View Full Version : TJ cowl snorkel/intake

Tassie Jeeper
07-03-2013, 02:02 PM
hey guys a mate of mine has a snorkel set up on his range rover that looks really ace i hate that the safari snorkel goes right down the side of the jeep (nearly floor height at lowest point) i think its a silly design because it gets submerged frequently and if there are any leaks you are highly prone to getting water in the intake.

for example i had my jeep bogged in a water hole granted i had water level with the winscreen rubber but i was only in there long enough to get 4" of water in the floor and when i pulled it out i popped the bonnet (engine was running the whole time mind u) there was 2" of water inside my air box needless to say i was not impressed.

after 18 months of un-employment i have a work trial starting tuesday if all goes well i hope to keep said job and will thus have an income :shock: so ill be able to work on getting the jeep back on the rd.

currently the jeep sits with a cooked engine, destroyed gearbox, the transfercase works fine atm but the chain is stretched and showing signs of wear.
all the bushes and ball joints are flogged and also the tie-rod's and steering arms i replaced 12 months ago are gone too.

my plans for the jeep when i get some money are:
LS1-GEN111 AUTO.
Atlas2 transfer?
maybe claytons long arm kit?
stock axles trussed and rcv shafts for 37" tyres already have air lockers (might replace with detroit) or even swap out my axles depending on difficulty and registability i still need to talk to the local engineer my cousin is a mechanic and has worked with him before and said he is a god bloke and good to work with.

i thought about putting poison spyder Highline defender "fenders" front and rear and thus the hole where my safari snorkel is currently will no longer be there, so i thought rather than drilling a new hole in the defender flare for the safari id look at other options like a cowl style fender.

i have some questions about the cowl area and firewall?

i found a picture of this jeep on youtube for the (jambo AUS) so im sure someone is familiar with this jeep id love to know more about his snorkel setup and a link to a thread if available.

here is the snorkel on my mates range rover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Nathan aka Tassie...

anotherblacktj
07-03-2013, 08:45 PM
I was looking at these as I wanted a snorkel to work with my roof rack http://www.riverraider.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=39&product_id=190

Sontssonts
07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Summit racing do a sweet system. Strait to the centre air intake in front of the windscreen. Inline filter etc. check it on their site, I can't do it on my phone ATM

Tassie Jeeper
07-03-2013, 10:22 PM
cheers for the reply guys but i really want to run it up the edge of the windscreen i need to find more information on the green jeep...?

Tassie Jeeper
14-03-2013, 07:27 PM
anyone got more info on the green jeep?

itchy
18-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Have a look o n rubiconowners.com i copied one of theirs, breathes through the cowl vent to a K&N Apollo filter, there are pics of mine on AJOR somewhere?

itchy
18-03-2013, 04:04 AM
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107378&highlight=cold+air+intake&page=2

Tassie Jeeper
18-03-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107378&highlight=cold+air+intake&page=2

thanks itchy but i want 1 right on the side of the windscreen not in the middle i just dont know whats under that pannel next to the cowel

Tassie Jeeper
18-03-2013, 06:51 PM

this is what im after

GR_76ers_Iverson_3
18-03-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-hummer-intake-write-up-buick-airbox-473981/
don't know if this is what you are after?

tassiecj6
18-03-2013, 08:17 PM
this is what im after
Why ?? looks crap !!:eek::eek:

Sontssonts
19-03-2013, 05:15 PM
That's just a cowel set up plumbed to both sides with a T joint I recon. The cowel is pretty hollow...

Tassie Jeeper
20-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Why ?? looks crap !!:eek::eek:

because i think the safari design is stupid going so low if its not perfectly sealed ur more likely to suck wather with it than u would with a standard air box.

That's just a cowel set up plumbed to both sides with a T joint I recon. The cowel is pretty hollow...

that 1 i beleive doesnt go through the cowel but actually looks to go through the rounded part of the jeeps body i dont want to cut holes there till i know whats underneath

Tassie Jeeper
20-03-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-hummer-intake-write-up-buick-airbox-473981/
don't know if this is what you are after?

thats close but if u open the link ant look at the first picture i want the snorkel about 4"/400mm mor towards the outside of the car

Sontssonts
20-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Judging by the hood scoop and the positioning of those latches if say there's a lot more under there than just a modified air intake

Tassie Jeeper
20-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Judging by the hood scoop and the positioning of those latches if say there's a lot more under there than just a modified air intake

agreed but the air intake is all that im interested in:cool::cool: