View Full Version : Engine running rich

LEZ
07-03-2013, 07:03 PM
My 2002 5 speed manual has developed a drinking problem :confused:, not all the time and goes away on rough dirt roads after a good shaking about :confused: have checked all the likely suspects ,air cleaner restriction o2 sensors , now has more power than normal but exhaust note seems deeper suspect cat converter is on way out ??? every think, else seem to function fine have checked dash codes normally comes up with .
Default 5 for 5 speed
soft ware 2.1
no faults
odometer reading
then dash cluster self test
Now comes up with the following during the self test.
Default 5 for 5 speed
soft ware 2.1
BuS 60
paneL 0pen
odometer reading
then dash cluster self test , :eek::confused: . Have checked all the code lists but none match , have tried to clear using the battery disconnect. and with a OBD 11 tool , it also reads it as having no faults and will not clear this from the display .Engine light has not come on at all, but works fine during the self test. Has any one any ideas :confused: or is my Jeep just saying it wants to be driven more on dirt only ??:o:o:o
LEZ

thirsty_TJ
07-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Mine was doing very similar to yours and was playing up a bit and has now given out the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. Might be worth giving them a quick look. Apparently easy to swap over but I haven't done it my self so cant say for sure.
Just another thing to check and make sure it not the issue :)

dave4x4
08-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I've got a 99 wrangler and I've replaced the gasket when I put extractors on it and it really wasn't fun to fit because of the positioning of the bolts but as long as you get a thick gasket and a bit of gasket putty it will be all good ( mine is and it's running 6psi of boost through it :)

Mine was doing very similar to yours and was playing up a bit and has now given out the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. Might be worth giving them a quick look. Apparently easy to swap over but I haven't done it my self so cant say for sure.
Just another thing to check and make sure it not the issue :)

thirsty_TJ
08-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I've got a 99 wrangler and I've replaced the gasket when I put extractors on it and it really wasn't fun to fit because of the positioning of the bolts but as long as you get a thick gasket and a bit of gasket putty it will be all good ( mine is and it's running 6psi of boost through it :)

Mine is a 99 as well. Has extractors but no boost unfortunately. Glad im getting the mechanic to change the gasket then as it was him who told me they were easy enough to do. :)

LEZ
08-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Any one, any other ideas ??? What it could be manifolds appear ok, but still has the same message in the fault code read out .:confused::confused: normally displays no faults:):) or a
PO number in the display if at fault is present.
Now reads BuS 60 then paNel oPen :-o:-o as mentioned in the first post
Still have not found what this code means :(:(
LEZ

josh9465
08-03-2013, 05:28 PM
what about a cracked header that you cant see

Tassie Jeeper
08-03-2013, 05:45 PM
what about a cracked header that you cant see

that would probably account for the louder exhaust note...

mine is and it's running 6psi of boost through it :)

is it any cheaper to run?
is it supercharged or turbo'd?

LEZ
08-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Will have another look, and get in the engine bay with a cold start :) Thanks Josh for suggestion . The exhaust does not sound any loader at all only a slightly deeper note hence why I was thinking the catalytic converter may be burning out :eek: But still no luck finding the meaning of the code:confused: as mentioned in the first post . Has any one got a list what the code may mean :) as it is not mentioned on the normal code lists :(:( All ideas welcome :D just trying to be proactive before any failure may occur :eek:
Lez