years back when it was daily driver which seemed OK. Such a choice these days

Abraxix
11-03-2013, 08:17 AM
no one has made mention fo the yokohama Geolanders / Pirelli Scorpian AT's and normally they are a tyre people RAVE about?

personally i have the yoko's and pirelli's and the pirelli's are wearing so much better on & off the road. grip in the wet.. well what wet? we've had floods and around corners and along the straights you wouldn't know it's been raining with the pirelli's on. - yeah okay offroad they aren't the best, the clog really fast and no self cleaning - thier not a mud terrain though so why would they.

as for the yoko's i dont' like them it's personal preference for me, i find them wearing allot 'faster' under the same pressure and the same weights in the car. (vitrually driven the same) - offroad they are probably +side of average i'd rate them above the pirelli's but only just as they don't appear to clog up as much!!!

otherwise i've also had the cooper ST's and they are amazing for longentivity, (you pary for that though) - they lasted alot longer than any other tire i have had, and can withstand a reasonable beating, again though i would rate these above the pirelli / yoko's at they are a bit of a more aggressive AT :)

good luck and let us know how you get on :)

millhouse
11-03-2013, 10:26 PM
General grabber at2 is also a great all rounder and pretty decent in the dirt n mud

Cornelius
16-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Look into the Hankook Dynapro ATR mate, exelent prices, great tread patern. Been running these in 33's on the TJ for over a year and they are bloody great:D

walldog
16-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Look into the Hankook Dynapro ATR mate, exelent prices, great tread patern. Been running these in 33's on the TJ for over a year and they are bloody great:D

Get the DynaPro MT a mate has been using them for years on his GQ (33's) and I've seen him follow similar set up vehicles on club runs running Simex centipedes, if only they imported the 35 into Oz

carvesdodo
16-03-2013, 01:56 PM

X 2.

Been running Hankooks for ages ... Yes - theres probably better tyres out there - depending on your needs ... but bang for buck - they are a good allrounder.

Available sizes are listed on their aussie website.

The M/T is s'posed to be surprisingly good on the bitumen ... but your wear rates will be up and handling diminished .. as with any MT.

Ran the old A/T pattern on the TJ and 1st XJ ... and have been using the new A/T pattern, which seems a bit better and is s'posed to have better than average sidewalls - on this XJ for about 12mnths.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Tyres%20and%20Wheels/RF10Hankook01b.jpg

eksjay
16-03-2013, 09:09 PM
no one has made mention fo the yokohama Geolanders / Pirelli Scorpian AT's and normally they are a tyre people RAVE about?

personally i have the yoko's and pirelli's and the pirelli's are wearing so much better on & off the road. grip in the wet.. well what wet? we've had floods and around corners and along the straights you wouldn't know it's been raining with the pirelli's on.

I don't believe Pirelli is making the Scorpion AT any more :( for if they were, I would still be using it. I also agree that the Yoko Geolandar is a good tyre, the old Geolandar.

It appears that Pirelli and Yoko have both foresaken their AT in favour of AT/S which doesn't wash with me.

I am in the market for new tyres: my picks to replace my Goodyear Silent Armors?

Duratracks, Silent Armors, Bridgestone D697s not in any particular order.

jun180
17-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I have mickey Thompson atz 4 4ibs, fantastic tyres. Very smooth, quiet and good in the wet.

bonza
17-03-2013, 02:24 PM
as an aside, I think you will find that Mickey Thompson tyres are produced by Cooper. they seem to own a lot of tyre factories. I use Avon motorcycle tyres on my bike and they too are owned by Cooper

if interested you can see who and where they are actually made by checking http://www.carbibles.com/tyremanufacturercodes.html

The first group of letters or numbers in the DOT code will tell you the manufacturer and the place they were made

eg, the Goodrich tyres on my heep have the letters BE preceding the DOT code, meaning they were made in the Uniroyal factory in Alabama

Nauti Buoy
02-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Heya people. Need some new boots for the TJ sooner rather than later. (was thinking this week) budget is around 250 or so per tyre.
Currently i have some Sumitomo knockoff version of the BFG at's which lasted a long time and suited my needs, but were, funnily enough, crap on wet roads and i think a different tread pattern would be good. I had a fairly decent lockup under braking due to a numpty with a deathwish, and have some pretty good flat spots that you would expect from stopping on Stirling highway as fast as possible. i've noticed this thread is pretty old so was curious as to any new developments in tyres.

I don't really do much serious offroading in the TJ as it's my daily drive now, but i do like to get it on the tracks occasionally. hence the AT option. It's as stock as you can get, so was thinking of a similar tyre size to 30x9.5xr15 (what i have now).

So far all my poking around has left me with an opinion of not wanting to get BFG's but not really being able to figure out what is actually half decent and still in production.

Cheers!

WH_5.7L
02-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Heya people. Need some new boots for the TJ sooner rather than later. (was thinking this week) budget is around 250 or so per tyre.
Currently i have some Sumitomo knockoff version of the BFG at's which lasted a long time and suited my needs, but were, funnily enough, crap on wet roads and i think a different tread pattern would be good. I had a fairly decent lockup under braking due to a numpty with a deathwish, and have some pretty good flat spots that you would expect from stopping on Stirling highway as fast as possible. i've noticed this thread is pretty old so was curious as to any new developments in tyres.

I don't really do much serious offroading in the TJ as it's my daily drive now, but i do like to get it on the tracks occasionally. hence the AT option. It's as stock as you can get, so was thinking of a similar tyre size to 30x9.5xr15 (what i have now).

So far all my poking around has left me with an opinion of not wanting to get BFG's but not really being able to figure out what is actually half decent and still in production.

Cheers!
I recently bought a set of 31s. Mickey Thompson ATZp3 $270 a tyre in WA.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Nauti Buoy
02-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Second Question.
anyone heard if General Grabber AT2's like to snap axles?

WH_5.7L
02-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Second Question.
anyone heard if General Grabber AT2's like to snap axles?
I don't think it matters with tyre brand. More to do with tyre size and driving style.

Billnick
02-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Check these guys out. Based in WA.

https://www.tyresales.com.au/?gclid=CjwKEAjw-uDABRDPz4-0tp6T6lMSJADNoyPb1dIuOgCHvutgMB_27hgqIJYC_5V-PaTD7NCvhNEeXBoCqf7w_wcB

WH_5.7L
02-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Check these guys out. Based in WA.

https://www.tyresales.com.au/?gclid=CjwKEAjw-uDABRDPz4-0tp6T6lMSJADNoyPb1dIuOgCHvutgMB_27hgqIJYC_5V-PaTD7NCvhNEeXBoCqf7w_wcB
I found tyre sales to be more expensive than local tyre places... so pays to shop around...

Billnick
02-11-2016, 06:16 PM
I found tyre sales to be more expensive than local tyre places... so pays to shop around...

I just bought some 30" BFG Muds and saved $100 /tyre. I was able to fit them myself and I love them to bits.

WH_5.7L
02-11-2016, 06:23 PM
I just bought some 30" BFG Muds and saved $100 /tyre. I was able to fit them myself and I love them to bits.
Can't go wrong with a deal like that...

Nauti Buoy
04-11-2016, 12:22 PM
thanks for the input :-)

cherren
11-11-2016, 08:26 AM
if anyone looking for a really quite ATR the Yokohama ATR in a 32" tyre on my TJ is super quiet.